Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,148
Message 71 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

I sent a specific message to Amy about this thread and related threads on this particular issue. I have not heard a response back and I messaged about 1 week ago. So, no acknowledgement so far from anyone... even tech support, the quoting department, etc. 

Clayboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,032
Message 72 of 171

New customer. Just ordered a P50....by far the most money I've ever invested in a laptop. 

From Everything I've read on the forums I've pretty much figured out that the part I'm after isn't available....which is simply the mounting bracket and cable for the 2.5" HDD.

If it exists (which it does) it should be available to order....simple. I should not have to order an entire HDD which I don't want or need just to get a $10 part..... That is ridiculous ....especially for a $4k laptop!!! 

Lenovo.....seriously? 

Moderator comment: Merged in. Subject edited. Duplication only splinters the discussion.

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 968
Message 73 of 171

Clayboy: I was in the same boat as you. Spent several hours on the phone with Lenovo, talking to tech support, to parts to sales, and then around again to the same groups. All could not help me.

The final word I got from the sales guy was they have no idea when the part will be available to order. could be weeks months! 

So finally I decided to return my order, and get an order a new laptop with the 2.5" hard disk. I placed that order about 2 weeks ago.

Then last week I noticed they had reduced the price of the configuration I had just ordered by over $600! So I went back online and had them cancel the second order, and place a new order.

Finally my 3rd order I see has now shipped and should arrive on Friday. In total, the final order is about $1000 less than I had paid for the original order, and the only difference is i removed the m2 drive and replaced it with the 2.5" drive.

See the initial review here of the first system:

http://www.nani.today/?p=7656

So in all, to get the cable I needed, didn't actually cost me anything, in fact I saved over $600 now at the expense of Lenovo.

Once the new system arrives, I will make an unboxing video, since I did not do that with the first one, and I'll also make a video on how to remove the hard disk and replace it with a SSD.

StaticRick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 953
Message 74 of 171

I bought a P50 with one drive, assuming that I would be able to add a second drive.  This is not an unreasonable assumption.  

The way I see it, Lenovo is falsely advertising the P50 (and P70) as having more storage capability than it actually does.  

If the product can only support two 2.5" drives if it was initially ordered with that configuration, then Lenovo needs to be honest with their customers and state this upfront.  Don't wait for customers to figure out on their own that they've been misled.  That only makes it worse.

I feel that I have been lied to and duped by a company that I once strongly supported.

Make this right, Lenovo!!!

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 841
Message 75 of 171

I'm located in Europe and have a P50 with 512GB M.2 ssd on its way. I gather from this thread i need the 00UR835 cable that can be purchased here: http://www.ok1.de/ThinkPad-Zubehoer/Laufwerke/2-5-SATA-Kabel-ThinkPad-P50-00UR835::1047.html

Delivery time is now listed as >4 weeks. Can anyone tell me what the best course of action is to obtain this cable within a reasonable timeframe, call Lenovo customer service?

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 819
Message 76 of 171

FRQ_:

I spent hours on the phone with customer service, sales, parts, you name it. Each person knew of this part, but had no idea how I could order it or how long it would take. I asked the sales person, are we talking days, weeks or months, and he said more like weeks or months.

So he suggested the fastest option is to return the P50 I had and order a new one with the 512GB 2.5" hard disk, which would come with everything i needed.

So I did that, and order a new system last week, at a savings of over $1000 off the original P50 I had purchased, and the new system shoudl be arriving tomorrow or Friday! So not only am I saving over $1000 because Lenovo dropped the price since I ordered the first P50, but 2 weeks is much shorter than an unknown amount of time.

I'll be posting a unboxing video once the P50 arrives, and will detail on what is needed to swap out the 2.5" hard disk and swap in an SSD.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 795
Message 77 of 171

I've managed to obtain the phone number of the parts department and they gave me an estimate of 3 to 6 weeks. i've also sent an e-mail to the German reseller mentioned here to find out an exact delivery time.

I don't have the option to cancel my P50, since it's an exchange machine I've been offered to resolve ongoing issues with my current Thinkpad.

The several week waiting period is a nuissance, but I will be using the machine as a desktop replacement, so worst case scenario, I will simply install my 1TB SSD in an external USB enclosure for a few weeks.

If anyone reading this in Europe has ordered and actually received the cable via OK1.de, please report back. I'm sure I'm not the only European user waiting for feedback on this issue.

@longdage: if you're swapping out a 2.5" hard disk for an SSD as stated in your post, your machine already has the cable, I can't imagine you'd need anything else.

I know for a fact my machine is shipping with the 512GB M.2 SSD, so no pre-installed cable.

tk-don
Token Ring
Views: 762
Message 78 of 171

FRQ_,

You might need more than the 00UR835 or 00UR836 cable. Unfortunately the extra parts you need to mount the 2.5" drive are currently "unobtainium" with no FRU/CRU part number. That is why a lot have returned their P50 and re-ordered with a 2.5" HDD. This is the only way to receive all parts. Also, only 7.2mm drives will apparently fit.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 79 of 171

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere on this forum with all needed parts? I found the HDD cable threads, very little mention there of any other needed brackets. I suspect the parts exist, but the impression I got from my call to the Lenovo parts department is that they are not familiar with different laptop models and can only proceed with correct part numbers.

Actually knowing what physical parts are needed, would be at least a start...

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 737
Message 80 of 171

This will give you a list of parts. It was sent to me by Lenovo tech support:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/PD103741?LinkTrack=Solr

There is a blow out view of the P50 an a link to a pdf file which gives all the part numbers.

The brackets don't seem to be included here for some reason. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors