Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jack_Z
Paper Tape
Views: 1,842
Message 1 of 6

P51 EM7455 no service (no signal)

The EM7455 on my P51 failed to work recenlty, it shows the carrier with a no signal icon and "no service" text, not sure if it's caused by a driver update or something else. I tried the driver from sierra or older version from lenovo, but none of them works. 

On the setup popup, the progress bar stops at 37% and failed with error code 81. I tried run firmware update downloaded from sierra but it also throws a "fail to reset (error code 81)".

I also tried the registry editor to disable firmware update, after that the setup popup won't show but it still has no service.

Anyone knows the solution for this problem? Is my EM7455 broken?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,830
Message 2 of 6

Re: P51 EM7455 no service (no signal)

Welcome to the Community

What setup routine do you mean exactly?

To troubleshoot:
- remove all wwan drivers instances, Sierra's including. Win10 is capable to work with em7455 using its built-in wwan drivers
- do not use the drivers from Sierra's site, they are useless for Lenovo branded wwan modem
- once the drivers are removed power off the laptop completely as I don't know how did you insert the SIM card - whether the laptop was powered off or on. Reinsert the SIM card again, boot the laptop, win10 should install its wwan drivers
- open Device Manager. There should be em7455 entry in the Network Adapters category w/out errors and yellow marks
- open command prompt window. Execute the following strings, one by one:
netsh mbn sh int
netsh mbn sh cap int=*
Copy the outputs and past here (remove the Hardware ID value for your privacy)

p.s.Make sure your SIM card is activated by cellular operator, broadband service is enabled.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Highlighted
Jack_Z
Paper Tape
Views: 1,805
Message 3 of 6

Here are the outputs

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name               : Cellular
    Description        : Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter
    GUID               : {86260F4B-9CF1-4952-8211-B482FF4805A1}
    Physical Address   : 
    State              : Not connected
    Device type        : This is a remote device
    Cellular class     : GSM
    Device Id          : 
    Manufacturer       : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
    Model              : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm
    Firmware Version   : SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00
    Provider Name      :
    Roaming            : Not roaming
    Signal             : 0%
    RSSI / RSCP        : 0 (-113 dBm)

Device capability information for interface Cellular:
-------------------------------------------------------
    Device type                  : This is a remote device
    Cellular class               : GSM
    Voice class                  : No voice
    Sim class                    : SIM is removable
    Data class                   : UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
    GSM band class               : Unknown
    SMS capability               : PDU receive, PDU send
    Control capability           : Manual network selection is allowed
                                   USSD support available
    Device Id                    : 
    Manufacturer                 : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
    Model                        : Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm
    Firmware Information         : SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00
    Maximum activation contexts  : 8

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,803
Message 4 of 6

Firstly, the modem firmware is very-very old. It has to be updated to work with recent win10 versions (updates)

As you didn't answer for the question about setup process with error, I assume that was a fw update attempt in the auto mode, without success. There is a request above about em7455 entries in Device Manager. Without answer either.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Jack_Z
Paper Tape
Views: 1,799
Message 5 of 6

The setup popup I mentioned always show on the left bottom corner when the laptop starts, or awakes. I am not sure what I does.

Yes, in device manager, em7455 doesn't have red/yellow mark.

What should I do to upgrade the firmware?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,786
Message 6 of 6

> I am not sure what I does.

as I can't reproduse this behavior and don't understand clearly, I'll not guess. My opinion is above.

> Yes, in device manager, em7455 doesn't have red/yellow mark.

OK. Does it look as a regular em7455 device in Network Adapters category, not an entry with QDLoader in the title, somewhere in DM?

> What should I do to upgrade the firmware?

Firstly, install the em7455 drivers from Lenovo site with the SIM card inserted and allow the Sierra' flash service to update the firmware in auto mode. Before installation will start, open Device Manager (Network Adapters category) and watch - if the fw update process will start, em7455 entry disappear, QDLoader appear instead. Once the update process finished (with or without success), em7455 entry appear again.

In anyway, wait up to 10 minuts after the drivers installation is finished as the fw flashing and modem resetting process is prolonged enough.

BTW, what's the name of your cellular operator?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors