Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,701
Message 31 of 69

Re: P50 Win 10 Pro -- Fingerprint stopped working

So sorry for this trouble.  I heard back from our fingerprint team that this is a known issue.  There is a new driver that should be released by the end of April, it should fix this problem.  I am checking to see if I can provide a pre-release version of this driver to the forum.  I will post another update next week.

pryankster
Punch Card
Views: 10,661
Message 32 of 69

Nice to know that there is an upcoming fix for this.  

I had the issue this morning (system had hibernated overnight on battery power -- when it awoke, no finger print reader.  There were no events in the log)

(Solve this, the blank-screen-after-wakeup, and the no HDMI audio issue, and I'll finally be happy with my $3000 laptop. :-(

-- pryankster

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,627
Message 33 of 69

I have pre-release driver to try:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62276273/share/5.01.304.26_prerelease.zip

1. Download and unzip the file
  2. Open Device Manager
  3. Expand the "Biometric Devices" category, and then double-click on the "Synaptics WBDI" device
  4. From the "Driver" tab, click on "Update Driver" button
  5. Click on the option about "Browse my computer for driver software"
  6. Point to the location where you unzipped the file in step #1, then click on Next
  7. Confirm that driver "5.1.304.26" is installed as reported by the "Driver" tab of Device Manager 
  8. Close Device Manager and reboot the PC

Please let me know your feedback about the new driver.

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,599
Message 34 of 69

So far so good. Fingerprint reader comes back every time at wake-up regardless how it went into sleep (idle, soft or hard). 

On a side note, having switched my HDMI display from mini-DisplayPort to HDMI connector at the back of the laptop, I start experiencing the same problems as many others where the external display is not recognized at wake up... But another problem and (existing) topic. 

mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,567
Message 35 of 69

The Pre-release driver didn't work for me. The fingerprint scanner doesn't show up in the sign in options.

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,562
Message 36 of 69

@mtechnica - the pre-release driver is meant to fix the issue where the option is shown but the reader is not activated (green led).

If you don't see the option to start with, make sure you have set up Windows Hello (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/learn-about-windows-hello-and-set-it-up) and saved your fingerprint(s).

mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,557
Message 37 of 69

I have a pin set and it still isn't showing up. It did show up once, though, but it said I don't have a suitable fingerprint reader then I never saw the option again (this was after updating everything). Maybe it's a windows hello issue?

mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,547
Message 38 of 69

Now the hello / fingerprint reader option shows up after a while and it will either say the reader is disconnected or the computer doesn't have a suitable reader.

YanKey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,538
Message 39 of 69

I would clear the prints records in BIOS and start over.
Angulion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,517
Message 40 of 69

Hi someotherguy,

so far the driver update has worked for me, the fingerprint reader has functioned on all attempts. Thank you for supplying the driver before the official release.

I am willing to accept your post as a solution to my original problem. However, there is another problem that is driving me nuts and that many others experience also:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-P50-HDMI-not-working/td-p/2264525

It would be great, if sb. at Lenovo supplied a fix for this other problem, or even acknowledged there is a problem in the first place. Apparently, the other thread is ignored by Lenovo people, so I am posting a link in this thread which evidently has (at least up until now) been frequented by Lenovo folks.

Thanks again and best,

A

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors