Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
capricorn86
Paper Tape
Views: 6,337
Message 1 of 11

P50 touchpad not working

Hi,

I've had a Lenovo P50 thinkpad for a few days, and initially the touchpad was working absoluely fine. But today it just randomly stopped functining all together. All the touchpad/tracker buttons/detection just doesn't respond. 

I have to naivate my laptop using a mouse at the moment. I've tried re-installing the Synaptics pointing device driver but it didn't change anything - the touchpad is still unresponsive.

I also noticed that when I drill into the "Mouse" properties under Control Panel, the touchpad/tracker options are disabled in the GUI, and only the touchpad is ticked (tracker is not ticked) - however, since they're disbaled I can't change anything. 

I also checked my BIOS to see if the touchpad got disabled there, but it is actually enabled.

Any ideas on what to do?

Cheers

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 6,303
Message 2 of 11

Re: P50 touchpad not working

strange, just to confirm, is the trackpoint working?

could it be a function + Fx key that turns off the trackpoint?

I dont have my P50 handy, but just trying to help.

capricorn86
Paper Tape
Views: 6,287
Message 3 of 11

The P50 doesn't have a fn + Fkey to turn the touchpad/trackpoint on/off - no idea why or how it randomly turned off..

I am currently having to use a mouse to navigate around the laptop. 

microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 6,260
Message 4 of 11

Have you installed anything recently? If so, have you tried doing a System Restore?

And I know this sounds dumb, and probably won't help, but does it work without a mouse plugged in? Because I was using a friend's B50-80, and the trackpad did not work with a USB mouse plugged in, but did without the USB mouse attached. I know, weird!
-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
capricorn86
Paper Tape
Views: 6,255
Message 5 of 11

I did a system restore yesterday and it failed horribly. I had to restore back from safe mode!

Unattaching the mouse doesn't do anything either. I need the mouse plugged in to navigate around.

I'll try and call lenovo UK today and see what they suggest but I envisage they'll have to take the laptop away to have a look.

microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 6,226
Message 6 of 11

Have you run an antivirus scan? And if you only use Windows Defender, I would recommend MalwareBytesAntiMalware, or Panda Security's online scan.
If you use MBAM, make sure you go to options and select "scan for rootkits" and "scan inside archives."
It is possible you got a virus or rootkit that deleted a driver or modified the Registry.

Example: one of my friends (former tech support guy for the tech support company he worked for--unless it was a tax company--I forget right now) just got a bug [from the most recent (as of Saturday) free version of Glary Utilities] that added a toolbar-of-sorts to all his webpages. He thought the installation was suspicious as it was occurring, but it was from a "trusted" site and had passed both of his anti-virus/malware scanners, so he didn't stop it. (sidenote: He thinks Glary Utilities' download page got hacked.) He hasn't been able to rid of this toolbar yet, and is thinking of restoring from a cloned image.

In the past, Viruses or rootkits have corrupted System Restore on his machine, leading to catastrophic results when trying to restore.

Did you make an image of your drive prior to the touchpad failing? If so, you could try restoring to that (after backing up any new/changed files in My Docs/Pics).  It might help.

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 6,216
Message 7 of 11

Are the devices actually detected in the device manger (not the mouse control panel)? It perhaps became loose and unplugged it self at the ribbon cable side.

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
capricorn86
Paper Tape
Views: 6,208
Message 8 of 11

I was on a call with Lenovo support and we couldn't get it to work. They escalated to level 2 support and an engineer is going to come out to replace the bezel which holds the touchpad.

egauvin
Paper Tape
Views: 6,176
Message 9 of 11

I had the same problem,

I just installed bios v. 1.29 and it seems to work now

(This Bios version was avalaible on LENOVO web site, not on my computer update Lenovo software)

lnthach
Paper Tape
Views: 5,720
Message 10 of 11

My P50 has same the problem.

During the initialization for the first time, the Trackpoint and Trackpad are not worked.

I have tried to install the Bios version 1.29 and the latest version at current time, version 1.37. All drivers are updated with the latest version. But the problem is not solved.

I have try to run Ubuntu, the TrackPoint and TouchPad are worked. But the Track Buttons are noted worked.

So, I think the hardware of the TrackPoint, TrackPad are OK. Maybe the Ubuntu has no driver for Track Buttons!

In the Windows 10, all the TrackPoint, TouchPad and Track Buttons do nothing,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors