Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 6,308
Message 11 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

@Phil__C wrote:

If you look at the very clear image linked above by the OP, you can see the two SATA connectors on the exposed green areas of the board above and sort of outside the HDD bays

@DSperber -- Does the cable that came with your HDD have a part number on it?  It would probably be a different number than the FRU number, but might at least be a clue.

I see.

I didn't realize these were SATA connectors.  They appear in this photograph, but not identified specifically in the HMM.  You'd honestly never have any idea that's what these were from the manual.  But now it's obvious, as is the need for the two different cables.

As far as your suggestion to actually examine the existing HDD cable (in the right bay) to see that part number and conclude that the other one shown in the PSREFs list must be for the left bay, well that's an excellent idea.  Unfortunately I don't have a P50, I have a P70.  And the interior design is very different.  There are no cables, and there is no possible use of the M.2 bay for a second HDD since that's what the optical bay is for.  And both the primary HDD bay and optical bay are both for SATA devices, so they have a SATA connector inside the bay for push-on direct connection to the drive.  No cables and external SATA connectors outside the bay like the P50 appears to have.

Sorry, I can't help on this one.  But if anybody else in the world has received a P50 (unlikely?), perhaps they might help.

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 6,253
Message 12 of 171

I have to retract my comment on the drive bay/slot numbers being wrong in the HMM.  Once analyzed and compared to the numbering on the physical computer in the photo, they do make sense.  Part of the confusion is that the M.2 slots can hold SATA drives instead of the NVMe dirves.

So the 2.5" drive bays would hold:

(slot 0) ATA HDD 0

(slot 1) ATA HDD 1

The M.2 bays would hold:

(slot 0) ATA HDD 2 (really SSD), or NVMe 0

(slot 1) ATA HDD 3 (really SSD), or NVMe 1

The mis-naming problem is with the cable part numbers that you might have to buy separately: calling them:

00UR835 Cable,HDD,slot3

00UR836 Cable,HDD,slot4

Those slot numbers relate to nothing.

Also, the blow-up diagram and parts list on pages 50 and 51 of the HMM show only the lefty cable for HDD 0, calling it simply "hard disk drive cable".  No cable is shown for the other 2.5" bay.

Lenovo does not seem to be on the ball here.

SethHodge
What's DOS?
Views: 6,037
Message 13 of 171

I received a P50 today with the expression intetion of adding a m.2 SSD in addition to the platter drive. (We always try and have dual drives, the SSD for OS and programs and the platter as a local backup.) Here is what I found.

The two ports on the bottom of the P50 are M.2 slots with module key B. They can accept SATA and PCIe x2 SSDs, though technicaly the interface may support PCIe x2, SATA, USB 3.0, audio, PCM, IUM, SSIC, and I2C. I have tested a B- and M- keyed SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB, MZ-N5E250BW) and verified it identifies in the BIOS in either slot and is bootable. I do not have a PCIe x2 (NVMe interface) drive for testing, but the BIOS does identify 2 NVMe slots, which are likely these same two slots (as mentioned by Phil__C) only with differently keyed drives. These slots can accomidate 22mm (width) by 80mm (lenght) drives.

There is also an additional slot beneath the keyboard to the right of the RAM and directly adjacent to the wifi module. This is a module key B slot and can only accomidate 2242 cards. I tried a Transcend 256GB SATA III M.2 drive (TS256GMTS400) in that slot, but it was not recognized at all by the system. (On an aside, don't judge me on the Transcend drive. Size 2242 drives are very difficult to source and the last generation Lenovo ThinkPad T 550 series only accepted this size SSD (in addition to the standard 2.5" slot). This slot may be strictly PCIe x2, which would prevent a SATA SSD from working.

Additional tidbits. There are 4 memory slots, 2 beneath the keyboard (one occupied) as well as 2 on the rear. With the correct cable and caddy a 2nd 2.5 drive could be installed. The M.2 slots also likely require a caddy, though I do not know the SKU.

I have a picture that shows the M.2 interface very clearly if someone can explain how they are pasting them into the message. I appear to only have "Rich Text" as an option.

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,022
Message 14 of 171

Anyone have any news on this topic? I'm still waiting for a solution for being able to install the 2.5" HDD / SSD drive into the P50 as well. It seems Lenovo is quite confused themselves on the issue. I've been told the "Tray" is FRU 00UR798 , and when I received a quote back from the IBM Quote Dept , they gave me a price of $142.00 USD, but, that can't be correct. My first thought was maybe it included the 500GB 5400 Drive in that price, which I do not need. The M.2 Tray is only $9.99, and is currently already available on Lenovo's website for anyone to order retail. 

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 6,019
Message 15 of 171

As far as I know, the 2.5" HDD caddy is not for sale.  It only comes with the 2.5 HDD.  So you either wait for aftermarket product or order a 2.5 HDD from Lenovo.

I ended up order a P50 with dual 2.5" HDD.  Another three week wait.  Smiley Sad

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,014
Message 16 of 171

Can you tell me if that FRU, includes the caddy + cable? 

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 6,010
Message 17 of 171

There's no FRU for caddy.

Primary HDD cable is UR835.  Secondary HDD cable is UR836.

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,001
Message 18 of 171

Interesting, so, in theory I can get away with just ordering the cable, and I can create a make shift caddy / plate to hold it into place. I've actually done that without any issue previously in other ThinkPads until I can get the tray. Do you know for certain, if the UR835, or UR836 is for the 2.5" bay, that is not on the M.2 Sata side? The default location for the HDD in other words? You may also be shocked to know that Lenovo Quoted me $412.00 USD for the 00UR835. Someone is smoking something good over at Lenovo. They said the 00UR836 has no price yet, and is not available.
helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 5,997
Message 19 of 171

The "default" HDD bay is the one on the right, where there's no M.2 slots at all.  The cable there is UR835.

The secondary HDD bay is the one on the left, where there are two M.2 slots.  The cable is UR836.

UR836 is not in stock due to "low demand".  Lenovo probably don't want people install after market HDDs.

SethHodge
What's DOS?
Views: 5,989
Message 20 of 171

Do you have the FRU for the M.2 Tray(s)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals