cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyM63
Punch Card
Views: 971
Message 41 of 54

Re: P50/ P70: Power up, POST and Fingerprint Authentication - Help!

Hi Amy

Thank you.

And we in turn all appreciate your efforts and those of your team to find resolutions for these issues.

Regards

Andrew

namyacs
Token Ring
Views: 955
Message 42 of 54

Indeed, very much apprecieted Amy, Thank you.  Smiley Happy 

SeniorGuru
Views: 865
Message 43 of 54

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

Think Engineering has provided a temporary workaround to resolve the double POST experienced during boot up on P50 and P70 ThinkPads.

The workaround requires the I/O Port Access to be disabled in BIOS.

1. Reboot the system and press F1 to enter BIOS Setup
  2. Change to “Security” page
  3. Change to “I/O Port Access” section
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless WAN”, press Enter, and then set to “Disabled” as shown 

The root cause is being confirmed and Think Engineering is working on a permanent fix that will be provided via BIOS update.

I have just updated to the just released 2.0/1.15 BIOS/EC for P70.

I was curious to see if the genuine fix for the P70 double-boot symptom might have been included.  Note that this symptom has only been seen by me on my P70 when powering up for the first time from a cold power-OFF state.  For all other reboots when the machine was already powered ON, only normal single-boots were present.

I had been advised of this Security -> I/O port access -> Wireless WAN = DISABLED workaround last week, and it DID solve my own P70 double-boot symptom.

And not only did it prevent double-boots, but boot time in general with this WWAN option DISABLED was DRAMATICALLY REDUCED from what it had previously been.  Both cold boot and soft re-boot times were significantly improved, with Lenovo logo screen to Windows Boot Manager now remarkably down around 3 seconds.  [Note that I don't have any HDD spinners in my P70, but instead have two Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drives and one Samsung 850 Pro SATA3 SSD.]

Anyway, I want to report that experience on this double-boot symptom after upgrading to BIOS 2.0 was that the UNDERLYING CAUSE OBVIOUSLY STILL HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED.  In other words, trying to go back to the default WWAN = ENABLED using BIOS 2.0 once again brings back the unwanted double-boot symptom and slower overall time from Lenovo logo to Windows Boot Manager.  Reverting back to WWAN = DISABLED once again makes the double-boot symptom disappear while also greatly reducing time from Lenovo log to Windows Boot Manager.

Note that I have been running with the BIOS option of "boot mode = QUICK" (which produces the Lenovo logo screen at boot) ever since discovering that "boot mode = DIAGNOSTICS" interfered with the two boots involved in the BIOS update process (one for the BIOS update, then a reboot, and then a second for the EC update).  This has now been confirmed by Think engineering to be a more global BIOS symptom affecting other Skylake boards, and results in a permanent machine HANG during that inter-step reboot between BIOS and EC (only finally overcome by first pulling out the power cord and now re-booting).

Once I reverted back to "boot mode = QUICK", the 2-step BIOS update process now completes flawlessly, although the desired diagnostics screen info is no longer seen of course.  Not a serious issue, and the Lenovo logo screen is just fine.

Coupled with the WWAN = DISABLED setting which, for me, absolutely eliminates the double-boot from cold power-OFF state symptom, along with the significantly reduced time from Lenovo logo to Windows Boot Manager, this is just how I will be running from now on.  Machine runs great.

Guru
Views: 833
Message 44 of 54

My P70 Has NEVER had the double boot issue. The system originally came with BIOS 1.15, was upgraded to 1.19 and 1.21 successively w/o that issue occurring. I have now upgraded to 2.0 and there was still no issue. I did finally change the configuration to disable the WWAN i/o port which made the boot sequence a bit faster. I would think that all that engineering would do at this point is to default the WWAN i/o port to OFF via a BIOS update. Then, if you upgraded to the EM7445 WWAN card, you would have to turn the port back on. All this seems reasonable to me.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.15 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 32GB, RTX5000, 32GB, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Former Employee
Views: 756
Message 45 of 54

In response to customer reports of a double POST experience while booting P50 and P70 ThinkPads, Lenovo has released a BIOS fix for the P50 ThinkPad. The BIOS fix for the P70 is still pending.

Version 1.24

- Fixed an issue where POST logo might show twice.

The P50 BIOS, v.1.24, can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P50...

I will provide an update when the new BIOS for the P70 ThinkPad has been released.

Thank you,

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 730
Message 46 of 54

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

In response to customer reports of a double POST experience while booting P50 and P70 ThinkPads, Lenovo has released a BIOS fix for the P50 ThinkPad. The BIOS fix for the P70 is still pending.

Version 1.24

- Fixed an issue where POST logo might show twice.

The P50 BIOS, v.1.24, can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P50...

I will provide an update when the new BIOS for the P70 ThinkPad has been released.

Thank you,

Just upgraded and can confirm it works! Thank you Amy and your team!

However, seems I got a new issue on the DP-port. See this issue: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-MiniDisplay-port-is-not-working-cons...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
PCTrouble
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 611
Message 47 of 54

Re: Power up, POST and Fingerprint Authentication - Help!

I have the issue where if the laptop goes to sleep , the finger print reader does not work.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 559
Message 48 of 54

In response to customer reports of unexpected fingerprint reader behavior on ThinkPad P50, P70, X1 Yoga, X1 Carbon (Type 20 FB and 20FC), Yoga 260, Y260, S1 Yoga, T460s, and T460p systems, Lenovo has released an update to the fingerprint driver.

Version 5.1.311.26

[New]: SHA1 & SHA256 signatures signed.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that When the user has scanned a fingerprint for the pre-boot Single Sign On, the first attempt to login using Intel Authenticate will return "Failed to identify" for the Fingerprint factor.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that IPT - SetFactorTrust (TC_SETKEY) takes up to 2 seconds.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Finger printer LED does not light that FP can't use after wake up from sleep mode.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Sometimes SSO fails after resuming from timed hibernate.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Power consumption is high.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Win7 Fingerprint device show yellow bang after system recovery.

Synaptics Metallica Touch Fingerprint Driver v5.1.311.26 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P70...

Thank you,

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 544
Message 49 of 54

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

In response to customer reports of unexpected fingerprint reader behavior on ThinkPad P50, P70, X1 Yoga, X1 Carbon (Type 20 FB and 20FC), Yoga 260, Y260, S1 Yoga, T460s, and T460p systems, Lenovo has released an update to the fingerprint driver.

Version 5.1.311.26

[New]: SHA1 & SHA256 signatures signed.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that When the user has scanned a fingerprint for the pre-boot Single Sign On, the first attempt to login using Intel Authenticate will return "Failed to identify" for the Fingerprint factor.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that IPT - SetFactorTrust (TC_SETKEY) takes up to 2 seconds.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Finger printer LED does not light that FP can't use after wake up from sleep mode.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Sometimes SSO fails after resuming from timed hibernate.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Power consumption is high.

[Fix]: Fix for the issue that Win7 Fingerprint device show yellow bang after system recovery.

Synaptics Metallica Touch Fingerprint Driver v5.1.311.26 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P70...

Thank you,

All sounds great! Thanks for this improvement. 

@Amy_LenovoCould you ask the development team to provide a FP driver for Linux systems? No one using Linux OS reported the fingerprint working properly. All current drivers do not compatible with the current P-series and other Lenovo FP devices to my knowledge. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
AndyM63
Punch Card
Views: 517
Message 50 of 54

Hi Amy

I tried to install this on my P70.  The installer appears to complete successfully but the driver does not get updated.

Regards

Andy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors