Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lj01
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 1 of 4

P50 with Windows 7 downgrade rights upgrading to Windows 10

Hi - I bought the P50 (20EN) back in 2016 with the W7 downgrade rights, and I'm looking to now upgrade to W10 - I have submitted the order for the USB recovery tool and downloaded that, but question - I don't have my product key nor is there a sticker on my machine with the key - I'm concerned that during the process I'll be asked for a key.  I'm assuming that I may not need the key, that somehow it's embedded in the machine or something like that, but I don't want to go through the process and then have to buy a license or something like that.  Can anyone advise how that works?

Also, do I need to do some kind of change from BIOS to UEFI?

Thanks for any help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 274
Message 2 of 4

Re: P50 with Windows 7 downgrade rights upgrading to Windows 10

There is nothing to do.  The key is in the BIOS and the installation will activate automatically.  If, instead, you install from a microsoft iso image, it may ask for a key, but indicate that you don't have one.  It wil also activate automatically.  If you want a UEVI image rather than legacy, go into the BIOS before installation and you can either turn on secure boot, if that's what you want, or turn on both with UEFI first or UEFI only.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lj01
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 3 of 4

Thanks so much for the info.  If I do the UEFI switch as you indicate, does that have any effect on it, or is still embedeed in either BIOS or UEFI?

Is there any way to retrieve it from the BIOS just in case I end up needing it?

Thanks again!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 252
Message 4 of 4

UEFI or not doesn't matter.  All the markers can be found using something like RWEverything.  You cannot ever use it or enter it.  It is for OEM activation only.  It gets assigned during manufacturing and is tied to that physical motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors