Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kalyanmudi
Punch Card
Views: 3,209
Message 1 of 5

P50 doesn't wake up from sleep

Hello,

I have been using this new machine for last 2 months and am experiencing this issue from time to time. When I don't work on the laptop, I just close the lid. After some time, I see that the red led light on the lid goes blinking on slow pace - that tells me the machine has gone into sleep mode. Now, when I come back to the machine later, usually I see either the red led is still blinking or completely gone off. I open the lid, the machine wakes up and I can start working on.

However, at times, when I come back, I see that the red led on the lid is constantly on. In those occasions, when I open the lid, the machine doesn't "wake up". I see that the greed led on the power button is constantly on - so that kind of indicates that the machine IS probably awake. But, the screen is black/empty as if its still sleeping. In these situations, I normally end up with force restarting the machine - making me to reopen all the  applications once again, if not loosing some work/data.

Is there anywya I can tweak any setting or follow any best practice - that can prevent this issue from re-ocurring?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

kalyanmudi
Punch Card
Views: 3,105
Message 2 of 5

Re: P50 doesn't wake up from sleep

So, I posted this in reddit today as well and I was suggested to disable "Intel Rapid Start Technology" in BIOS. The reason was that - some of my outdated driver could be causing my machine to fail to wake up from deep sleep (caused by iRST).

I can't seem to find iRST in BIOS. I tried to look for it in Config->Power section but I see a configuration for Intel SpeedStep technology or something like. Do you know if its the same?

On a different note - I use "system update" lenovo utility to make sure drivers are updated. Is this utility not fully effective?

rastus81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,060
Message 3 of 5

I have this problem too!

Have you managed to fix it yet?

kalyanmudi
Punch Card
Views: 3,039
Message 4 of 5

I didn't (couldn't) do anything to fix it. Few days back, updated one driver (something like 'intel **** management ***') and since then haven't had this problem yet. But, this could be coincidental. I was having issue with chrome on windows 10. Once in a while chrome wouldn't launch. Or, if already opened, it won't launch a new tab. All this usually would prevent my machine to gracefully restart or shut down. So, I have stopped using chrome as well. 

With the above, I haven't had this sleep/wake up problem. I think it could be that driver. See if your "System Update" lenovo utility lists anything that you are missing.

vladislavsd
What's DOS?
Views: 1,954
Message 5 of 5

Actually, I installed the latest drivers using Lenovo Update and this started to happen with my machine. I close the lid or machine sleeps after 30min of inactivity. When I open the lid, the green power light is on, hard drive LED blinks and appears that the machine is working. The screen remains black.

I tried to re-install the NVIDIA drivers because they were the part of that upgrade. I don't remember if I also installed the Power management drivers.

The machine is up because I am able to connect to it using TeamViewer. TeamViewer gives me a black screen as well but at least it allows me to do proper reboot.

I tried multiple solutions online and tinkering with BIOS settings; to no avail. This is very frustrating! I need to shut down the machine completely to avoid doing those hard shut downs constantly!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors