Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 545
Message 1 of 10

P50 freezes for a second when playing video/audio from HDD

Hello,

I've been noticing something since I got my P50 that is very irritiating. I am running Windows 10 on a M.2 SSD and using the stock HDD for storage. I have a couple of games stored on the HDD along with a library of some music. Whenever I play a game, I notice 1 second freezing of both video and audio before the game resumes back. The games I'm playing are very light pre 2011 games that I used to run on my old laptop. To further cement the point, I have a dac/amp connected to the P50 via a USB port. Music will be playing and suddenly things stop for a second or so before it resumes.

If I am to guess what is happening, I might say the HDD is trying to go to sleep in those moments I notice the 1 second freezing. If that is the case, what can I do to stop that ?

medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 469
Message 2 of 10

Re: P50 freezes for a second when playing video/audio from HDD

I was just playing a game on Dolphin emulator. When the file is on the secondary HDD, the game freezes one or twice every minute for 1 second or so. I moved the game ROM from the secondary HDD that I'm using to the primary SSD and the game played without a single freeze.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening ?

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 454
Message 3 of 10

@medwatt wrote:

I was just playing a game on Dolphin emulator. When the file is on the secondary HDD, the game freezes one or twice every minute for 1 second or so. I moved the game ROM from the secondary HDD that I'm using to the primary SSD and the game played without a single freeze.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening ?

Is the Stock HDD the 500GB one from lenovo, and In windows power settings are The HDD's set to sleep in just one minute? I would run Crystaldiskinfo to see the health of the HDD.

http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfo

disk health.PNG

explorer_2017-01-16_14-04-11.png

Malcolm 

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 442
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried them. They didn't solve the problem.

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 434
Message 5 of 10

Perhaps the g protection app is malfunctioning and thinking your hdd is constantly being moved causing it to spin down? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds014892

I would Suspend it to just to check.

airbag.PNG

medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 410
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for replying. I've already tried all your suggestions. I should have mentioned in my original post all the things I've tried to resolve the issue. Because the hard disk seems OK and the laptop being on a desk makes me feel it might not be the hard disk after all. But I only notice this issue when running things that are on the hard disk. Here are the things I have noticed so far:

1. Music stored locally on the HDD stops playing for a second every once in a while.

2. Experince freezing while playing games that are stored on the HDD.

3. Experience freezing while running Eclipse IDE, which is stored on the HDD.

The freezing only lasts of a second in all cases and occurs about as frequently as in the other cases. I moved one of the games from the HDD to the SSD on which the OS is installed and the games didn't freeze a single time. That's the reason that made me to believe the problem is HDD related.

lenovo.png

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 406
Message 7 of 10

It still sounds like the drive or your sata controller is bad on that port. I did not get a hdd with mine what brand is the stock hdd? Is it a Seagate, WD, ect?

Malcolm
medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 396
Message 8 of 10

I think I might have zeroed in on the solution. I removed the stock 500GB HDD and inserted a 256GB HDD I had lying around. I then copied the same games I had before on the new HDD. Not a single freeze. I then formatted the 500GB HDD and reinserted it again. This time I copied only the game that I was going to test on to it. Again, not a single freeze. So, it seems that I have found the solution. I then partioned the 500GB into two; one for Ubuntu installtion and the other for holding files. I then transferred back all the files I had before to one of the partitions. I tried playing the game again to see if everything is still OK. Yes, everything played nicely. After I had reinstalled Ubuntu on the other partition, I tried the game once. The freezing has returned. I've partition my HDDs in the past this way and never had any issues. I have no idea why. Below is a schematic of the way my HDD is partition.

hd.png

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 389
Message 9 of 10

Is the HDD in AF? Perhaps that is the issue your having as it is making a compatibility issue with aligning the partitions correctly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

I would still have seatools or WDlifeguard check the disk though to be safe. I also would chime into some Ubuntu forms perhaps and explain your exact disk hierarchy to them.

Malcolm
medwatt
Punch Card
Views: 367
Message 10 of 10

I've done all the test on the software you recommended. Everything was reported to be alright. I also posted a description of the problem on askUbuntu, but with the deluge of questions posted there every minute, I wonder if mine won't be just lost among the lot.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/873912/freezing-on-windows-10-after-installing-ubuntu-on-another-hdd

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors