Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrfx
Token Ring
Views: 905
Message 1 of 8

P50 camera freeze after Win10 1809 Update

Hi!

Built-in camera of my Thinkpad P50 after "October 2018" 1809 Windows 10 update or some later update has been broken. It works for few seconds only and then picture freeze. There are general hacks available in Internet like to add this key to Windows Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform\EnterFrameServerMode and set it to 0

but unfortunately since above change, although the picture not freeze after few seconds, apps (like Skype or Windows Camera) have started to crash very often while displaying the picture from camera, so I removed that key.

I have checked privacy settings and camera is on there and apps I use are allowed to use it.

Should I wait for driver update or is there any other solution?

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 870
Message 2 of 8

Re: P50 camera freeze after Win10 1809 Update

Hi I have a P50 with 1809 and I open the windows camera app. It has now worked and recorded  for several minutes without any freeze.

I suspect you might have a hardware issue with your setup.

luisaranda
What's DOS?
Views: 704
Message 3 of 8

Did you find a solution? I'm having the same isue

mrfx
Token Ring
Views: 565
Message 4 of 8

@luisaranda wrote:

Did you find a solution? I'm having the same isue

I changed disk to the new nvme ssd and after fresh installation of Windows my camera works fine again (Windows 10 Pro 1903).

TPsworththewait
Fanfold Paper
Views: 325
Message 5 of 8

Did you get your issue resolved. Having the same issue with my P50 and looking for a less drastic solution than starting from scratch. Doesn't really make sense that replacing the hard drive would be the generally accepted solution to what seems to be a driver issue.
mrfx
Token Ring
Views: 313
Message 6 of 8

@TPsworththewait wrote:
Did you get your issue resolved. Having the same issue with my P50 and looking for a less drastic solution than starting from scratch. Doesn't really make sense that replacing the hard drive would be the generally accepted solution to what seems to be a driver issue.

To clarify, the solution has been to reinstall the OS. I tried reinstalling cam driver many times, various ways, without success. I'm sure it is possible to fix the problem by removing or replacing some system files or registry entries, but unfortunately either Lenovo or Microsoft have not provided any solution. Replacing the SSD was just coincidence.

BTW... since it looks like the motherboard in my P50 got a failure recetnly, 3 months after warranty (stlll bios one fan error after replacing the heatsink with fans) and considering it had to be repaired few times during warranty, even though laptop is used only at one desk... I have started to be sick of current Thinkpads, but camera still works.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 301
Message 7 of 8

What app are you using to determine camera is frozen? Levovo vantage?
Highlighted
luisaranda
What's DOS?
Views: 261
Message 8 of 8

Tested with Skype. You can use the settings menu and go to audio and video options and check if the camera is freezing.

Also my issue was resolved after reinstalling the driver.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors