Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicktonka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,459
Message 1 of 7

P50 doesn't always sleep when lid closed

I've had about 5 instances where I've closed the laptop and put it in my laptop bag to pull the laptop out an hour later and have it be super hot.  It seems something has hung the system up from sleeping like it should when I close the lid.  I'm sure eventually I'll start getting thermal damage, especially the Samsung 950 NVME drives, so I am a bit concerned.  I usually pay attention now that I know this happens, but occasionally forget like today and worry about the damage that could be caused if it was left for an extended amount of time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Laptop is a Lenovo P50 with a Xeon processor. 

Memory is Kingston HyperX 4x16gb 2400mhz

Hard drives are Samsung 950 m.2 in raid 0, and a Samsung Evo SSD

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,400
Message 2 of 7

Re: P50 doesn't always sleep when lid closed

Sounds like it is failing to enter hibernation, which it should be doing after it goes to sleep (for a period of time (set under Sleep settings under Advance Power Options).

It could be cause by a number of things

• A mechanical issue where the lid closure switch is not working properly, which I believe on that model is inside the hinge.   If that is the case, well physical repairs would be needed. 
  • Hibernation is disabled (unlikely since it is random)   I could also possibly be due to a corrupt hiberfil.sys file, which can easily be deleted and recreated by just disabling, and then re-enabling hibernation
  • The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is running.

How to Enable, and re-enable Hibernation

• Right click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) and press Enter
  • Type:   powercfg /h off   and press Enter
  • Wait for the prompt to return, and then type  powercfg /h on and press Enter

To disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

• Right click on Start, select Run, type:  services.msc  and press Enter

Check the state of the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, and check the Service Status to see if it is Started (normally it is set to Automatic but not always started), so for testing, or if you never use it, try disabling the service.

• Right-click on the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, select Properties, and in the properties windows, change Startup type from Automatic to Disabled, and then stop the service.

There is also a setting to control the sleep behavior in the Control Panel >> Power Options >> Change Plan Settings >> Change Advanced Power Settings that should be set to Allow the computer to sleep, and NOT set to Prevent Idle to sleep while on the On Battery Power Plan.      If set to Prevent Idle to sleep, and the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is started and running, the system goes into "Away Mode" instead of sleep.

Capture.JPG

Good Luck,

dijkdj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,336
Message 3 of 7

Had the same issue a number of times. I'm also concerned about the life of critical components when they get hot. Hope you get an answer.

Helmanfrow
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,203
Message 4 of 7

Same! There's no telling when this will happen.

I just pulled it out of its case and it was hot enough to fry an egg. Must have been in there cooking for the better part of an hour while I was in transit. I let it cool down but the fan is still spinning at full RPM, blowing cold air, and it's annoyingly loud. I really hope this problem goes away on its own. I can't afford to send this machine back for repair (again).

dijkdj
Paper Tape
Views: 1,197
Message 5 of 7

Would be nice if someone from Lenovo responded

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 1,192
Message 6 of 7

This has happened to me a number of times as well, when the computer was in sleep mode; P50/Win7.

The first time, it happened when I had a W510/Win 7, so, I think this is a Windows 7 not a Lenovo issue.

If I'm going to put the Laptop in a bag, I force it to Hibernate, not sleep.

This has never happened to me when the computer is in Hibernation.

D.A.V.

Views: 1,188
Message 7 of 7

This is also windows 10. The fact is that the Lenovo laptop decides to wake up even when its closed. It can interpreted that its closed, so why should anything but the power button on a docking station wake the computer?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors