Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

unfortunately only for USA ;/ not available in poland (where i come from) ;/

Cubbi
Punch Card
Views: 1,249
Message 53 of 171

@helloguys wrote:

The solution from the retailer simply doesn't work.  As they haven't seen the cable themselves.  If they saw the cable, they'd know it's impossible to "work around".

The 400 € price is probably an error.  Lenovo didn't care to fix it because the UR836 cable is out of stock.

Right now, the only way to get the UR836 cable is to order two HDDs along with the system.  After market product will emerge on eBay pretty soon.  Then it should be around $10.

It seems that this problem is already resolved. A reseller in Germany offers both the right-hand cable (UR835) and the left-hand cable (UR836) for 9€ now.

So I guess both will be able to order from Lenovo for a resonable price too.

Cubbi

mireczatko
Paper Tape
Views: 1,243
Message 54 of 171

Hi Cubbi, will you provide the link, please?
Cubbi
Punch Card
Views: 1,237
Message 55 of 171

@mireczatko wrote:
Hi Cubbi, will you provide the link, please?

Sure:

http://www.ok1.de/2-5-SATA-Kabel-ThinkPad-P50-00UR835--1047.html

http://www.ok1.de/2-5-SATA-Kabel-ThinkPad-P50-00UR836--1048.html

I guess other resellers will follow shortly.

Cubbi

mireczatko
Paper Tape
Views: 1,214
Message 56 of 171

Thank you very much! :-)
Mirec

driekus22
Punch Card
Views: 1,158
Message 57 of 171

@Cubbi wrote:

@helloguys wrote:

The solution from the retailer simply doesn't work.  As they haven't seen the cable themselves.  If they saw the cable, they'd know it's impossible to "work around".

The 400 € price is probably an error.  Lenovo didn't care to fix it because the UR836 cable is out of stock.

Right now, the only way to get the UR836 cable is to order two HDDs along with the system.  After market product will emerge on eBay pretty soon.  Then it should be around $10.

It seems that this problem is already resolved. A reseller in Germany offers both the right-hand cable (UR835) and the left-hand cable (UR836) for 9€ now.

So I guess both will be able to order from Lenovo for a resonable price too.

Cubbi

A little more reasonable. I am surprised the Lenovo reps could keep a straight face while saying 400 for a small cable.

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,141
Message 58 of 171

I wouldn't call this issue resolved based on something that hasn't actually happened yet. We need to be sure and verify these will actually ship domestically and at a reasonable price point. Right now, relying on a single international (german) website that claims a 3-4 week lead time is no solution in my opinion. I say single because there is no other website anywhere yet with this part number listed. That German site may not ever even have access to the cable and could just be marking it for future purpose in hopes they can acquire the parts.

noderblade
Paper Tape
Views: 1,119
Message 59 of 171

I've placed order on this german site for two cables (left/right) and m.2 caddy, order status is "in progress", so i think we'll have to wait to check if it will actually ship Smiley Wink

in my opinion it's lenovo's supply / logistics chain fault  - it's obvious that theese parts do exist - because you can buy a laptop which has them in it - but they simply didn't manage to ship them and set reasonable prices in database Smiley Wink

surely this kind of part couldn't cost more than 10 eur.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,071
Message 60 of 171

My P50 with 1TB*2 RAID is on the way.  This seems to be the only way I can get the two HDD cables quickly (though I don't need the RAID at all).

Let's do the math based on Lenovo website:

1) The cheapest storage option is single 500GB HDD.

2) If you want the 2nd HDD cable and the HDD frame/caddy/tray, the cheapest option is to add a 2nd 500GB HDD without RAID, which is $140 USD more than option 1.

3) If you ordered RAID, the cheapest option is 1TB HDD*2, which is $200 more than option 1.

I opted for option 3 because:

1) I NEED the 2nd HDD cable and HDD frame.

2) Comparing option 3 with option 2, with $60 more, I got double of the storage space (2TB vs. 1TB) and RAID option (even though I don't need it, it give us an option).

The prices above are before any discount.  If you got any discount, the differences will be even smaller.

I won't use the 1TB HDDs though.  I'm going to use a 1TB SSD and a 2TB HDD.  The stock 1TB HDDs will be laying around as spares or I'll probably use them for some HTPCs.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors