Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,339
Message 1 of 43

P50 buyer remorse?

It might be a strange question to post, but I am struggling whether to return the P50 due to the only complaint I have: weight/portability and maybe hope to find something as powerful but lighter later on this year (even if Apple does something drastic on the Macbook Pro front). so I guess my question is, for P50 owners, what would you think would become the P50 weakness/bottleneck over say using it for 1-2 years? what was your second best option when considering whether to get the P50?

As a background, I think I got a good deal from the Lenovo Outlet and got the P50, Xeon, M2000M, 512 M.2. PCIe, 32GB non-ECC RAM, 4K display, all for about US$1.6. I have used recently the HP Studio Mobile and the XPS 15, which are say 1-1.5 punds lighters, but obviously offer less ventilation (more throttling) and less expansion, max 2 disk bays, instead of the 3 bays in the P50.

As I see it, maybe the main bottleneck will become be M2000M down the road as graphic-intensive software becomes even more intensive, which then makes me wonder if rather go with something light as the Razer Blade (with the GeForce 970M).  For me I plan to use it for casual/home photo/video editing, but mostly productivity and moderate "scientific computing" (MatLab, Fortran, for which I am excited to learn more about CUDA-acceleration). 

Maximus2016
Token Ring
Views: 2,220
Message 2 of 43

Re: P50 buyer remorse?

No. While the P50 may not be as thin / light as other competitors, you have to realise that everything is a compromise.

For example, the MacBook Pro has one of the best performance to size/weight ratios of any notebook. But they have made so many design compromises that not one thing in that machine, even RAM / Battery / HDD is user replaceable.

The P50, on the other hand, is the polar opposite of so many MacBook and similar clones. Lenovo actually provides a detailed service manual disassembly videos. Regular users can replace the battery. You can swap out almost any regular part using normal tools. It doesn't overheat to the extent that you risk searing unmentionable body parts when using this laptop. Smiley LOL

To be honest, I think the "thin/light" preoccupation that has proliferated throughout the industry from Apple has created a lot of long-term problems for 95% of people who don't think about how lithium ion batteries will all eventually wear down, or that you might eventually want to upgrade your machine's components.

As for the M2000M, that is one of the few places where I would have preferred a difference choice. I would have gotten an NVIDIA GeForce if it was available. This is because some people like myself are home users who want the robustness, maintainability, user-servicability, replaceable battery and finish of a top-end corporate machine, but still have home applications like games. Everything is a compromise and I got the P50 anyway due to the overall combination of features, ports, robustness, Lenovo keyboard and Skylake chipset.

The only other notebook I was considering was the Zbook Studio G3 T6E14UT, because I wanted USB-C for future compatibility.

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,210
Message 3 of 43

Many thanks. Useful. I am almost set to keep this guy also because I feel I got it at a very good price.

as part of my commitment (otherwise I will be suffering with the decision for a while) I just ordered the m2 tray to consolidate my m2 from home Xps 13. 

On the m2000m I agree with you. I play Th occasional game. Yet I cannot fully blame Lenovo as nvidia advertises the m2000m as the best quadro for 15.6 form factor. I have always wondered how come razer and other manage to fit 970m or on a stretch the 980m in this form factor and they don't do the same for the quadro equivalent. Maybe Lenovo, hp, fell, they don't want to risk overheating impact on long term durability or stability. Or maybe nvidia limits them as to segment the market and get higher profits. What is your theory on this?

Maximus2016
Token Ring
Views: 2,206
Message 4 of 43

If Lenovo offered the NVIDIA GeForce on the P50, this notebook would suddenly be competing with the MSI and ASUS gaming lines, which offer similar features for much lower prices (and more compromises.) So the 95% of people who don't care about enterprise-level quality will just go for those other brands anyway. So Lenovo would be sepending all of these resources on design / test / driver support for something appealing to a few niche users.

This P50 notebook is designed and advertised for the corporate market. And part of that market is CAD / CAE users who are dependent on certified and/or optimized graphics drivers for their particular purposes. This means Quadro.

Highlighted
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,203
Message 5 of 43

Agree. But then why not try to fit the m4000m in the 15.6 inches which I guess is the equivalent of the 970m that many manage to fit in 15.6 or smaller? I would pay for that. 

Guru
Views: 2,172
Message 6 of 43

@jdrodrig wrote:

Many thanks. Useful. I am almost set to keep this guy also because I feel I got it at a very good price.

as part of my commitment (otherwise I will be suffering with the decision for a while) I just ordered the m2 tray to consolidate my m2 from home Xps 13. 

Be careful on the M.2 tray. There are two versions: one is for SATA M.2 and the other is for NVMe-PCIe M.2. Placing the SSD into the wrong tray is guaranteed to smoke the P50.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Maximus2016
Token Ring
Views: 2,159
Message 7 of 43

If Lenovo introduced the M4000M on the P50, they would be cannibalizing the sales of the P70.

If you have deep enough pockets to afford the M4000M in the first place, Lenovo wants you to be buying the most premium and expensive machine!

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,157
Message 8 of 43

Thanks harrisb I definitely did not know that. the website only offers one for m2 and one for 2.5. Any chance you have the part numbers of either one? But now that I think about it; my disk came from an early 2015 xps so I am not sure it is the nvme.

is the nvme hotter (more power use) or the other way around ?

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,127
Message 9 of 43

@Maximus2016 wrote:

If Lenovo introduced the M4000M on the P50, they would be cannibalizing the sales of the P70.

If you have deep enough pockets to afford the M4000M in the first place, Lenovo wants you to be buying the most premium and expensive machine!

Thanks, exactly my thoughts; rather than technical limitation is basically market segmentation, profit seeking from Nvidia.

Guru
Views: 2,108
Message 10 of 43

@jdrodrig wrote:

Thanks harrisb I definitely did not know that. the website only offers one for m2 and one for 2.5. Any chance you have the part numbers of either one? But now that I think about it; my disk came from an early 2015 xps so I am not sure it is the nvme.

is the nvme hotter (more power use) or the other way around ?

I've never seen the comparison between the two types of SSD for heat generation. The following are the part numbers you requested:

Tray for the M.2 SATA SSD is: 4XB0L78233           

Tray for the M.2 NVMe-PCIe SSD is: 4XB0K59917            

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors