Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chisleu
Not applicable
Views: 1,222
Message 1 of 6

P50 Linux EFI on NVMe SSD fails to boot

I've read dozens of pages and searched and could not find anything to help.

I have a p50 (Xeon ECC nvme SSDs)

1) If I use the Intel RST raid linux fails to see any devices for installation.

- Doesn't really bother me because lvm striping is probably fast enough for me. I just wanted to mention it.

2) If I install Qubes, Fedora, Ubuntu, they fail to boot.

- I've tried with EFI only, or both/EFI first and both/Legacy First.

- rEFInd works fine from the usb and allows me to boot the installed OS as expected.

- rEFInd does not work if I install it to the nvme EFI partition.

- Boot-Repair does not make the system bootable.

I am considering ordering a small 2.5" SSD and the SATA cable and use it for the EFI only if it will work. I'm having trouble decoding the part number. I believe this is the "right" drive that the original disk comes in, but the threads I found have been people searching for the other cable. Smiley Sad

3) If anyone knows the correct part number to order for the SATA drive cable for the bay next to the nvme drives I have installed, I would appreciate that! Smiley Happy

- Is this the kit I need to install the SATA hard drive in the bay next to the NVMe drives?

- http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4XB0L63274/460/7EF7D50A5A7047049A355BF42AAF3C5C#overview

chisleu
Not applicable
Views: 1,187
Message 2 of 6

Re: P50 Linux EFI on NVMe SSD fails to boot

I got Fedora KDE Spin 24-1.2 to install and work as long as I didn't select RAID0 as the volume group type.

I'm going to keep at it since I know it CAN work, even if I don't get RAID of any type.

chisleu
Not applicable
Views: 1,135
Message 3 of 6

Fedora 24 works, but it doesn't seem to support installation to stripe lvm.

I tried the latest Arch (linux 4.7.x) and it does not see any nvme devices either.

The Intel Skull Canyon NUC supports this via  BIOS setting. I've made a support ticket with Lenovo, but I've gotten no response.

gin-n-logic
Not applicable
Views: 1,114
Message 4 of 6

I commented in the linux p50/p70 thread, that got moved to alternative operating systems, about problems booting from a single nvme. I remember reading from the get-go with p50 that booting from raided nvme drives was having problems. 

my solution was to move my /boot/efi to my /dev/sdb (the 2.5" drives, i think ubuntu idenifies it as /dev/sda - but i mean the sata drive).

There are workarounds to what you want to do, but it depends on distro and partitioning scheme and type of disk/directory encryption (if using) and etc etc. I got tired of coming up with workarounds and it not working for no visible reason maybe twice and just moved my /boot/efi to the 2.5 sata slot. It feels weird to put efi partition on last drive, but it's valid and hasn't broken since.

chisleu
Not applicable
Views: 1,094
Message 5 of 6

I have Arch linux booting EFI via systemd-boot without MBR (EFI/legacy hybrid) at all. It is just 100% EFI.

RAID in linux on NVME is non-functional. The Firmware needs to support pass through to tell the OS that there are disks present, which it does not do.

I tried to file a tech support ticket for this, but they just sent me a box in the mail to send the laptop back without giving me any way to contact them.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

gin-n-logic
Not applicable
Views: 1,036
Message 6 of 6

Yeah, its the same problem that randomly can break your boot on nvme. You can install it and fix it, but sometimes if changing or updating kernel (you update your boot afterwards) it will just break it. 

You'll have to update bootloader even though you've added/changed nothing, or just boot it from live to get it runnig and it fixes itself or something equally stupid - those fix-that's-not-a-fix type of things. I got tired of all that and just put /boot/efi on /dev/sdb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors