Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkTek
Punch Card
Views: 1,552
Message 61 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

helloguys wrote: though I don't need the RAID at all

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have been following the RAID discussion on this forum for some time, but this is the first time someone has said anything related to disabling RAID on a RAID-provisioned P50/P70.  So, I know that if you want RAID, you must initially order a P50/P70 with RAID, since the motherboards are different between RAID and non-RAID P50's/P70's.  The question is, if you want to disable RAID on a RAID-provisioned P50/P70 (and literally start over with a fresh machine), are you able to?

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,543
Message 62 of 171

It depends how you define "motherboards are different".  The RAID function was provided by Intel chipset (CM236 on Skylake platforms).  So hardware wise, there's no difference.

However, Lenovo hides the RAID menu option from BIOS if you didn't order it from Lenovo intitially, which we joke about as "RAID tax" as you'll have to buy Lenovo disks in order to enable the RAID (and Lenovo's disks are always overpriced).

Back to your question, yes, RAID can be disable (not to use) if the system orignally has it enabled.  But not the other way around.

I also heard that someone can hack the BIOS to unhide the RAID menu.  But I've never tried that.

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 1,446
Message 63 of 171

I'm confused, I have a P50 and want to add a 2" SSD. do I need the UR835  or US836 cable?

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 1,436
Message 64 of 171

Got nowhere with parts, support, sales. They basically said the cable is not available and they don't know when it will be.

My cheapest and faster option is to return the system, and order with a 500GB hard disk. That will get me the cable and everything I need to put an SSD in. I'll sell the hard disk on ebay and finally have the system I wanted.

Talk about making it hard to do the most simplest thing!

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,420
Message 65 of 171

One OTHER option to consider, for someone who does not need all 3 drives. I originally planned on 1 - M.2 , and 1 - 2.5" SSD.

Instead, I ended up ordering the M.2 Tray, and I already had a 512 GB M.2 non-NVMe spare, and installed that instead.

Realized I didn't really need 1.5TB, and 1TB is just as ok with me. I would like to maybe consider adding a 2.5" later, but really, for the speed differences by that time, I am sure 1TB M.2's will be available, so I don't see the need any longer. It is a slight bummer that I won't be able to use my 1 TB 2.5" SSD, but, it sure makes for a good backup / external drive and a USB 3.0 Adapter.

Point being, maybe isntead of worrying too much about the cable, spend the money where it's better speant if you are going to have to spend any extra than you planned, and buy a 2nd M.2 drive. Samsung 850 or 950, I have 1 of each model. Quite happy with this configuration honestly now. (Don't forget the 2nd M.2 Tray for 10 bucks )

I will be ordering the cable when it becomes available just to have it on hand.  

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,411
Message 66 of 171

It really depends on each person's needs.

For me, I definitely need two 2.5" disks as I run a lot of virtual machines.  M.2 drives is not an option due to their limitation on capacity and high price tag.

Even if the capacity and price were the same, I'd prefer one 2.5" SSD over two M.2 drives.  Because:

1) In order to use the full capacity of two M.2 drives, RAID0 is inevitable.  I tried to avoid RAID0 because it adds a failure point to the mix.

2) I've read multiple cases that M.2 was easily overheated and performance drops dramatically.

Right now, my plan is:

1) Use 2.5" 1TB SSD as my primary drive (system, apps, and data).  Might consider upgrade to 2TB SSD when price drops.

2) Use 2.5" 2TB HDD as secondary drive to:

a) Backup critical data from the primary drive.

b) Store not-so-critical but large files such as movies, installation ISO images, test (expandable) virtual machines.

Just my two cents.

Starney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,105
Message 67 of 171

@helloguys wrote:

The solution from the retailer simply doesn't work.  As they haven't seen the cable themselves.  If they saw the cable, they'd know it's impossible to "work around".

I wanted to come back to this statement, as I risked to take my retailers advice and order the 836 cable they offered me two weeks ago.

Yesterday I had the chance to prepare everything, take my old SSD and attach it to my P50. Beforehand I took a close look to the cable offered and simply can't see why you say that "it's impossible to 'work around'".

Yes, I had to loosen the cable itself from the thin plastic layer it is glued to. But afterwards you can simply put the cable above the SSD - of course you need to turn around the SSD compared to how it would be positioned with the desired cable (835). But as it's an SSD wird a hard case, I really do not matter.

As a proof please see this picture.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,090
Message 68 of 171

I just don't see the logic here.

UR835 is the primary HDD cable.  UR836 is the secondary HDD cable.

Thus it'd be easier to get a UR835 than UR836.  For example, if you order a ThinkPad P50 with a single HDD, it'd come with UR835.  It will never come with UR836.

If you call Lenovo support, they can order your  UR835 easily.  But UR836 is out of stock (probably due to low demand).

Thus I can understand if someone has to use UR835 in the place of UR836.  But I cannot understand why someone would use UR836 in the place of UR835 (like you).

If you tried to use UR835 in the place of 836, you'll see what I meant.  The form factor of the SATA connector (HDD side) just prevents it go into the bay.  Well, you can push it in.  But it won't align with the side of the bay.

If possible, can you take a picture that you're using 835 in the place of 836 (i.e the HDD is on the left bay)?

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 1,060
Message 69 of 171

Has anyone tried to order the UR835?

Last week I was on the phone with Lenovo for several hours, being transferred from Tech Support to Parts, to Sales, and each person I spoke with said there is no way to order this part yet. When I asked how long it would be before it could be ordered, no one had an answer. It was a mystery to them.

So I returned the unit I had, and re-ordered with a 500GB hard disk. it shoudl be arriving next week.

Once it arrives, I will swap out the 500GB hard disk, and swap in a 1TB SSD. And the hard disk will be up on ebay for sale!

What they should have done is just included the required cables and drive tray in the SSD bays. After paying $3K for a machine you would think they would provide everythign that's needed to upgrade it in the future.

As it turns out, at least with my order, they will have paied much more than the cost ($19) for the cable, which seems rediculous to me.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,049
Message 70 of 171

@longdage

I agree with you.  This is how corporate America works.  People wanted to do things right instead of doing the right things.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors