Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,662
Message 11 of 69

Re: P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

Angulion

For the issue where can't login by fingerprint after sleep/hibernate.  Are you able to login by PIN when fingerprint doesn't work?  Or is password the only way to login?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,656
Message 12 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

no, login by PIN still works in these situations (even though I set the PIN to sth. ridiculously long for security reasons). My suspicion is that some other program undoes my setting in Device Manager, or it is ignored in the first place.

Thanks for the fast response & best,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,649
Message 13 of 69

Angulion

I am aware of problem where neither PIN nor fingerprint works, but I haven't heard of the issue you are describing.

Is there an error message when you try to login by fingerprint (and it doesn't work)?

Or is the option to login by fingerprint completely disappeared?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,647
Message 14 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

probably, I wasn't too clear about this. The fingerprint option still shows up on the login screen but the fingerprint reader has been turned off for whatever reason (no green light showing up, no response at all). Only after logon via the Pwd (or the PIN) and entering Windows, does the reader come alive again. Plus, the fingerprint shutdown only happens sporadically and especially after hibernation -- if I first log in via Pwd and then lock the screen, the fingerprint reader is working alright. Strange and quite annoying.

Best,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,643
Message 15 of 69

Angulion

I don't know this issue, but I will try to reproduce it here.

Is there any special step I need to know?  e.g. how are you making the system enter/exit hibernation mode, when the problem happens most often?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,632
Message 16 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

your help is greatly appreciated. In my hands, the best way to reproduce the issue is to run the P50 on battery and then put it into hibernate, or rather have it do this itself. When afterwards opening the lid, I first see the white Lenovo logo, followed by the blue Win 10 logo and then eventually the login screen. And that's where (almost?) always the fingerprint reader has stopped working. Hopefully, you can reproduce the issue.

Best,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,615
Message 17 of 69

Angulion

So far I don't see any problem coming out of hibernate and using the fingerprint to unlock Windows, but I will keep trying.  I am running on battery and set up the timers as follow:

Sleep after (on battery):  2 minutes

Hibernate after (on battery):  5 minutes

Question:  are you using BIOS passwords and fingerprint for preboot authentication?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,572
Message 18 of 69

No, I don't use either BIOS passwords nor fingerprint for preboot authentication. Have you unchecked the option 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in Device Manager->Power Management, and does it stay unchecked? In my case, it spontaneously reverts back to checked after a while for no apparent reason, maybe yet another great Win 10 'feature'? I strongly suspect this is related to the fingerprint reader going dormant when it's not supposed to do. Is there maybe some regedit setting to override the GUI controls?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,553
Message 19 of 69

Angulion

No I have not unchecked that option, as the default option is "checked" and there's no need to change it.  You should leave it checked.  However I did a quick test with the option unchecked and still don't see the problem you are reporting.  Fingerprint stays working always.

Can you enable Biometrics logging in Event Viewer?

1. Open Event Viewer
  2. Expand "Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Biometrics -> Operational".
  3. In the right-hand panel, click on "Enable Log"
  4. Reboot the system, then reproduce the issue
  5. Go back to the location of #2 and check for errors/warnings.
Former Employee
Views: 1,530
Message 20 of 69

Have you tried installing the latest version of Intel Management, version 11.0.0.1202 released 1/27/16?

Fixes include: 
- Some Intel ME firmware NVARs are not properly set during firmware parameter customization
- Intel MEI-related security issue
- Intel AMT WebUI becomes inaccessible after a power button override
- Platform may hang during sleep state transition while in remote KVM
- When platform enters CM3-Power Gating state, Intel ME does not wake on link up
- TPM Management window (TPM.msc) is sporadically in failure mode after power flows

It can be found here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS105420

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors