Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsdmems
Punch Card
Views: 794
Message 1 of 7

P50S Microphone mute doesn't work since the latest BIOS update

When I push the mute button nothing happens (the little light doesn't turn on) and when I go into "Control Panel"/"Hardware and Sound" and click on "Lenovo - Microphone Mute" I get a message that says "Error - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 732
Message 2 of 7

Re: P50S Microphone mute doesn't work since the latest BIOS update

What BIOS did you update to? 

What BIOS did you have on your system previously? 

Try flashing back down to an earlier BIOS release to see if that fixes the problem.  

rsdmems
Punch Card
Views: 726
Message 3 of 7

I just checked my update history and it may not have been a BIOS update that did it. (I also have a P70 and that BIOS was just updated and I may have confused the two.) The recent P50S updates were the newest version of Windows 10 and a Synaptics Driver. (I just use the Lenovo Companion and install whatever Lenovo suggests.) So maybe Windows did this? I've now done a workaround by disabling the michrophone in the Device Manager section.

rsdmems
Punch Card
Views: 725
Message 4 of 7

Again, I guess it's not a BIOS update causing this, because the one I have is several months old:

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N1KET30W (1.17 ), 2/10/2017

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 678
Message 5 of 7

I've had positive results with the following steps:

First solution - see if reboot fixes it. Restart completely not fast boot.

Second solution - install Realtek audio drivers again.

Most of my audio issues - mic mute on keyboard not working, headset not working have been resolved using one of the above.

They typically have happened after a Win-10 update. So do not know what is causing this.

Hope this works for you,

rsdmems
Punch Card
Views: 675
Message 6 of 7

Yes, I think it was a Windows (not BIOS) update that did it. I dealt with it at the time by diabling it in the control panel, but having subsequently rebooted the computer many times I decided to re-enable it and see if the "on-off" button now works, and it does!  I'm not sure if I hadn't done a reboot when I first noticed the problem or if a subsequent update fixed it, but now it's okay... Thanks.

As an aside, although the computer has always worked fine it would often fail a random pattern RAM test. So I just opened the back, unsnapped both RAM modules (16 + 16) and snapped them back in, and it just passed two tests in a row. To the eye they looked fine when I opened it, but maybe something there was slightly off.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 664
Message 7 of 7

Glad that reboot worked.

If that hadn't, reinstalling audio drivers could also be tried.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors