Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,057
Message 41 of 69

Re: P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

I reset the bios data and it still doesn't work. Can't do anything to make it work. The green LED has never turned on, maybe the unit itself is defective? I don't want to have to send it back already Smiley Sad

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,013
Message 42 of 69

Hi all,

as an update to my previous post, I unfortunately have to report that in the meantime the fingerprint reader has stopped working altogether, so I am essentially back to square one. I really rue to have accepted someotherguy's post as a solution whereas clearly the problem has not been solved!

I am ready to throw in the towel and to just wait until hopefully in the future sb. will have gotten his act together and fixed the issue. Honestly, the fingerprint issue is bothersome enough but it pales in comparison to the HDMI problem -- had I known about this before, I would most definitely not have bought the P50. Fyi, I am a university instructor and use the laptop for presentations in the classroom on average 3-4 times a week, so I am absolutely depending on a functioning computer! Can't you see that?

Best,

A

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,004
Message 43 of 69

Angulion

Can you please provide more details what you mean by "fingerprint reader has stopped working altogether"?

Does it mean the green LED never turns on?

Does Windows Hello recognize that you have a fingerprint enrolled?

Are you able to enroll another fingerprint?

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 996
Message 44 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

for whatever reason, the reader suddenly stopped working (no error message popping up, green light no turning on any more), and in Device manager it is listed with the following error code "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I tried to have Windows fix the problem but to no avail; the installed driver still is the one you supplied, version 5.1.304.26, dated 04/11/2016.

Anyhow, I am tired of wasting time on this issue -- as indicated before, I will suck it up and live without the fingerprint reader which apparently only works when the phase of moon is right. Sorry for the rant, but as of now the reader is essentially unusable.

Best,

A

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 991
Message 45 of 69

The updated driver has still fixed the issue for me so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water: with the device and driver up and running, the fingerprint works consitently at wake up, which was the issue at hand.

@Angulion, you may not want to spend more time at it but consider a full uninstall and cleanup of the files/registry, then reinstall after reboot. The fact that the fingerprint gets disabled may be due to a conflict, and not a side effect of the fix. The eventlog can tell you why the device stopped or could not start.

@someotherguy, would you have a manual procedure or an uninstall program to completely remove the driver ? 

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 987
Message 46 of 69

Hi YanKey,

I do appreciate your help and am willing to give it another go. However, what exactly do you mean by full uninstall? I can certainly disable fingerprints in Windows Hello and wipe them in the BIOS (as I did before in the process of trying to fix this). If, however, you are talking about a complete Windows uninstall, it's not gonna happen. As for the event log, the last event that shows up in Device Manager is that I successfully installed the updated driver a couple of days ago -- since then, no further events.

Thank you and best,

A

badhabit_wb
Token Ring
Views: 974
Message 47 of 69

I think he means an uninstall of the fingerprint reader driver. Go to device manager\biometrics and uninstall all items listed, mine has two. Uninstall everything, drivers too, and then install the new software. Then reboot the machine and go back and see if it installed the correct driver for the synaptics reader. If you don't have a hardware problem that should fix it. Good luck.

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 959
Message 48 of 69

I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the driver (same as previously installed), rebooted, and the fingerprint reader is working again ... that is, for now it is working. Given the past history of patchy and erratic performance by the reader, I am not optimistic it will keep on working, so expect me to be back in a couple of days ... or, maybe not if I am finally fed up.

Thanks bunch anyhow,

A

Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 918
Message 49 of 69

p.s.: not very surprisingly, the fingerprint reader has stopped working soon after I had gone through the uninstall-reinstall of the driver. As before, in Device Manager I get error code 10, device cannot start. Sucks.

Falcon_CMH
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 50 of 69

This driver worked for me on my new P70 too, I have had it for about a week now.  It seems to me from the date on this it has been over a month and this driver is still not released, not sure why that is.   This issue is a real bummer and degrades the user experience.  I have had several issues that have degraded my user experience on the P70 like this.  I am up and down on returning it in my mind.  I want to keep it but man so far this problem (fingerprint reader) and the delay when clicking the mouse that occurs randomly (not sure if that is the driver, cpu changing states, the gpu or its driver) is way more frustrating than the fingerprint reader although the fingerprint reader was a must for me on this purchase.  This mouse issue which I am still researching is a show stopper for me it is so irratating.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors