cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nerdlord20
Paper Tape
Views: 407
Message 1 of 2

P51 Windows 10 - Black Screen on Boot, Boot Drive Fails Diagnostics Check?

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange issue with my system (P51, WIndows 10, M.2 Boot Drive, BIOS ver 1.46). 

My system had been up for the entire week and had been working fine.  Last night I shut it down normally and it powered off, no updates or anything as far as I could tell.  I came in this morning and now it shows the Lenovo splash screen and then shows a black screen while the disk light stays on permanently.  This happens every time.

I ran the Lenovo EFI diagnostics on my secondary drive (drive D, hard drive), motherboard, and memory.  All of these tests pass.  When I try to run diagnostics on my boot drive, it fails instantly.  Is this a BIOS issue?  Did my M.2 boot drive actually fail?  It is from the factory and this system is just over 1 year old.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

nerdlord20
Paper Tape
Views: 404
Message 2 of 2

Re: P51 Windows 10 - Black Screen on Boot, Boot Drive Fails Diagnostics Check?

Alright,  I definitely think this is some strange BIOS magiks.  After exiting the EFI tools and letting the system reboot that way, it boots fine.  Several subsequent power cycles have gone normally.

Note that before, manually powering down at the black screen did nothing, the system just booted back to the black screen.  It seems that simply opening the EFI tools menu and then rebooting clears this issue.  I have noticed this same phenomena when performing BIOS updates in the past.  In that scenario, the modern BSOD would appear instead of the black screen and the system would manually reboot after approximately 2-3 minutes.  The only fix was the same: open the EFI tools menu, then exit and let the system reboot.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Does anyone have a suggestion for this?  My system is working again, but this kind of thing should not be happening...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors