Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 1,087
Message 81 of 171

Re: P50 Hard disk drive cable

Hmm. Has it been confirmed brackets are needed at least? Is there a picture of the 2.5" bay with installed HDD floating around somewhere? This all seems weirdly shrouded in mystery despite the fact that the P50 has been shipping for a little while now.

I really didn't expect having to jump through these unnecessary hoops, you'd think Lenovo understands P-series users are very likely to upgrade their machines over the course of its lifespan.

longdage
Punch Card
Views: 1,080
Message 82 of 171

I should be getting my replacement P50, with the 2.5" hard disk on Friday.

This will be one of the things I'll be documenting with a video and some photos.

I should have those posted sometime this week-end, and will update this thread on where to find them.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 1,070
Message 83 of 171

Great, thanks in advance for taking the trouble. That should clear up a lot of confusion, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. 

tk-don
Token Ring
Views: 1,048
Message 84 of 171

An image of the drive caddy. You can also spot the cable. It was posted by a user on this forum, but I can't find the thread right now.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107797272029781254158/album/6247956680292562641/6247956768901507138

But I'd also wait for Longdage to confirm how much of this is needed when he gets his P50. I'm also awaiting mine, but it will likely still be some weeks.

I've come to think Lenovo doesn't actually care much regarding sales, at least in low quantities. Either that, or they are incredibly bad at thinking straight. If people want to install a 2.5" drive at any point in time, they indirectly tell people to buy the system with the most inexpensive drive configuration. Thus, they don't sell as many SSDs as they could - where they obviously earn some money. Secondly, RAID isn't an option on Lenovo sites where Digital River takes care of sales. That's another lost sales opportunity. Smiley Happy

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 989
Message 85 of 171

Some pics of the caddy with no drive installed might have been more clear, but by the looks of it, it's merely a very thin plastic sheath without brackets, screw holes, etc. I'm quite sure you can install a HDD without one, possibly using some thin rubber stripping or double sided tape to take up the slack.

inventortechie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 980
Message 86 of 171

To clarify, it's indeed a bracket(spacer) that holds the HDD in place without screws going into the drive itself. There is also a cable. The "bracket(spacer)" and cable, are 2 different parts, but, currently Lenvo has the FRU with the Backet / Cable / HDD as 1 part in their system. So, to prevent everyone from speculating further. Unless Lenovo releases a part for just the cable and bracket, we can only pay the 400+ price to get the parts we need, or by ordering the system with the HDD. 

Case Closed ( until Lenovo wakes up and decides to offer the parts stand-alone.)

Note: Other lingo often used for the spacer, is "Spacer, Tray, Bracket, Caddy, Padding". At the end of the day, it's still the same part that we can't get, or the cable ;-) 

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 956
Message 87 of 171

@inventortechie: I spoke to someone at Lenovo Parts Department Benelux, they have the 00UR835 and 836 HDD cables listed in their database for 4.91€ (~$5). Delivery time 3 to 6 weeks. I didn't enquire about the HDD tray since no part number is known. Not exactly the plug and play solution I feel should be offered on a P-series machine, but workable nonetheless, the missing spacer probably isn't that big of a deal.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 838
Message 88 of 171

For the people that want to have a look at the elusive HDD bracket, check the "hard disk drive replacement" video in the "hard disk drive" section: https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1129&key=TGVuZw==

It seems to be nothing more than a flexible strip of rubber allowing a tighter fit in the HDD slot, a bit of rubber weather stripping tape should work fine if turns out this part can't be easiily obtained via Lenovo.

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 811
Message 89 of 171

It's interesting that people think it's acceptable for a brand new $3000 machine to require patching it together with tape, paper clips and chewing gum.

If you let Lenovo off the hook, they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Just a friendly observation from afar.

FRQ_
Punch Card
Views: 804
Message 90 of 171

I'm not letting them off the hook, the whole upgrade strategy for the P-series is inexplicable for a workstation class laptop, but I'm also under no illusion that the current situation is going to change in the coming months, so in the mean time, I'll solve what I can on my own.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors