Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 2,115
Message 41 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

Sorry to say that, but that retailer obviously an amature and didn't test before talking.

Here are the cold facts based on my hands-on test and multiple conversations with Lenovo:

1) There's no bracket for sale for 2.5" HDD/SDD drives.  There's no part number or FRU for the 2.5" bracket.  But I believe aftermarket product will appear pretty soon.

2) There are two different HDD cables for 2.5" drives: UR835 and UR836.

UR835 is the "primary" (HDD 0) cable, which is for the drive bay that does NOT have M.2 slots.  This cable is currently listed with crazy price tag (412 USD or 429 Euro).

UR836 is the "secondary" (HDD 1) cable, which is for the drive bay that has two M.2 slots.  This cable is listed for 21 USD but "out of stock".  No ETA when it'll be available.

3) UR835 and UR836 is NOT interchangeable.

Believe me, I've tried that myself.  The SATA connector is directional (meaning it can only be connected one way).  So the only way to "reverse" the cable is to flip the drive (so the cable is underneath).  However, there is a fitting space in the bay just for the SATA connector.  When you flip the drive, the SATA connector can't fit in that space anymore.  This causes the drive misaligned with the sides (with large angle) and introuces tension to the cable.

Starney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,004
Message 42 of 171

@helloguys wrote:

[...]

2) There are two different HDD cables for 2.5" drives: UR835 and UR836.

UR835 is the "primary" (HDD 0) cable, which is for the drive bay that does NOT have M.2 slots.  This cable is currently listed with crazy price tag (412 USD or 429 Euro).

UR836 is the "secondary" (HDD 1) cable, which is for the drive bay that has two M.2 slots.  This cable is listed for 21 USD but "out of stock".  No ETA when it'll be available.

[...]

Yes, I am aware of that. That corresponds with my retailers statement, as they currently do not now when the UR836 will arrive for their needs.

@helloguys wrote:

[...]

3) UR835 and UR836 is NOT interchangeable.

Believe me, I've tried that myself.  The SATA connector is directional (meaning it can only be connected one way).  So the only way to "reverse" the cable is to flip the drive (so the cable is underneath).  However, there is a fitting space in the bay just for the SATA connector.  When you flip the drive, the SATA connector can't fit in that space anymore.  This causes the drive misaligned with the sides (with large angle) and introuces tension to the cable.

Maybe I put it wrong. My retailer stated, that it indeed is possible to use the UR835 - but not by flipping the drive, as you said, but with the following approach (I am translating from the originally German statement here):

"[...] For the other (empty) HDD slot you need a little workaround. The cable is attached to a plastic film. You need to loosen the cable to place above instead of beneath the HDD/SSD. The loosening itself is very simple. Afterwards the cable won't be squeezed and won't be under tension (or pressure). Thus it is fail-safe and cannot be compared to be a flub. As you are going to use the cable with a non-original device, warranty purposes do not matter anyway. [...]"

I do not feel that my retailer is an "amateur" - based on their statement they in fact did test it, as they are not able to order the UR835 as well, but are offering their customers to upgrade their P50 with an additinal 2.5" HDD next to one or two M.2 devices. So they are using the workaround described above by themselves.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,988
Message 43 of 171

Unless your retailer has a different cable.  If it's the original UR835 cable, I can bet you $1000 their "workaround" is IMPOSSIBLE.  I have P50 and U835 in hand.  That's why I dare to bet.

"For the other (empty) HDD slot you need a little workaround. The cable is attached to a plastic film. You need to loosen the cable to place above instead of beneath the HDD/SSD. The loosening itself is very simple. Afterwards the cable won't be squeezed and won't be under tension (or pressure)."

UR835 consists of three different piecies in a "L" shape:

1) A soft cable that forms the vertical line of the "L".

2) A hard SATA adapter that forms the horizontal line of the "L".

3) A L-shape plastic film, glued to the two pieces above.

Yes, the plastic film can be taken off.  It will not affect the function of the UR835.  But it will NOT give you extra cable length either.

On UR835 the cable is soldered to the left side of the SATA adapter because the flex-cable connector on the motherboard is located on the upper left corner of the HDD (Primary HDD, also known as SATA HDD 0).

On UR836, the cable is soldered to the right side of the SATA adapter.because the flex-cable connector on the motherboard is located on the upper right corner of the HDD (Secondary HDD, also known as SATA HDD 1).

In order to use UR835 for secondary HDD (without flipping the HDD), the soft cable has to cover the length from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner of the HDD (which is the hypotenuse of a right triangle).  That is IMPOSSIBLE.  Simply because the cable is not long enough, regardless the L-shape film exists or not.

Ask your retailer send the picture of UR835 being used on secondary HDD (without flipping the HDD).  My $1000 is ready.  Smiley Happy

Starney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,959
Message 44 of 171

Sorry, you did not read properly - I was not talking about the 835. I was offered a 836 cable. Based on the manual and the information you provided above, this is the longer cable (as it is for a potential HDD/SSD in the left bay and thus needs to last from the lower left to the upper right corner). If I'd receive one of these, I - based on your description - will be able to use it in the right bay.

To stress this a little more: My future setup should look like this - as shown there, the cable uses the shortest path to the mainboard connector possible. So, basically my assumption is: I can use both, the 835 AND the 836 cable. I just take the first one available (and the cheapest obviously), as I would like to use the bay on the right, which is the only usable one if you would like to have both an M.2 SSD and a 2.5" SSD set up.

I understand your point, but this is not what I was talking about - it was about using the UR836 cable the whole time ;-) I'll quote myself here (my first post in this thread):

@Starney wrote:

Furthermore they will inform me as soon as a cable is available, although they can only offer one for the left case (where the both M.2 SSD slots are -- ADDITION: so it's about the UR836, as stated by yourself here -- ). This cable, they told me, is usable for the right slot as well, but needs to be inverted for that, as on the left side the cable is connected under the device, while on the right side it needs to be positioned above it (as you can clearly extract from the several documentations referenced throughout this thread as well). 

So, I guess we were just talking at cross purposes - thus I assume your bet is irrelevant ;-)

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,953
Message 45 of 171

Do you have a picuture of UR836?

I was told by Lenovo support that UR836 and UR835 have the same cable length.  They are basically mirrored:

1) UR835 cable was soldered to the left side of the SATA adapter.

2) UR836 cable was soldered to the right side of the SATA adapter.

With that said, you cannot use UR835 in the place of UR836.  You cannot use UR836 in the place of UR835 either.  Thus I don't understand the retailer's "workaround".

I was also told that UR836 was out of stock - nobody can find it anywhere.  I'm surprised that your retailer offered you the option of UR836.  And I suspect the retailer even know what the UR836 looks like.

UR835 is in stock.  You may order it from Lenovo and get it within days.  If you can get a UR835 easily, why would you need a workaround (use UR836 in the place of UR835)?

Starney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,888
Message 46 of 171

I simply explained the suggested solution of my retailer.

Of course I would prefer the correct cable. But for now there was stated by different users that it costs more than 400 €. Do you have a link?
helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,875
Message 47 of 171

The solution from the retailer simply doesn't work.  As they haven't seen the cable themselves.  If they saw the cable, they'd know it's impossible to "work around".

The 400 € price is probably an error.  Lenovo didn't care to fix it because the UR836 cable is out of stock.

Right now, the only way to get the UR836 cable is to order two HDDs along with the system.  After market product will emerge on eBay pretty soon.  Then it should be around $10.

noderblade
Paper Tape
Views: 1,754
Message 48 of 171

hello , i'm another happy p50 owner Smiley Wink

you said that you have UR835 cable - can you tell me where you got it ? and how much it costs ?

i need only this primary cable (not where m.2 slots are) but it seems there isn't any option to order it

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,726
Message 49 of 171

I got it with the system as I ordered 500GB HDD with the system.

noderblade
Paper Tape
Views: 1,717
Message 50 of 171

and how about m.2 ssd caddy ? is there possibility to buy it yet ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors