Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaiGeo
Paper Tape
Views: 321
Message 1 of 8

P50 speakers on permanent mute, please help

I have had this Thinkpad P50 since January and it has been functioning perfectly however starting roughly 3 weeks ago the speakers have been stuck on permanent mute. The mute key on the keyboard is permanently lit and if pressed the windows sound display switches from mute to unmute however the key stays lit. Headphone used with the audio jack as well as usb work perfectly and sound plays from other speakers(television) when using an HDMI cable. It seems the only thing effected is the laptops speakers.

Things I have tried:
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers twice.
I have switched the laptop off and on again mutiple times.
I am running Windows 10 which is up to date.
I have made sure the audio is set to play out of the laptops speakers.
I have run the playback diagnostics in order to try solve this to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 286
Message 2 of 8

Re: P50 speakers on permanent mute, please help

First, is there a speaker icon on the right side of the taskbar.  (You may need to click the up-arrow to see it.)   See if the speaker is muted.   Then, look in the control panel under sounds.  Find the laptop speakers and make sure the playback level is not muted.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SaiGeo
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 3 of 8

The playback level is not muted, when testing the device is shows the levels changing as if there were sound but no sound actually comes out of the speakers. Best I can think is that there is a hardware issue?
luckypunq
Punch Card
Views: 270
Message 4 of 8

Have you had the system attached to any bluetooth audio device ? I find myself having issues similar to those described above after I disconnect from my BT Cambridge G5 speaker. I had to uninstall BT and Realtek Audio drivers and reinstall to get them working again, after that happened all the Lenovo integration and Dolby app stopped showing up or working, but at least I now have functionality.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 261
Message 5 of 8

The speaker itself could be bad

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 251
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

Have you tried booting from a live Linux distro (USB, CD, DVD, etc.) to see if the sound works under that?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Highlighted
superklutz
What's DOS?
Views: 231
Message 7 of 8

I had the exact problem descibed (Win10/1709 muted via keyboard hdw. Orange LED on above keypad...) For me I found that if I turned on the function lock (FN+Esc), then toggled mute with FN+F1 (not the mute button over the keyboard), It muted the OS, but unmuted the hardware, turning off the orange LED. Then I left-clicked the volume icon in the tooltray and unmuted the OS by clicking the x next to the speaker icon, everything started working again. Not very intuitive...

SaiGeo
Paper Tape
Views: 178
Message 8 of 8

THIS WORKED! Bless your speaker saving soul! Thank you so much, finally I have speakers again
Top Kudoed Authors