Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grayman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,914
Message 21 of 32

Re: P50: Thunderbolt 3 dock not recognized

@duxlubber, thanks for the reply.

I performed all of those updates and still nothing.

I flashed the BIOS to version 1.26 (N1EET52W), performed the chipset upgrade and the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt firmware upgrade.  Pulled all from the Lenovo driver page.  Installed all but the BIOS 2x with the device installed.

And over and over, the following message pops up in the system tray upon adapter connection/reboot:

"Unsupported device or cable.  The device or cable is not supported by this port"

Ready to throw the P50 and the adapter out the window

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 2,902
Message 22 of 32

Did you do the Intel firmware manager upgrade v11? I got that same error along the way. I think I detached the Startech and rebooted and let things settle down for a couple and then plugged in the Startech w/o monitors and it eventually appeared as the only TB3 device. There was another step. After you upgrade the Alpine TB3 driver, you have to go to a c: drive directory and manually run Thunderbolt<something or other>, pushes forward some updates. I'm sorry, i'm away from my system right now but if I can remember the steps... you probably already did it but the readme file for the Alpine has how you test for Win 7 version.

adamtoday
SCSI Port
Views: 2,855
Message 23 of 32

I think TH3 issue will be solved when lenovo release its own dock. I know it comes with a red dot and lots of BOOTABLE USB-C ports! We just have to wait until P50 get outdated =)

hargock
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,820
Message 24 of 32

No, Thunderbolt 3 works on the P50 since the last Alpine Ridge firmware update: I have a HP Thunderbolt 3 dock and it works. Smiley Happy

However, I can't get 2x 4k@60Hz to work, but the dock works in general and a single 4k@60Hz display is running smoothly. 

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 2,809
Message 25 of 32

In case Grayman is still trying to get the Startech TB32DP2 dock going, here is some additional info. After you update and execute the Thunderbolt 3 driver software you will have a small TB3 icon (white lightening bolt surrounded by bright blue diameter)  in the system tray. Right click on it and check that the App version is 15.2.34.5.

Next, check the box for Override first device in chain and leave unchecked "Only allow TB Devices, etc." Then click on Details tab (lower left of box) and check security level: User Authorization (SL1)

Driver Version: 15.2.34.12 and NVM version: 16.

If these versions are correct, when you plug in the Startech TB32DP2 tb3 connector, you will then be able to Approve and View the Startech unit.

Again, it drives 2 4K monitors at 60hz flawlessly (I streamed video on one and narry a flcker with full screen HD content).

Grayman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,774
Message 26 of 32

Thanks everyone for you feedback and assistance, I really appreciate the help - glad that this community exists!

I temporarily abandoned the installation attempt and sent the adaptor back to StarTech - will order another one when I have some down time and try again.

Again, appreciate the assistance - will circle up with the group when I try again (hopefully with news of a successful install).  This P50 has certainly been an interesting laptop to configure thus far.

Grayman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,747
Message 27 of 32

Question for @duxlubber - are you able to run the Thunderbolt port and the HDMI simultaneously for video output?  Buying another adapter and trying again this week.  I owe you for your assistance!  Thanks.

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 2,718
Message 28 of 32

When I have my P50 screen going as main display (1920 X 1080) and 2 4k displays on the Thunderbolt port as extended displays in Win 7, and plug in an HDMI connector to a 1920 X 1080 HDMI monitor nothing happens. I'm at discrete only with the NVIDIA latest drivers. Haven't tried the mini DP - to - HDMI.

admrusty
Paper Tape
Views: 2,558
Message 29 of 32

Does the HP dock charge your p50 over Thunderbolt?

admrusty
Paper Tape
Views: 2,558
Message 30 of 32

@hargock wrote:

No, Thunderbolt 3 works on the P50 since the last Alpine Ridge firmware update: I have a HP Thunderbolt 3 dock and it works. Smiley Happy

However, I can't get 2x 4k@60Hz to work, but the dock works in general and a single 4k@60Hz display is running smoothly. 

Does the HP dock charge your p50 over Thunderbolt?  Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors