Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
i2000s
HDMI
Views: 633
Message 1 of 3

P50 cannot upgrade to The Fall Creator UPdate of Windows 10

Tried to upgrade from Windows Update as well as using the Media Creator Tool by downloading from the Microsoft website, neither of them works. In the end, I got an error code "0xC1900101 - 0x20017", and a message "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation." I have every driver and OS software updated to-date. I do have Ubuntu installed as a dual-boot OS and Macrium Reflect configured as a recovery software from the boot, which might have caused the problem. I encountered this issue a while ago with the Spring Creator Update (see here), and I fixed it by deleting the Ubuntu booting partition, which I definitely want to avoid!

I searched on Google, similar issued happened for HP laptops and was related to the BIOS driver. Does anyone know if this issue is related to the Thinkpad BIOS setting or something we have to wait for Lenovo to fix? Any solution to this issue? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 604
Message 2 of 3

Re: P50 cannot upgrade to The Fall Creator UPdate of Windows 10

The P50 is one of the devices listed as tested with the update.  

https://support.lenovo.com/ni/en/solutions/ht505322

It seems likely that the problem is related to tour Ubuntu boot partition

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
i2000s
HDMI
Views: 527
Message 3 of 3

Re: P50 cannot upgrade to The Fall Creator UPdate of Windows 10

Ok, I managed to installed the Fall Creator Update but found Windows 10 forced the OS installing the latest drivers for the Intel 530 and NVidia drivers. This results in the sleeping/wakeup issue due to the buggy Intel graphics driver. See this post. I cannot even roll back because all previous drivers have been removed from the update. 

So, people who want to do the FCU update, please be aware of this issue. Or, Lenovo stuff should let us know how they have tested P50 is compatible with the FCU update. This issue has been reported to Intel. As stated by Intel people, this issue cannot be fixed solely from Intel driver. We may also need a BIOS update on the motherboard to resolve it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors