Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
walterk
Punch Card
Views: 694
Message 1 of 6

P51 Cloning Questions

Hi, my new p51 will be delivered later today, it’s fitted with the Intel Xeon E3-1505M processor and 16 Gb ram, I chose to go with the 1tb 5400rpm hdd.   Since I placed the order I’ve purchased a Samsung 960 pro M.2 SSD (512GB) and the appropriate Lenovo M.2 SSD tray, after initial startup to be sure it runs, I plan on installing the drive and clone the OS to it using Macrium Reflect.  I’m wondering if anybody here cloned using this drive and that software who can add any advice based on their experience.  I’ve swapped drives out in the past, but never cloned before.  I guess my first question is do I need to format the new ssd, or does that come with the clone?  Other than adjusting the boot order in the bios, any other changes I need to make I’m not familiar with?  I’ll be running Windows 10 Pro.  Thanks much in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 673
Message 2 of 6

Re: P51 Cloning Questions

Rather than screwing around with cloning I suggest making a USB recovery key from Lenovo's site and doing a fresh install after swapping drives.  You can test your machine first, then make the recovery key.  Then pull out your spinning drive and install the SSD.  Boot from the recovery key.

https://support.lenovo.com/mo/en/solutions/ht103653?LinkTrack=Solr

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
walterk
Punch Card
Views: 659
Message 3 of 6

Thanks richk, sounds easier than cloning ;-).  One further question... How large a thumb drive,  I might have to go out and get one.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 650
Message 4 of 6

I am not sure how big a P51 image would be.  I recently made one for a T460 and it was under 5GB, so I would expect an 8GB drive is big enough.  I have been buying 16GB drives because they aren't much more expensive and everything keeps getting bigger.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 645
Message 5 of 6

In passing, really nothing could be easier than using Macrium Reflect (MR) to clone all of your partitions from the 1TB HDD spinner over to the 512GB 960 Pro.  MR will allow you to re-size the DESTINATION partitions as you will need to, since the delivered C-partition on the HDD is most of that 1TB, although only a small part of it is actually "in use" with the rest of it just "available".

You will install MR on your existing Win10 (running from the HDD spinner which will appear as SOURCE), and with your 960 Pro installed you launch MR.  You click on the "clone this drive" under your source HDD spinner, and follow the GUI wizard.

You should be able to see that 960 Pro DESTINATION target drive (for the "clone" operation).  All of the existing partitions on the HDD spinner as SOURCE drive will be "checked" (so that all of these partitions would ordinarily be copied to the target 960 Pro DESTINATION drive as-is), and there's a box at the lower-right corner of the windows that says "COPY all checked partitions when I push NEXT".  But since you are going to have to re-size the C partition you will instead drag/drop each source partition one at a time (from left to right on the SOURCE drive) to the target DESTINATION drive using the mouse, and respond to the re-size issue when prompted. and the MR wizard for "clone" is very intuitive and easy-to-follow, including the ability to re-size the target partition(s) as you wish.  Once you've got all the partitions dropped onto DESTINATION (and C re-sized) you just really need to push NEXT and confirm with OK.

The 960 pro should not be pre-partitioned or pre-formatted prior to the cloning.  A "clone" operation is really a COPY, so the DESTINATION partition(s) are exact duplicates of the SOURCE partition(s), whatever their format.  You want the target drive to be completely unallocated and available for physical use, just the way it came out of the package.

You're going to run that "clone" operation using MR running under the existing Win10 from the HDD spinner.  It will take perhaps 10-15 minutes.

And when you're done, and you've re-booted to the BIOS to change the boot sequence so that NVMe0 is after USB HDD and Boot Manager has been excluded, and then booted to Windows running from the 960 and you've verified that's where C is, you can then re-purpose the HDD spinner for a second "data" drive.  I'd recommend you use Minitool Partition Wizard to delete all the partitions from the HDD spinner and then allocate one (or more) NTFS "data" partition(s) on it for general use (and/or for ongoing regular "system image" backups using MR, for example).

walterk
Punch Card
Views: 595
Message 6 of 6

DSperber, Thank you for the detailed walk-through of cloning and setting the bios, also for the recommendation to the Minitool Partition Wizard, I had been planning to turn the HDD  spinner for storage.  I was thinking of just going with a new install, but had forgotten that I paid extra to have MS Word installed.  I don’t want to go through the hassle of re-installing that, so I’ll be following your guide later today. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors