Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oa421AmlCQ
Punch Card
Views: 4,802
Message 11 of 32

Re: P50: Thunderbolt 3 dock not recognized

@smilesooner wrote:

I think my problem is related - trying to use Thunderbolt to a projector and the second display was not detected. Nada.

Is this the lack of Thunderbolt support on the P50 so far?

If so, this needs an immediate fix.

What kind of connector did you use?

smilesooner
Paper Tape
Views: 4,795
Message 12 of 32

It was Apple. Of course I was mocked for my PC, but it was frustrating.

hargock
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,768
Message 13 of 32

I'm a bit confused by your statement. Are you sure you're talking about the Thunderbolt 3 port at the back of the device and not about the Mini DisplayPort on the right? Because the one on the right is no Thunderbolt port, it just has the same connector as Thunderbolt 1/2.

Apple does not offer any Thunderbolt 3 devices at the moment. They only offer USB-C devices, which use the same connector as Thunderbolt 3. However, USB-C devices are supported by Thunderbolt 3. So if you are connecting an adapter from USB-C to some display connector that should work. I assume that's what you're doing?

It would be a shame if even that wouldn't work. This would render the Thunderbolt/USB-C port entirely useless at the time being. But I think that someone posted on this forum that they got USB-C -> display working, however nobody has gotten Thunderbolt 3 to work yet.

Adam71
Paper Tape
Views: 4,715
Message 14 of 32

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I want to run 4 monitors on my P50 like is advertised. However, I will need to purchase a thunderbolt dock or the horribly rated lenovo dock to give me the correct number of ports. I had even put the dell docking station into my Amazon cart, but then I saw this. 

hargock
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,713
Message 15 of 32

To my knowledge, nobody has gotten any Thunderbolt 3 device to work on the P50 or P70 yet.
Startech will soon release Thunerbolt 3 to Dual HDMI and Dual DisplayPort adapters, this may clarify whether it's a problem with the Dell Dock or the Thunderbolt drivers of the P50/P70.
I strongly assume the latter as Thunderbolt devices have a certification process.

Just a note if you consider buying the "regular" Lenovo Dock: People reported on this forum that even the workstation Dock only outputs 1 DisplayPort lane, although it has two DisplayPort ports. But that should only be an issue if you're interested in connecting more than one 4K display to the Lenovo Dock

cuiliang
Punch Card
Views: 4,705
Message 16 of 32

There are some thunderbolt related pages for reference:

http://plugable.com/drivers/tbt3firmware

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates

From those page, no information about lenovo device released.

The dell's thunderbolt NVM version is 15,  lenovo's is 13.

There should be some BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware updates.

But we can hear nothing from lenovo.

tpmeredith1
Punch Card
Views: 4,656
Message 17 of 32

@hargock wrote:

To my knowledge, nobody has gotten any Thunderbolt 3 device to work on the P50 or P70 yet.
Startech will soon release Thunerbolt 3 to Dual HDMI and Dual DisplayPort adapters, this may clarify whether it's a problem with the Dell Dock or the Thunderbolt drivers of the P50/P70.
I strongly assume the latter as Thunderbolt devices have a certification process.

Just a note if you consider buying the "regular" Lenovo Dock: People reported on this forum that even the workstation Dock only outputs 1 DisplayPort lane, although it has two DisplayPort ports. But that should only be an issue if you're interested in connecting more than one 4K display to the Lenovo Dock

I have a thunderbolt 3 to DP adapter (single DP not the dual that hasn't been released yet) and it works fine. Although it causes some weird boot issues when I try to reboot with it plugged in.

I also have the workstation dock and that was a major frustration for me, considering it is advertised with "Dual DP 1.2" ports and didn't say anywhere it would be limited to 1 DP bandwidth. Hence, the reason I have the thunderbolt to DP adapter.

Grayman
Paper Tape
Views: 4,235
Message 18 of 32

Hello All,

I finally got my hands on the StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI Adapter (Part TB32HD2) and sadly, the adapter was not recognized.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro on my month old P50.  Tech support at Lenovo is a waste of time and the very capable support desk at StarTech claims it's an issue with the PC (they are right).  After two days of trying, I'm sending the adapter back.  Continuing to use 3 USB/HDMI adapters to power external monitors.  I wish that Lenovo would address this!

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 4,210
Message 19 of 32

I received the same adapter last week and it didn't work at first. It is running now. I also have Win 7 pro.

I had to update Thunderbolt 3 drivers, the Intel chipset upgrade, and the Bios upgrade before it worked.

It's a little tempermental because one of my 4k monitors (LG) is slow to change from mini- to dp- but other than that, this is working great.

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 4,204
Message 20 of 32

Here's some more details on my experience with the Startech T32DP2 Dock.

Firstly, I downloaded the Alpine Ridge TB Firmware v.16 5/15/2016 from the Lenovo Support site (Win7-64bit selected).

During the install, it wanted to update the device firmware and I wasn't sure if it wanted to do something to the Startech or internal hardware. I let it proceed but did not plug in the Startech at first. When it was finished and rebooted, I plugged in the Startech and nothing happened.

Next, I downloaded and installed the Intel Management Engine 11.0 Firmware for Windows 5/19/2016 in case the chipset needed updating. And since now I was changing something that would effect the entire system possibly, I also updated the Bios from 1.21 to 1.26. I had avoided this change based on how careless a few of the previous Bios upgrades had been released, but now was the time.

Now, the Startech was visible and there were a couple of check boxes to deal with and it was "on the air!" Attached are 1) LG 31MU97 (4096 X 2160) and 2) Samsung U28D590 (3840 X 2160). I also have my P50 screen going and there is no lag in all the screen real estate (@60hz). That's about everything I know!

Oh yeah, one more thing: along the way I took DSperber's advice and downloaded the latest Quadro M2000M driver set directly from NVidia and went to discrete only. Thinking? It's hard to get on the cutting edge with "approved" drivers, especially when nothing in the TB3 arena has actually been working up to now as such. I guess I'd rather be updated than safe!?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors