Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ph_gregoire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 1 of 11

P50 HDMI still not working even after thunderbolt FW upgrade to NVM 25.00

I have followed instructions to install n1etf08w.exe as per https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-....
There is no setup.bat after extraction but only a FwUpdateTool.exe, which eventually manages to get NVM Firmware version to upgrade to 25.00: 2019-05-24_13-57-51.png

But even after this, my external monitor is activated but stays black, no image shows up.

Moreover, the whole vide system performance is extremaly sluggish as soon as an HDMI cable or device is connected, although there is almost no CPU or disk activity.

This used to work, problem occurred after base firmware and drivers updates, possibly also after Win10 update, not sure which has been the triggering factor.

What esle can I do to fix this? It is a rea problem since I cannot even use a projector.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 480
Message 2 of 11

Re: P50 HDMI still not working even after thunderbolt FW upgrade to NVM 25.00

Hi ph_gregoire! Welcome to our forums community. Have you tried using a different cable or try connecting to a different external monitor to check if the issue persist? Try running the Hardware scan from the Lenovo Vantage app to check if there are hardware failures. If none, run the update and install all available updates through the same app.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ph_gregoire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 460
Message 3 of 11

Well, the problem appeared as a consequence of installing a batch of updates.
So, yes, I'm at the latest on all drivers.
I tried all different sorts of cables and monitors, none work.
It is not a physical connectivity problem at all. The monitor detects that something is connected, but stays black. As long as a HDMI device is connected, display performance of TP is sluggish (although CPU stays at <15% usage)
freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 435
Message 4 of 11

Hi, could you please share why you believe updting thunderbolt firmware would affect HDMI?

Secondly, have you tried changing from hybrid to discrete graphics in the BIOS?

Thirdly, did you manage to find another HDMI cable to try?

ph_gregoire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 417
Message 5 of 11

1) This thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-P50-HDMI-not-working/m-p/2264525#... which eventually leads to https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/SF16-T0051 explains  that "The external HDMI video is routed through the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt chipset".

2) The BIOS Graphics mode has not changed, it worked as is before. I had tried switching it but that did not have any effect.

3) As posted above twice, yes I tried several HDMI cables and several different Monitors or HDMI-VGA adaptors or thunderbolt-HDMI adaptor.

When a HDMI monitor is plugged-in, graphics performance of the P50's display becomes sluggish, can't move windows around smoothly, but CPU is not affected (runs idle at <15%).  The simple fact of having a HDMI cable plugged-in ruins perf on the LCD display. External monitor wakes up when connected (e.g. power LED turns green whereas it was yellow in standby), and shows up in Display Settings as second monitor but remains blacked-out.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 391
Message 6 of 11

I Have two W10 P50 with updated thunderbolt firmware and thunderbolt application.

One is running the latest as of May 2019 Lenovo provided Nvidia driver. (Windows 1809)

One is running the almost latest Quadro May 2019 (430.64) downloaded from Nvidia. (Windows 1903)

Both are currently in Hybrid Graphic setting.

I have used the HDMI port on both machines, yesterday and today without any issue connected to different devices.

Therefore I suggest uninstalling and cleanly ire-nstall the latest Lenovo provided intel and Nvidia driver package before proceeding further.

ph_gregoire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 370
Message 7 of 11

This is exactly what I've done. Uninstalled Thunderbolt software, reinstalled latest (from Intel), upgraded BIOS and Thunderbolt Firmware , PM firmware as well as it is a prereq for ThBlt. I've downgraded BIOS to previous versions, re-upgraded it. I'm at the latest of what Lenovo System Update can determine on my machine.

Overall, I've spent about 2 full cumulated days trying out empirical recipes to get my P50 back in shape, after it has ben mangled by what should have been a routine overhaul of drivers upgrades.

Now I'm not really after empirical advice on what could/should work, I'm after a reliable method for diagnosing what's wrong with my system.

In my company we have a choice of Mac vs TPs. My colleagues have been pressuring me to switch to a Mac, and I think that's what I will end up doing...

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 337
Message 8 of 11

Just to be clear I am talking about reinstalling the graphics device drivers.

The P50 has a combined Nvidia and Intel package:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1edl34w.exe

If possible use DDU:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

To clean out any old drivers first.

Based on what you describe, your employer have probably not installed Lenovo Vantage or System Update. I would follow up with Installing (Lenovo) System Update and check what other device drivers might be missing also.

Getting a Mac is another option since current ones lack HDMI port altogether.. Problem solved.
ph_gregoire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 293
Message 9 of 11

Okay, thanks for the links.
BTW, I do have Lenovo System Updates and Vantage, this why I wrote " I'm at the latest of what Lenovo System Update can determine on my machine."
Now, over that, I installed a fresh Win10 on another SSD, and with that one HDMI works again. Which means that the firmwares are not the issue per say.
Latest nvidia driver from nvidia did not solve the problem, I'll try the combined package you're referring.
freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 283
Message 10 of 11

Based on your feedback I would recommend uninstalling the existing Nvidia and Intel packages with DDU before adding the latest lenovo driver for reference.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors