Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomdesert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 822
Message 1 of 10

P50 with dual "1 TB SSD PCIe-NVMe" config

Hi All,

First Lenovo laptop purchased with my company and directly a first ticket at Lenovo support and a first post on the forum... sigh. BUT nevertheless let me start by wishing you guys and girls all the best for 17.

So we got our first P50, one week ago. The machine has 2x '1 TB SSD PCIe-NVMe'.

I'm struggling to get the second one to work... Allow me to briefly describe my situation & questions:

Last week: We got the laptop but upon first boot I've ran into:

"2104 Detection Error on SSD2 (M.2) Press Esc to Continue."

Side-Effects of this errors were

- the BIOS boot menu not showing the NVMe1 disk type, and

- Windows device/partition manager not seeing the disk.

Obviously there is a problem with the second SSD.

So we opened a ticket at Lenovo. 4 days later, today, I did get the replacement 1TB SSD PCIe NVMe disk.

Some transport guy handing me the disk, taking off.

The error is gone, but the disk is still not recognized.

Swapping it with slot0 NVMe0, which holds my OS, correctly shows disk info at boot menu.

So the replacement disk is OK, but still not recognized.

- is it expected of the customer (us) to do this disk swap ourselves (under warrenty, dead on arrival)?

- is this the issue with SAMSUNG & BIOS & UEFI (v1.35 End December 16) ... ? https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-...

- Can someone give me advice on how to proceed? Seems like updating the Lenovo ticket has no effect, gotten no feedback except automatical processing of sending and arrival of replacement part.

Quite the dissapointment so far for a very expensive first laptop!

Looking at the Community for advice to chapotle away

Views: 805
Message 2 of 10

Re: P50 with dual "1 TB SSD PCIe-NVMe" config

Very disappointing, clearly shouldn't happen but sometimes does.  Manufacturing quality control is not always what it should be.

From your description, I assume you do not have the Onsite warranty support service.

I'd call Tech Support directly and demand immediate "escalation" -- speak to a supervisor or manager, if necessary.  Perhaps they can arrange for a tech to come out with another replacement part and troubleshoot the problem.

You shouldn't have to threaten to return the machine for a refund/replacement but that is an option as well.

Please keep us apprised of progress.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 760
Message 3 of 10

It is possible the slot is bad.  Are you sure the machine is COMPLETELY shut down before you inserted the drive?  Choose shutdown from within windows as you press and hold the shift key.  Hold the shift key until it has finished shutting down.  That will force it to do a full POST including hardware detection.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tomdesert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 744
Message 4 of 10

I just called TecSupport directly. They said 'the line is bad... probably due to weather' and we agreed I would call back tomorrow. It was literally 4 minutes before their shift ended, they stop at 18:00 local time. LoL

Support did suggest it could be something with the motherboard, and that a new ticket would have to be opened.

Whilst preparing for tomorrow's phone call ... Your remark on Warrenty got me thinking.

I got the default option that added no expense: "Base warranty: Think 3 Year On-site"

Will check with them to find out what I am entitled to. (long story short Warrenty Terms can be interpreted two ways it seems, regarding onSite, and replacement stuff)

I'll update tomorrow.

PS: nonono I don't even DARE to mention there is backlight bleeding TOO. When testing the 2nd SSD it struck my eye.

Turned the desktop background color to black and there is was, in all its glory.

P2: Don't get me wrong, I've used Lenovo for years, as an employee. I really Love the P50 ! But for my employees, we'll see how Lenovo handels this first.

Views: 743
Message 5 of 10

I followed the Lenovo P50 documentation:
Power Off,
Remove battery
Remove backplate, ...

Suppose removing the battery does what you mean? Nevertheless, I'll try it now, wont update if NOK
Views: 717
Message 6 of 10

Sure you checked this but just to make sure, you do not have the RAID setting set in the bios while trying to use the the slots as seperate disks correct? I would set defaults in the bios then reboot and then make sure RAID is not set. It does sound like your slot is bad though.

Malcolm

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
improwise
HDMI
Views: 703
Message 7 of 10

Had the exact same problem with the exact same configuration. The second 1 TB SSD would work sometimes. Decided to open up the P50 and noticed that one of the discs where not securly fitted so I detached it and then reattached it and it has been working since. Need to have it working a few more days though before I conclude my solutions solved the problem as I have not dared to put any data on that disc yet. Have done a few reformats of it though (real ones, not quick ones) as well as runned CrystalDiscMark on it and those have not shown any problems.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 666
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

Just to provide some anecdotal data since the sample size is too small (e.g., just me), when I got my P50, I removed the 2.5" HDD I ordered mine with and replaced it with two M.2 SSDs.  When I installed the second M.2 SSD, I didn't have a good fit, and had the exact same error.  Removing power from the unit, opening it up and reseating the M.2 SSD solved the problem for me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
tomdesert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 627
Message 9 of 10

Thanks guys,

Been a busy week, just took the time to do some extra fiddling. (asked by Lenovo support)

I moved my System Disk, SSD1 to the second NVMe slot.

Now my (newly received) DATA SSD is in NVMe0 and my Windows SSD in NVMe1.

Then moved NVMe1 to the top of the Startup Order and could boot without a problem, AND with both SSD visible.

I moved them back to the original configuration and the problem is there again.

With Data disk back in the second NVMe slot.

Replugged gently, tested: nothing

Replugged more fiercly: nothing

Swapped both slots again: problem gone again

Smiley Frustrated

Maybe something to do with the "drawer",

There is a slight difference in how FAR the SSD device is inserted, in comparison to NVMe0, ALWAYS, also when I have it working. I also don't get the same "click" comparing NVMe0 and 1.

Maybe the SSD of the drawer I'm using for my OS is just a bit more 'out' of the drawer, giving it more potential for connectivity in the "lesser quality connection" for NVMe1.

Indeed, improvise, remains to see if your "intervention" or my "swap trick" really did the trick, and solved this issue, or just from time to time...

Views: 624
Message 10 of 10

@tomdesert wrote:

Thanks guys,

Been a busy week, just took the time to do some extra fiddling. (asked by Lenovo support)

I moved my System Disk, SSD1 to the second NVMe slot.

Now my (newly received) DATA SSD is in NVMe0 and my Windows SSD in NVMe1.

Then moved NVMe1 to the top of the Startup Order and could boot without a problem, AND with both SSD visible.

I moved them back to the original configuration and the problem is there again.

With Data disk back in the second NVMe slot.

Replugged gently, tested: nothing

Replugged more fiercly: nothing

Swapped both slots again: problem gone again

Smiley Frustrated

Maybe something to do with the "drawer",

There is a slight difference in how FAR the SSD device is inserted, in comparison to NVMe0, ALWAYS, also when I have it working. I also don't get the same "click" comparing NVMe0 and 1.

Maybe the SSD of the drawer I'm using for my OS is just a bit more 'out' of the drawer, giving it more potential for connectivity in the "lesser quality connection" for NVMe1.

Indeed, improvise, remains to see if your "intervention" or my "swap trick" really did the trick, and solved this issue, or just from time to time...

Mine has been working so far since I did my "intervention". Unfortunately, I have asked for a return of th P50 anyway because the simple doesn't seem to be any LCD panels worth my money offered from Lenovo. It probably doesn't help that I am comming from a MacBook Pro which usually have one of the best panels in the business (and a price to match that).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors