Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DK4
Punch Card
Views: 3,323
Message 1 of 10

P50/P70 BIOS beep codes

Does anyone have the BIOS beep codes for the P50/P70 Thinkpads? Mine beeps at me almost every time I boot up.

3 short beeps, short pause, 1 beep, short pause, 1 beep, short pause, 3 short beeps.

I called tech support and they wanted me to uninstall the RAM I added after I got the system, or they want me to send the computer in to replace the RAM and system board. I don't think those are the problem, though. After it gets done beeping, it loads fine every time. Lenovo Solution Center finds zero errors with my system. No issues with processor, chipset, or memory. Windows recognizes all 32GB of my RAM when it loads as well.

Any ideas? I'm disinclined to send my system back since otherwise it seems to generally be working OK.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,299
Message 2 of 10

Re: P50/P70 BIOS beep codes

Good day.

Beep codes...

P50 hardware manual, pg37: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p50_hmm_en_sp40j71944.pdf

P70 hardware manual, pg45: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p70_hmm_en_sp40j65113.pdf

3-1-1-3 is listed in both.

Hope this helps to clarify a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

DK4
Punch Card
Views: 3,277
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. That is very helpful, and more information than it seemed the tech support person had access to when I called. It at least gets me going in the right direction.

The next logical question is: What does "PCI resource problem" mean?

As regards the PCI bus, my system is stock from the factory at this point. Stock hard drive, no added cards or adapters. The only non-stock item in it right now is more DDR4 RAM, but I don't think that has anything to do with the PCI bus.

When I got the computer, I installed a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive, which died within 2 days. That appears to be a Samsung problem, not Lenovo at this point. I was getting 2100 drive detection errors when it died, but no issues since I removed it. I then put the original SATA drive back in the computer and have been running off that for a while now.

fleaplus
Punch Card
Views: 3,267
Message 4 of 10

My P70 will have that beep code on a cold boot if I have the Thunderbolt resources set to 2G with hybrid graphics disabled in the bios.

Thinkpad P70: 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 480GB SSD, DVD-RW, Quadro M3000M, FHD Matte IPS (AUO), Windows 10 Pro + UbuntuGNOME 16.04
DK4
Punch Card
Views: 3,250
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for that tip. I think the Thunderbolt set to 2GB in BIOS is the source. I have always had Hybrid Graphics enabled, so I don't think that was part of it. I had switched Thunderbolt to 2GB a week ago or so because I figured it would enhance performance with little drawback. I switched Thunderbolt back to 1GB in BIOS and it seems to be happy now.

A bit of a bummer since that reduces the number of devices and things I can plug into the Thunderbolt port.

Former Employee
Views: 3,216
Message 6 of 10

A 3-1-1-3 beep code heard at startup after Thunderbolt Reserved Memory is changed from 1GB to 2GB in BIOS Setup indicates a PCI memory resource shortage. After the beep notification, the BIOS adjusts the PCI memory resource allocated to Thunderbolt, then restarts the system automatically.

Please note that Lenovo recommends running a 64-bit Windows OS instead of 32-bit version when using the 2GB Thunderbolt Reserved Memory setting.

When attaching multiple displays and/or other peripheral devices to the Thunderbolt daisy chain, Lenovo recommends using the 2GB memory resource at BIOS Setup, and treating the 3-1-1-3 beep pattern at BIOS POST reboot after BIOS setup change as successful confirmation of the change.

When attaching a monitor and/or a couple of other peripheral devices, Lenovo recommends using the 1GB memory resource at BIOS Setup.

Thank you,

jswor415
Punch Card
Views: 3,143
Message 7 of 10

Every

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

A 3-1-1-3 beep code heard at startup after Thunderbolt Reserved Memory is changed from 1GB to 2GB in BIOS Setup indicates a PCI memory resource shortage. After the beep notification, the BIOS adjusts the PCI memory resource allocated to Thunderbolt, then restarts the system automatically.

When attaching multiple displays and/or other peripheral devices to the Thunderbolt daisy chain, Lenovo recommends using the 2GB memory resource at BIOS Setup, and treating the 3-1-1-3 beep pattern at BIOS POST reboot after BIOS setup change as successful confirmation of the change.

Everytime it boots??? Because that is what happens.

John

P70 - Windows 10 Pro, XEON E3-1505M, UHD 4k Display, 64GB ECC RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO M5000M 8GB GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
DK4
Punch Card
Views: 3,138
Message 8 of 10

Mine also beeps every time it boots. Is there a way to manually turn the beeping off, or maybe reduce the volume?

jswor415
Punch Card
Views: 3,090
Message 9 of 10

@DK4 wrote:

Mine also beeps every time it boots. Is there a way to manually turn the beeping off, or maybe reduce the volume?

That won't actually fix anything though.  It is beeping because it is alerting you to a problem.  It still will do whatever it does in the background, and reboot again either way.

If you do disable the alarms, then if something else goes wrong, you won't be alerted to the new problem.

I feel like the official Lenovo fix isn't actually a fix.  The computer clearly doesn't like the 2gb setting for the Thunderbolt setting.  When it does beep and reboot, what is it changing the memory allocation to?  Back down to 1gb?  Just curious.  I only mention this because I currently have 2 external 4k monitors hooked up to individual USB-C ports on my P70.  I can't take any video full screen on the external monitors without the video tearing or stuttering.  As soon as I move it over to the laptop monitor, it plays just fine.  This feels like the Thunderbolt bus can't send enough data fast enough to drive the 2 monitors, which I find really hard to believe and very discouraging if that is indeed the case.  I am patientily waiting for a Thunderbolt dock that I like to hit the market, then my long term plan is to directly connect my USB peripherals and Ethernet connector to the dock with at least one display, allowing me to have minimal things to unplug when I take the computer with me.  If the port has trouble with one external monitor, I can't see how I will ever be able to actually use the ports the way that they are designed.

John

P70 - Windows 10 Pro, XEON E3-1505M, UHD 4k Display, 64GB ECC RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO M5000M 8GB GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
rayultine
Paper Tape
Views: 2,946
Message 10 of 10

Whenever I have my PCI express card in and power on, I get the 3-1-1-3 beep code, but the laptop will shut down abruptly twice. It makes a pretty harsh noise that doesn't sound good! 

For me, I get the PCI beep no matter if I have the 1GB or 2GB thunderbolt setting. In my case, I have no actual thunderbolt peripherals attached to the computer. 

Top Kudoed Authors