Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,671
Message 91 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

Don't shoot the messenger here, but I've been attempting to follow up on this issue to get some more info.  The feedback I've gotten from the development team is that they are working to release a HDD parts kit that will include both SATA cables.  That's all the info I have at this time, but watch this space for further updates.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
StaticRick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,660
Message 92 of 171

Thanks nittany turtle!  Nice to know that someone is looking into it.  I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of these cables.

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 1,624
Message 93 of 171

I've received my second P50 to replace the first.

I posted the first unboxing video on Nani.today: http://www.nani.today/?p=8558

I checked out the laptop hinge and on mine is seems to be working fine. 

Check out the video to see more.

Next, I will be uploading a first power on video, and then get to the drive changing and cable video.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 1,571
Message 94 of 171

@psuturtle: is there any chance you could ask if they have a part number for the rubber HDD bracket or if they intend to offer a kit including 1 cable and 1 bracket? I believe I'm not the only one planning to make use of the M.2 slots for sheer performance and the HDD slot for added storage.

Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 1,526
Message 95 of 171

A kit with BOTH cables should not be the 1st "solution", because it seems that most purchasers of the P50 would need only one or the other (over and above the cable, if any, that might have come with the P50), given the current situation.

• If the P50 was purchased with one non M.2 drive, then that unit would only need EITHER the right or left cable for a 2nd non M.2 drive depending on where the configuration drive was located (presumably the right bay and so would need the left cable).
  • If the P50 was purchased with an M.2 SSD and no non M.2 drive, then it would only need the cable for the right bay in order to add a non M.2 drive.

In order to need a kit with both cables, one would have had to purchase the P50 with only M.2 drive(s), then remove the drives(s) and install two non M.2 drives. I'd be willing to bet that this is extremely rare because it would presumably only happen if all M.2 drives failed and one had to use two non M.2 drives as a "fix"

The ultimate solution would be to design out special cables and trays entirely (but that doesn't help right now).

The best solution for the P50 going forward would be to supply 2 cables and 2 trays with the unit, even though some of them are not needed for the initial configuration. This would only cost a few dollars per unit. That solution would have already saved untold time for many people during this launch.

Even if the cables and trays were provided going forward, Lenovo would still need to create individual kits to both (a) satisfy existing jilted customers and (b) provide for customers for whom cables may fail in the future.

Further, if all cables and trays are not provided with the unit, the individual kits should also be selectable options during configuration. This at least lets the consumer know that they may be required to carry out their plans for the P50.

W530 i7-3820QM K1000M 32Gb Ram
850 PRO 1TB, 840 PRO 512GB, 840 EVO 500GB mSata
DELL UP3017, DELL U2715H, (both via mDP)
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,415
Message 96 of 171
Moved:

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,443
Message 97 of 171

The ultimate solution is to elimiate the cables at all.  Someone said that would defeat the purpose of having M.2 and 2.5" drive share the same bay.  It wouldn't if Lenovo redesign the bay.

IMHO, Lenovo could put M.2 connectors on one end and put 2.5 form factor connector on the other.  If both bays were designed like that, we would have up to four M.2 drives or two 2.5" drives.

Four M.2 drives can form a RAID 5, which will be a killing feature of a workstation.  The 2.5" form factor connectors could be SFF-8639 (U.2), which is backward compatible with SATA.

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,422
Message 98 of 171

Please keep on topic. This thread is about acquiring a very particular cable. Not benchmarks. Although very intriguing and the result information is appreciated - we finally got the attention of lenovo recently and would hate to see this thread diluted. Suggestion : Bump to new thread and create a quick reference from here if you would like ?

As for the cable , as of yesterday the US Quotes department still has no new information.

Moderator comment: See above. Thank you for the heads-up.

Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 1,233
Message 99 of 171

"The ultimate solution is to elimiate..."

Yep. That's what I meant by "... design out...". I probably could have phrased it a bit better.

W530 i7-3820QM K1000M 32Gb Ram
850 PRO 1TB, 840 PRO 512GB, 840 EVO 500GB mSata
DELL UP3017, DELL U2715H, (both via mDP)
FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 996
Message 100 of 171

Any updates in terms of an FRU for the HDD cage or possibly a HDD cage + cable kit yet? Thanks to some helpful information from several users here, we've arrived at a point where we know exactly WHAT is needed, but still no word from Lenovo on how to actually obtain said parts.

The 00UR835 cable is still listed by IBM Parts Europe with a 6 week delivery time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals