Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heimdm
What's DOS?
Views: 20,008
Message 1 of 8

P50 + NvME SSD - Fresh win7

I am doing a fresh windows 7 x64 install. I have the NVME 512gb SSD. However, windows will not detect it during install. Has anyone got around this issue?

practical
802.11n
Views: 20,001
Message 2 of 8

Re: P50 + NvME SSD - Fresh win7

I'd suggest first reading DSperber's post carefully:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-HDD-NVMe-Win10-install-from-scratch-...

You will need a correctly formatted installation disk or USB stick.  This is not-optional to support the correct format for the SScertainlyD boot device -- I used DSperber's suggested free utility to create the media and it worked properly for Win10 Installs.

If unclear, you will doubtless need the Samsung or Microsoft NVMe driver to be available, extracted and in the correct format, to load during the early stages of Win7 Installation -- I'm not sure that the native Win7 installation currently includes this necessary driver.  I have not used the Samsung driver package from thier site and extracted the Win7 driver; perhaps others have.  Min Win7 install was via Lenovo's "downgrade" from Win10 and therefore contained the necessary drivers.

Hope this provides some direction., 

Lenovo Staff
Views: 19,980
Message 3 of 8

Win10 and win8.1 have native support for NVMe devices.  Win 7 does not.  If you're loading win7 64-bit, there are basically two options to try to support NVMe drives:

1.  Follow the MS hotfix method - this will help rebuild the win7 ISO to include MS NVMe support.  Here's the link to the "hotfix" - link

2.  Use the standalone Samsung NVMe driver.  We have posted a beta version of the Samsung NVMe driver over on the ThinkStation boards, and many people have had success with it (both with desktop P-series workstations and the mobile P-series workstations).  Here's a link to the ThinkStation thread where the beta driver is posted - link

The benefit of option 1 is that it should cover any NVMe device and is not tied to a specific vendor.  However it's not exactly easy to follow all the steps and rebuild the ISO (the term "hotfix" is a misnomer in my opinion here).  

The Samsung standalone NVMe driver is obviously only going to work with Samsung NVMe devices.  I believe most, if not all, P50/70 systems shipped with NVMe drives will have the Samsung SM951 in it at this point in time.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Nouraj
What's DOS?
Views: 14,760
Message 4 of 8

Hi Guys

I brought a new Lenovo P50 with 512 SSD and Windows 10. I want to do a fresh install of windows 7, if i download the SSD drivers. I can i copy the SSD drivers to CD and boot windows 7 from the external DVD rom and when asks for SSD drivers, load it from the CD disk, is this possible?

Building a new ISO seems very painful and cloning the system does not make sense as i need to install the windows 7 first on the P50 then clone it.

Any easy way to do this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nouraj

SeniorGuru
Views: 14,753
Message 5 of 8

The subject of installing Win7 onto a Skylake-based motherboard has been discussed on many threads on this forum, as well as on many motherboard manufacturer's forums and support sites. Here's one that should provide useful info.

Skylake requires USB 3.0 drivers to support USB mouse/keyboard, and the original Win7 retail installer didn't come with USB 3.0 drivers.  So you MUST solve that problem first.  Many vendor utilities (including from MS and Intel, as well as from Gigabyte, ASUS, etc.) exist to create new Win7 install media (written to bootable USB key drive) by "slipstreaming" the required Intel USB 3.0 driver along with the original Win7 install media (say from DVD or ISO).  Now you have a usable Win7 install media on USB that will at least allow you to use USB mouse/keyboard to proceed.

Furthermore, while Win7 provides standard support for SATA devices (including SATA2/3 HDD spinners and SSD devices), it does not include a driver for NVMe.  This comes from manufacturers of NVMe devices like Samsung.  So again, if you want to target a new Win7 system onto an NVMe drive, you MUST also "slipstream" the missing Samsung NVMe Controller driver into your new modified Win7 install media (same as you did for USB 3.0 driver).

This is exactly what the Gigabyte utility will do for you, namely build a perfectly usable modified Win7 install media to USB that (a) supports USB mouse/keyboard on Skylake because it merges in the Intel USB 3.0 driver, (b) supports NVMe target devices because it merges in the Samsung NVMe Controller driver, and (c) supports UEFI BIOS and GPT partitioning of the target drive.

The easiest way to have "successful" outcome is to make use of a new Win7 installation boot media builder utility provided by Gigabyte (developed for its own customer base, who wanted to install Win7 on Gigabyte's new Skylake 100-series chipset motherboard systems).  The Gigabyte utility is discussed on this Gigabyte tech support site article on the whole problem of installing Win7 on this new hardware, and the solution using their newly devloped utility. The Gigabyte utility is downloaded from the "Gigabyte download support site" specifying download type = UTILITY, referred to on that page as the "Windows USB Installation Tool to Support Intel 100 series motherboards". 

PRIME-OS
Punch Card
Views: 14,731
Message 6 of 8

And one warning here from my side: Do NOT put the Nvme's in RAID mode. I was not able - even with the latest driver's and a properly modified Windows 7 USB stick to get the thing (Xeon + 2x Nvme) going. It seems that the Intel RST driver (as of January 2017) or the UEFI does not like Nvmes.

kekool95
What's DOS?
Views: 8,109
Message 7 of 8

Hello everyone,

I heva the same probleme exept that i am using an 2.5 SSD with the adapter.

i try to create an image with the Hotfix without any success. Try to charge some drivers i found on hte internet without sucess too.

Please can you help me ?

best regards.

SeniorGuru
Views: 8,100
Message 8 of 8

@kekool95 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I heva the same probleme exept that i am using an 2.5 SSD with the adapter.

i try to create an image with the Hotfix without any success. Try to charge some drivers i found on hte internet without sucess too.

Please can you help me ?

As I stated earlier this year in my post on this thread (message #5 above, just a little bit back from this current message #8), really the easiest and most reliable way to build new Win7 install media for a Skylake machine is to use the Gigabyte utility mentioned in my post.  This utility developed by Gigabyte for its own users of Skylake-based motherboards creates new bootable USB (or CD/DVD install media which adds the critical needed USB 3.0 drivers to the standard Win7 install media (provided either on CD/DVD or ISO file).  It also optionally can also add the requrired critical NVMe drivers, if you want to target your new Win7 system onto an NVMe drive.

The oiginal Win7 installer is missing both USB 3.0 and NVMe drivers, and building this new Win7 install media combining both the original Win7 installation media with the missing drivers... this is how you create new install media for successful Win7 installation on a Skylake-based machine, no matter to a 3.5"/2.5" HDD spinner, or to PCIe NVMe/SATA M.2 SSD, or to 2.5" SATA SSD.  If you want to install Win7 to a Skylake machine, laptop or desktop, you MUST have at least the missing USB 3.0 drivers for USB mouse/keyboard (unless you have a PS/2 connector that can be used for PS/2 mouse or PS/2 keyboard).  And you also need the NVMe driver if you want to install to PCIe NVMe M.2 drive.

The most recently successful use of the Gigabyte utility to build new Win7 install media which has been documented on these forums is here, in this thread about wanting to install Win7 on an M910 desktop (with Skylake CPU and chipset).  As with your own story, previous attempts to use other supposedly valid alternative methods failed to produce Win7 install media that proved successful, but finally using the Gigabyte utility proved successful.  In fact it was green-checked as "the solution" on that thread's problem.  It  built a usable bootable USB install media that successfully installed Win7 on the M910 where other recommended techniques had, for some reason, failed.

The Gigabyte utility is available from the Gigabyte download site, scrolling down on the page about midway (you may need to expand categories to see everything).  It is described as: "Windows USB Installation Tool, (Note) Support Intel 100/200/X299 series motherboards. OS: Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit".

The direct link to the utility on that page is here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors