Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jklop0712
Paper Tape
Views: 105
Message 1 of 4

P51 Killing HDDs

I have been trying add a secondary HDD to my ThinkPad P51 for a couple months now for backup purposes. My main drive is a 512GB SSD that came in the system. Since my computer did not ship with the HDD I had to buy the 4XB0L63274 kit so I could mount and connect the new drive. I did this and bought a 2TB Seagate FireCuda drive. This drive worked fine for a couple fo days till my computer started to fail too boot. (Note, the SSD was the boot drive.) After a couple days of this happening sporadically my computer completely failed too boot rather then it happening just sporadically and would hang up on the BIOS screen. 

Since I had depot warranty I brought it into the depot near where I go to college and had them look at it. Turns out the HDD I installed had failed causing it to hang up on the BIOS screen. Since the HDD was not in the computer when I bought it the service was not considered under warranty and I had to pay out of pocket. I understand that since my added HDD would not fall under the scope of what Lenovo's warranty would cover since it came from a third party.

I pursued a warranty claim with Seagate. To do this I need to once again pay out of pocket to return them the drive. I received a new drive free of charge less the shipping expense to Seagate. I installed this drive and it failed within a day of installation. I haven't returned the second drive even though I still have 4.5 years of warranty remaining.

I left it for a while because I got busy. Today I decided to try again. This time however, I went out and bought a WD Blue 2TB. Would have bought the WD Black but their 2TB WD Black model is 9.5mm thick, not 7mm so wouldn't fit. I installed it and I got about an hour of use out of it before it also failed. 

This leads me to believe that my THinkPad is killing the drives. When I install the drive, I remove the power cable and battery. After this I hold the power button for 30secs to make sure all power is drained from the system. FInally I proceed in installing the drive before attempting to boot up the system. This is definitely not my first attempt at adding a drive to a system. My dad is an IT so I basically grew up building and reconfiguring computers. I bought this computer to get me through my final year of mechanical engineering school and spending a couple hundred dollars to date on trying to add a drive I can't use hurts me as a student.

jklop0712
Paper Tape
Views: 100
Message 2 of 4

Re: P51 Killing HDDs

Something I forgot to mention. I do own the tools to connect to these drives through a USB connection and I can verify they are also dead and inaccessible when trying to connect that route.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 74
Message 3 of 4

I have never heard of SATA drives being ruined as you describe.  At first, I thought it would be impossible, but I can imagine the voltage to the drive being wrong, either due to a bad power circuit or a defective cable.  As I said, I have never heard this happening.  As you bought it without the drives installed, I'm not sure whether Lenovo will check it out

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jklop0712
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 4 of 4

That's what I was thinking could be possible as well. If I could prove that it was the power distribution to the drive or the cable somehow I think it would become Lenovo's problem because those are components they make so they should fall within their warranty and considered as a manufacturing defect. Having 3 drives from 2 different respectable brands fail back to back doesn't sound like a manufacturing defect on the drive manufacturers side.

Problem is that I can't think of anyway of doing this other then going to a service depot with a new drive and convincing them to hear me out on it and having another new drive fail there, probably at my expense. As I said before though, I'm a student so this is starting to cost me way more them I can afford to have paid for a secondary drive. Doing this would probably cost me another $100-$200 on what has already cost me a couple hundred dollars however it isn't right that something simple like this upgrade is costing me hundreds of dollars. I've got depot warranty till mid 2021 so I guess I have time to try to get this resolved.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors