Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,856
Message 1 of 69

P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

Dear all,

I've just received my P50 (20EQS00600, M1000M, i7-6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) about a week ago, and I quite like it. However, there is one thing that is driving me nuts: after I upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 bit to Win 10 Pro, the fingerprint functionality stopped working. This issue seems to be related to the ones reported in these two threads for the P70 but at the same time appears sufficiently different to warrant a new post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-fingerprint-software-issue/m-p/22517...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Fingerprint-and-Sound-problems-P70/td-p/...

So, here's what I did:

1) I clean-installed Win 10 w/o retaining any data/settings from the previous Win 7 installation; I even reformatted the SSD.

2) Upon initial installation I was asked by Windows Hello to enroll fingerprints which I did.

3) Fingerprint worked on the first login but then magically vanished. Windows Hello is no longer showing up as a login option in the Win control panel.

4) I discovered in Device Manager that the Synaptics WBDI reports the following problem: 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'.

5) Repeated uninstall and reinstall of the drivers are to no avail. I tried both having Win look up a driver and manual installation of the drivers I downloaded from the Lenovo page.

6) When I uninstalled the drivers and then wiped the stored fingerprints in BIOS, I was again able to enroll fingerprints with Windows Hello. However, this time the fingerprints were not even registered in Windows, and I had to cancel the procedure. Immediately after, the Synaptics driver stopped working, cf. 4).

I am at a loss what to do. Strange thing is that I ran Win 7 for about a week, and the fingerprint reader worked fine all the time. (Due to scaling issues on my 4k display I bit the bullet and went to Win 10, in case you are wondering.)

So, anybody out there experiencing the same problem, anybody having a solution?

Thank you in advance and best,

A

pkincy
Punch Card
Views: 14,794
Message 2 of 69

Re: P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

Same problem on my W550s under essentially the same circumstances.  Unfortunately Lenovo is taking the tack that FP problems on new machines are the fault of the software not the hardware so they will not warranty the bad FP sensor.

I had 3 FP sensors in my W520 over the 3 years of its warranty as they are far from foolproof devices.  But now that Win 10 has taken over the software side of the usage, Lenovo has apparently decided they will save some service calls by not warranting the FP sensor and blaming the problem on software which they don't warranty.

Good luck.  If you do find a solution, I will be listening closely.

Perry
W550s I5 QHCD, W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,705
Message 3 of 69

Hi again,

it's been more than two weeks that I originally posted about the fingerprint issue; my vain hope that the problem would sort itself out over time has not come to pass. So, I wondered whether anybody else is experiencing the same problem, or even better, has found a solution.

What I am even more wondering about is whether anybody at Lenovo will ever deign to help solve or at least acknowledge the problem. I understand this is a company-sponsored forum, and I have seen plenty posts by Lenovo folks on here. Needless to say, I shelled out major bucks for my P50 and I expect a bare level of support. @Lenovo: In case you are of the opinion I should just suck it up and stop whining, why don't you say so outright?

sorry for the rant but this stinks!

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,689
Message 4 of 69

@Angulion

Did you try the steps outlined in the marked solution for the first thread you linked to in your original post?  It sounds like clearing the fingerprint data in BIOS before upgrading to win10 will allow everything to work correctly.  If you have fingerprint data enrolled in win7 prior to upgrading to win10, you'll likely run into issues based on what someotherguy is stating in that thread.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,680
Message 5 of 69

Angulion

Can you double check that you are on BIOS 1.15, and the fingerprint driver is 5.0.88.4 (or later)?

To check BIOS:  run "msinfo32" and look for "BIOS Version/Date" in the right-hand panel (about halfway down).

To check fingerprint driver:  run "devmgmt.msc", expand "Biometric devices", double-click on "Synaptics WBDI", click on the "Driver" tab, and note the Driver Version.

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,672
Message 6 of 69

Hi,

thank you for the fast reply this time around. I verified that I am on BIOS 1.15 and the Synaptics driver version you name. (Before posting anything here, in the first place I ensured to be fully updated.) As for clearing the fingerprints in BIOS, that's what I already did twice to no avail, although only after upgrading to Windows 10. So, if I get you right, I should magically have known to wipe the prints from BIOS before doing the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Is there any other way to clear the prints?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 14,663
Message 7 of 69

Angulion

I don't know what the problem could be, if you are using those versions of BIOS/driver and you have cleared fingerprints in BIOS Setup since you have been on those versions.  Let me make sure I understand the current state of the system:

• Is Device Manager showing an error?  If so, what error?
  • Are you able to create a PIN in Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options, and use it to log into Windows?
  • Are you able to enroll fingerprints in Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,658
Message 8 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

just to make sure, I went through wiping the prints in BIOS once again, and lo and behold, indeed the finger print reader works again. Strange thing is that this is exactly the same that I did before only to get an error no. 10, cf. my initial post. Back then, the reader worked for some five minutes after boot before going into broken mode. So, I am little hesistant to cry eureka just now. Rather, I will observe things for a couple of days to see whether they stay intact. In any case, I appreciate your prompt and competent help.

Best,

A

Highlighted
pkincy
Punch Card
Views: 14,598
Message 9 of 69

What worked for me was doing the bios delete but only after the new Win 10 fingerprint driver from Lenovo.

Good Luck.

Perry
W550s I5 QHCD, W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,511
Message 10 of 69

p.s.: wanted to report that the original problem with the fingerprint reader has been resolved after your great help, thank you guys. @pkincy: what you say could well be true as it apparently fits what I experienced -- however, I cannot say for sure due to lack of reproducibility.

Anyhow, it's like whack-a-mole, as soon as you fix one problem, you are stuck with another: This time I suffer from the Fingerprint reader going to sleep after a while and thus not being active when I try to re-logon, meaning I have to type my pwd. This happens both during normal operation and especially after hibernation. In Device Manager I configured the Synaptics WBDI to not go to sleep, i. e. in tab Power Management uncheck the box 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Strange thing is that the laptop does not heed the setting at all; even stranger, after a while, without my doing, the setting has reverted to a checked box. I have no clue which process/program does this but it's a pain in the butt. Could well be a Windows 10 problem ...

Sorry to bother you guys again but does anybody have a take on this? Thanks in advance and best,

A

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors