Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,114
Message 21 of 69

Re: P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

Hi there,

sorry took a while to follow up on your suggestions as I had my laptop up and running for a couple of days straight for number-crunching.

@someotherguy: I enabled the event log but to no avail. The last receorded event before the fingerprint reader problem recurred was a successful fingerprint login; the very next event was another successful fingerprint login but this only one occurred after the fingerprint reader went offline and eventually came online again. As before, to make the reader come back online, in between I had to login in via pwd. So, the going offline and coming back online did not trigger any events, and thus there is no additional insight here.

@Amy_Lenovo: I use the Lenovo System Update utility and I naively assumed that this would take care of all required updates. That said, I will download the update and see how it goes.

Best,

A

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,103
Message 22 of 69

p.s.: While I was at it, I checked online which updates are available for the P50 -- it turns out there were several on the support page that System Update had not offered to me although I just ran it moments before. Any comments?

p.p.s.: sorry that this thread is transmogrifying from one problem to the next but it so appears there's no shortage of problems ... Smiley Sad

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,002
Message 23 of 69

There hasn't been posts for some time.

@Angulion, did you solve the problem. I have the exact same problem: sporadic working reader. Backup has been PIN.

@someotherguy, I have the latest updates (including BIOS 1.21) and have enabled logging of the biometrics - will attach next time the issue comes up. It's random but frequently enough so should report back tomorrow.

pryankster
Punch Card
Views: 996
Message 24 of 69

Adding a "me too" to this post.

I have updated to the latest BIOS and intel management software.  

I have enabled the biometrics logging for the next time it happens and will update when it does.  The problem is very sporaidic, and not easily reproducable (especially since I still have the display-won't-come-up-after-sleep issue :-( )

-- pryankster

pkincy
Punch Card
Views: 993
Message 25 of 69

I have likely already posted that mine restarted working after the driver update.  However the way Lenovo has it setup it must be used with a Pin for signin.  I have enough information on my computer that I won't allow it to be accessed without a strong password, so have quit using the fingerprint reader.  The other drawback is that it still is not consistent enough to be as trouble free as a password sign in or the Touch ID in Apple's ecosphere.

Perry
W550s I5 QHCD, W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 979
Message 26 of 69

Hi YanKey, pryankster & pkincy,

thank you for your respective posts which tell me that I am not the only one with this problem, although I feel abandoned enough to believe exactly this. Anyhow, there has been no improvement, if anything, things have gotten worse but it's sporadic and not reproducible. Moreover, as stated further up in the thread, the fingerprint reader without generating any traceable error message, thus very hard to nail down. This issue remains unsolved after all these weeks!

Although it sucks major league, I guess I kind of sucked it up and live it. That being said, I remain hopeful that a solution may be found at some point. So, any input from your end is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 960
Message 27 of 69

We can definitely investigate this issue if we get logs or repro steps.  So far, I don't see this issue on my own systems.

pkincy

You mentioned the PIN requirement.  The PIN is not a Lenovo invention or requirement, actually it is Windows 10 design.  I want to share a link with you about PIN:  https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/keep-secure/why-a-pin-is-better-than-a-password?f=255&MS...

Highlighted
badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 940
Message 28 of 69

The old thinkvantage software worked a lot better than the current microsoft software does. My fingerprint reader works but as often as not I have to type in the pin because the reader can't read my fingerprints. It is so problematic to make it almost worthless. This is on a p70 though not a p50.

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 935
Message 29 of 69

Yes ! I was able to reproduce the conditions of the issue, at least for me. The key is the way the laptop goes into sleep mode:

1. if done software-wise, be it manually in Windows (Start/Power/Sleep) or automatically when idle, when waking up (power button), fingerprint reader is disabled (and green led off).
    Note that no event is logged under Biometrics.
  2. when putting it into sleep by briefly pressing the power button, waking it up would enable the reader.

The above can be checked elsewhere, in the event log under Kernel-Power:

1. if Sleep Reason is "Button or Lid" (did not test lid since I disabled that behavior), reader is on
  2. if Sleep Reason is "Application API" or "System Idle", reader is off

Can any/all of you confirm similar behavior ? @someotherguy, if you can, the ball is in your court ;-)

jswor415
Punch Card
Views: 919
Message 30 of 69

I have a P70 and am lucky if I can use my fingerprint to log into my system.  It seems to work less and less often, but that just could be me.  I have rarely been able to use it now.  Most of the time either typing out my full password, or using the PIN.  I try everytime to use it, but rarely have any luck.

Something else that is odd about it is the indicator light that, at least as far as I could tell, would come on letting me know that I can use my fingerprint rarely does anymore either.  However, when the computer will take a fingerprint, the light turns on while reading my fingerprint.  It doesn't come on ahead of time letting me know that it is going to work though.  Either way, this has been extremely frustrating...  I am posting this here because it might not be a P50 specific issue.

John

John

P70 - Windows 10 Pro, XEON E3-1505M, UHD 4k Display, 64GB ECC RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO M5000M 8GB GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors