Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdamda
Punch Card
Views: 1,428
Message 1 of 15

P50 Right Side USB Ports Issue

Hello all,

I have a Thinkpad P50 purchased in back in October 2016.

I have an issue with both USB ports on the right side, where USB storage will no longer detect after the computer has been on for quite some time (3-4 hours). Other items like USB mice will always work though, and there seems to be power being supplied to the drives. (Lights will come on, USB HDD will spin up).

The backside USB ports will always work but I need all of them running.

A restart will always fix this, but it's getting troublesome to work with, not to mention I've already had my motherboard replace once due to faulty right side USB ports, and had to wait 3 months for a motherboard.

I'd like to take it in for repair, except it will be a PITA to migrate my work files to another computer since I don't have another computer that will take an M.2 at present, nor do I have the time to have my laptop wait at the service center for another 3 months (yes, Lenovo outside the USA is like that).

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this at this point? I have already tried:
1. Turning on 'always on USB' in the BIOS
2. Doing the same in the Lenovo power settings
3. Disabling USB selective suspend setting in the Windows Power Options.
4. Disallowing the computer to turn off the USB devices in the device manager.

5. Using multiple USB storage devices to test.

There doesn't seem to be any newer USB device drivers I can update to at this point.

I am running Windows 10 64 Bit.

It sounds like a software/driver issue by the way this problem manifests but I can't be sure nor do I have the time to spend one whole day at the service center just to demonstrate to them the issue.

Wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar or would have any idea as to what could fix this kind of problem.

Thanks

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 1,383
Message 2 of 15

Re: P50 Right Side USB Ports Issue

I'd give Drivercloud a shot and see if can find any newer usb drivers, (if it finds loads of stuff out of date don't install it all post a pic of what it found first as some might be false positives, doesn't hurt to get a second opinion).

https://www.driverscloud.com/en/features

Malcolm

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,372
Message 3 of 15

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and power management driver

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mdamda
Punch Card
Views: 1,364
Message 4 of 15

Thanks. Will give the updated drivers a look, although I have already updated to the latest Intel Chipset drivers.

No USB drivers to be found for Windows 10.

Not sure why only the right side USB ports are affected though.

Also, I'm already running the latest BIOS (1.38) and the most updated power management driver.

Seems that the USB port furthest from the user on the right (near the back) is most susceptible to this issue. Also would like to reiterate that this seems to be a problem only for storage devices. USB mice are detected fine 100% of the time.

Odd how a restart fixes this though, I have no idea for how long.

The only 'mod' to the machine was to swap out the 500GB boot drive for a Samsung 960 Evo. I doubt this will cause 2 USB ports to go bad...

mdamda
Punch Card
Views: 1,311
Message 5 of 15

Hello,

Seems that both the right side ports are affected. Sometimes one will act up, after a while, another...
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,300
Message 6 of 15

What BIOS level is on your P50 laptop? 

My recommendation is to update to the latest BIOS on the Lenovo support site (v1.39) found here (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1euj23w.exe). 

Also, you might want to consider updating the USB drivers in your system (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1eya04w.exe). 

ricccar
Punch Card
Views: 1,291
Message 7 of 15

The USB Drivers you linked to are for Windows 7 fyi
I believe he was talking about Windows 10
Windows 10 already has the USB Drivers installed.
mdamda
Punch Card
Views: 1,277
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for this.

I have been using 1.38 already with reproducible results:

4-5 hours working on computer.

One USB will intermittently not work. Reboot fixes issue.

Windows 10 does not seem to need newer USB drivers.

Will try 1.39.

I will not know if this is a common issue across all P50, nor can I say this only happened recently. My P50 shipped with bad USB ports and is on its second board now.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,250
Message 9 of 15

Definitely try and upgrade BIOS to the latest (v1.39) to see if the problem goes away.  If not, you may need to contact Lenovo service and support and tell them you're still experiencing USB issues even with a new motherboard. 

mdamda
Punch Card
Views: 1,204
Message 10 of 15

Thanks!

Issue still persists after 1.39.

Laptop is now with the service station.

I just hope fixing it won't take longer than my time of ownership with the laptop.

The laptop was delivered end of October, only got to start using it in December. Was sitting in the service station from January up until the middle of March... Smiley Indifferent

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors