Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badasscat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,565
Message 1 of 5

P50 fingerprint reader stopped working after Win10 Creator's Update

I've now tried installing the Windows 10 Pro Creator's Update twice, and both times my fingerprint reader stopped working for Windows Hello. I just get "Your credentials could not be verified". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver (and I'm on the latest), removing and re-registering my fingerprint, and I've also tried the trick I saw suggested elsewhere of switching to a local account, then back to a Microsoft account. That works temporarily but as soon as I switch back to my MS account, it breaks again.

I've rooted around the BIOS but everything seems fine. I have the same fingerprint set on startup and that still works fine; Windows just doesn't recognize it, either when it's passed on from the BIOS or when I try to do it again manually.

Has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it *without* reverting permanently to a local account? I don't see why that should be necessary and it definitely isn't supposed to be.

I have reverted back to the Anniversary Update both times because of this issue.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,492
Message 2 of 5

Re: P50 fingerprint reader stopped working after Win10 Creator's Update

I have not heard of this issue before but I wonder if something is corrupted with your particular Microsoft account.  Have you tried creating another Microsoft account to see if it works OK?  Another idea is to remove your fingerprints both in Windows and in BIOS.  To remove them in BIOS, go to the Security -> Fingerprint page and select the item about reset fingerprint data.

As a last resort, try clearing the TPM.  Type "tpm.msc" into the Start menu, and then click on the "clear TPM" link in the Actions pane on the right-hand side.  This will invalidate all of your Windows Hello credentials (including the PIN) so make sure you know your Windows password or else you won't be able to log into Windows again.  Then, remove your invalidated PIN, create a new PIN, and try enrolling fingerprints again.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 4,469
Message 3 of 5

I had the same problem. I just reset my fingerprint in Windows Hello (settings/personal account). Then it worked again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
badasscat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,355
Message 4 of 5

Just to give some finality to this and help anyone else out that has this problem; I realize it's been a month. But I finally decided to try again and got it working.

What I did was delete *everything* in Windows Hello. The key seemed to be deleting the PIN. That reset Windows Hello completely, and *then* when I re-enrolled the fingerprint and PIN, it worked fine.

It may have helped if I'd said earlier that the PIN wasn't working either. I wasn't aware that they were directly related; I thought they were just two different ways of logging in and I don't really care about logging in with a PIN (in fact I can't see how a PIN is at all secure, so I wish it didn't exist). I didn't realize that the PIN enables Windows Hello and removing it disables Windows Hello. It seems I just needed to disable it and then re-enable Windows Hello and the PIN actually does that.

In the end it was so simple! But there is no indication anywhere that removing the PIN resets Windows Hello, so I had no idea. Initially I just kept removing and re-enrolling the fingerprint by itself, which had no effect. I then went into the BIOS and reset the fingerprint data there, which also didn't help. It was all about the PIN.

sysprg
Punch Card
Views: 4,120
Message 5 of 5

I've gone thorough the same problem on my P51. When I've run in DeviceManager I've detected that fingerprit scanner is indicated as unsupported. I've DELETED this device, rebooted and after the reboot fingerprint scanner appeared to be GREEN and ready to read my fingerprints

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors