05-18-2017 03:55 AM
When I push the mute button nothing happens (the little light doesn't turn on) and when I go into "Control Panel"/"Hardware and Sound" and click on "Lenovo - Microphone Mute" I get a message that says "Error - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Any suggestions? Thanks.
05-18-2017 10:12 AM
What BIOS did you update to?
What BIOS did you have on your system previously?
Try flashing back down to an earlier BIOS release to see if that fixes the problem.
05-18-2017 11:16 AM
I just checked my update history and it may not have been a BIOS update that did it. (I also have a P70 and that BIOS was just updated and I may have confused the two.) The recent P50S updates were the newest version of Windows 10 and a Synaptics Driver. (I just use the Lenovo Companion and install whatever Lenovo suggests.) So maybe Windows did this? I've now done a workaround by disabling the michrophone in the Device Manager section.
05-18-2017 11:19 AM
Again, I guess it's not a BIOS update causing this, because the one I have is several months old:
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N1KET30W (1.17 ), 2/10/2017
06-03-2017 03:37 AM
I've had positive results with the following steps:
First solution - see if reboot fixes it. Restart completely not fast boot.
Second solution - install Realtek audio drivers again.
Most of my audio issues - mic mute on keyboard not working, headset not working have been resolved using one of the above.
They typically have happened after a Win-10 update. So do not know what is causing this.
Hope this works for you,
06-03-2017 06:55 AM
Yes, I think it was a Windows (not BIOS) update that did it. I dealt with it at the time by diabling it in the control panel, but having subsequently rebooted the computer many times I decided to re-enable it and see if the "on-off" button now works, and it does! I'm not sure if I hadn't done a reboot when I first noticed the problem or if a subsequent update fixed it, but now it's okay... Thanks.
As an aside, although the computer has always worked fine it would often fail a random pattern RAM test. So I just opened the back, unsnapped both RAM modules (16 + 16) and snapped them back in, and it just passed two tests in a row. To the eye they looked fine when I opened it, but maybe something there was slightly off.