cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,081
Message 1 of 15

P51 external monitors issues - mini displayport not recognized, only one on docking station

Having received a brand-new P51 directly from Lenovo, i am facing major issues attaching external monitors.

Win10 image from factory, all windows updates, all driver updates as recommended by Lenovo companion. Manually reinstalled graphics drivers, driver update using windows does not detect newer ones. Latest BIOS (1.15). Upon suggestion of lenovo changed BIOS mode from hyprid to discrete.

I have these two issues from day 1:
When i attach a monitor using the right hand side mini displayport, it is not recognized. Monitor stays in stand-by, no sound played, nothing happens. Inserting the same cable into the port of a W540 (Win 8.1) monitor immediately wakes up and can be used up to its full resolution (3440x1440).

inserting laptop into ultradock (230W) it only recognizes one attached monitor. BIOS password entry lock was not shown on external monitor when lid was closed, needed to enter "blind" and press enter, only upon windows boot the monitor (Lenovo 27") was recognized. i think after changing to discrete mode now it showed the lock symbol when starting with closed lid. but still no second monitor is recognized.

This is the first thinkpad in my history where such basic things do not work at all.

I noticed once i had Intel and Nvidia context menu items when presing right mouse botton on desktop screen, now i only have "Nvidia Control Panel" and "nView Desktop Manager" shown. Which may or may not be ok.

Lenovo seems not to be able to help - they are quite anxious to get it solved, already exchanged once the motherboard and offered a second replace, but i did not do that a second time since i have the feeling i could repeat that several times without a better result.

Does anyone have a clue what may cause this, where to look or what to change - or is it really about replacing the motherboard repetitive until it works?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 10,030
Message 2 of 15

Re: P51 external monitors issues - mini displayport not recognized, only one on docking station

Dear customer,

as for boot display settings of P51, I'd like you to refer to the "Boot Display Device" section (P.87) in the P51 User Guide. To utilize the external monitor connected to the Dock, I'd like customer to select "Display on dock" as Boot Display Device .

Additionally, when external monitor may not be detected with above settings, I'd like customer to try using "Boot Time Extention" setting to adjust the timing.

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,012
Message 3 of 15

Re: P51 external monitors issues - mini displayport not recognized, only one on docking station

It looks as if the boot issue has been solved by setting the graphics mode in BIOS to "discrete". Today as a second-in-row i got presented the lock on the attached monitor of the docking station.

The monitor for the mini displayport is at home, can check if increasing the detection time changes something but i thought this is bootup only - i played with that already regarding the boot screen but that time it seemed it did not changes omething so i set it back to default value.

So is the detection of a new monitor attached on an UP AND RUNNING system really controlled by that parameter? All thinkpads i owned so far reacted on that immediately - they may or may not have that BIOS switch but it really would surprise me...

I still suspect a driver issue - what would be the expected menu for the screen settings?

settings.png

As mentioned, once i had an "Intel Graphics" item as well, attached menu this is the current content i have.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 10,010
Message 4 of 15

Dear customer,

as you commented, the provided settings (Boot Display Device and Boot Time extention) are usable for Pre-OS Boot environment ( such as BIOS Setup or Bitlocker PIN prompt), those settings are not used any Windows runtime environment.  The reason why user needs to use Discrete graphics as Boot Display Device for external monitor is ThinkPad P51/P71 is designed only nVIDIA Graphics connected to external mDP/HDMI ports. 

So, if you boot with Discrete graphics, Intel Graphics never used so that you cannot find any Intel Gfx device properties.

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,007
Message 5 of 15

Ok thanks for clarifying so that part works as expected - obviously this menu is ok by definition.

But the main question still is, what prevents the monitors from being detected and how to fix it that so that i can make use of multiple monitors on my system? Is it a hardware or software issue?

In docking station:
Only one external monitor is detected (this is the one connected by display port cable, hdmi connected second monitor is not being detected)

Standalone:
Mini DisplayPort connection does not detect when a monitor is connected.

Highlighted
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 9,979
Message 6 of 15

Dear customer,

1. Can I know the nVIDIA Graphics driver version that you are using on P51?

2. Can I know which graphics port on your workstation dock do you connect 1st and 2nd monitors respectively?

3. External monitor vendor / model information except Lenovo 27"

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,964
Message 7 of 15

nVidia driver in device manager shows as 22.21.13.8299
driver-details.png

according to lenovo support page it should be the current one.

i'm traveling today so i cannot tell which ports is used on the dock, just know one is connected using display port, the other using hdmi. will check tomorrow about this and let you know. The other monitor is an EIZO touch screen 1920x1080 will give you the model tomorrow - but frankly since i was using exactly the same config on the W540 i do not suspect any issues here...

the monitor i want to attach by mini displayport is a LG 34UM95 - also as written usable without any issue from the W540.

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,929
Message 8 of 15

on the dock, i use
- on exit 1 the lenovo 27" via DSP cable,
- on exit 2 an eizo T2381W via DVI cable

after returning to the office today behavoiur changed slightly - monitor 2 shows signs of life (this time i woke it up from hibernation mode, not a full reboot).

so i have now a picture on second screen also which is one little step into the right direction. probably some internal updates.

the eizo it is detected as the true manufacturers model, but offers me resolutions up to 1280x1024 only (although its a full hd touch). Strange since its really showing the true model in the nvidia settings also. but maybe its because it is detected today the first time...additionally it shows its connected by "display port" which is not true since its connected by DVI cable, but that may be a bug when using the docking station?)

eizo.png

will reboot in the evening and check if it changes. windows + lenovo update (this app seems to have changed now from "lenovo companion" to "lenovo vantage") plus device manager do not detect any required updates or hardware changes.

mini display port still cannot use the LG monitor but will recheck at home since i do not know when the update to "lenovo vantage" happened exactly, maybe that brought some internal updates changing the game. this is not nice since i like it to be in control of the situation and know what happens and changes WHY...

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,902
Message 9 of 15

new update - its getting REALLY strange now...

i bought a new DSP cable and use it to replace the DVI cable to connect the EIZO. And - it shows 1920x1080 resolution immediately!!! This is NOT a monitor issue since i have used the same setup with my W540 and docking station for years (connection via dock + dvi). The monitor can show full resolution using either DVI or DSP - but just using a DVI cable instead of a DSP connection on the docking station on the P51 changes behaviour and capabilites like resolution. This seems not to be right...

so I when using an HDMI cable to connect the LG at home (not mini displayport but HDMI on the back of the laptop) it  works with full resolution. This is not too convenient since i sometimes use a mac and therefore had my thunderbolt cable as the only one needed but at least i can work.

the mini displayport still does not work but now just for curiosity i will get a converter to connect some HD monitor to it to see if it works then at least with SOME resolution.

to me as a "normal" user it looks that the whole implementation of connections on the P51 is quite "picky" - this is the very first time that i needed to juggle around with specific cables for the same monitor (like the DVI/DSP issue) to get my expected result.

i would be courious to know if this is also "intended by design" - as the recommendation to use discrete graphics only and by that drain the battery earlier only because of having attached an external monitor at all - which is also quite strange.

I don't think so becase then the documentations would say something about this. It implieas it's just connectiong what you want and use...

so currently i have a workaround for all my scenarios now but on a machine with that price tag this is not what i would have expected. most annoying is that no one at lenovo seems to be familiar with such details which costs me many time and testing to have a satisfying workaround at least. They are more than helpful to get a technichian on the next day to my office to replace my motherboard several times - which i refused now and which now turns out would never solve my issues - but i think on the supporting side they could do much better...

catlover
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,842
Message 10 of 15

i changed back the BIOS setting from discrete to hybrid since my original problem was not solved by using discrete mode and i do not see sense in switching off a graphics card when its available.

when i start from docking station (with closed lid as i think is normal) i enter the hardware password "blind" once the red dot is lighted after switching on. this works for booting process.

when in hibernation mode (i hibernated in standalone) and i restart it, i also enter the hardware password "blind" - i hear the active windows processes in the background starting up (e.g. new skype message coming in) but the two monitors stay black. opening the lid, the internal display stays black as well. after a while, i can see the mouse pointer on the HDMI display (my screen 2 in windows poperties) and can move it around on that black screen - but nothing else.

when i release the computer out from the docking station while its running in this mode, the windows login screen is shown immediately on the internal display. inserting it then back again, the two monitors start working as intended. then i can close the lid and work as normal with the two screend.

but this can't be it, right?

is there anybody out there with a "normally" working P51 where we could compare the drivers and setup?

i did not even care about the mini displayport for the time being and hope for a future update regarding this  - i am quite sure this is just not properly supported yet by the drivers...

will keep this thread updated - maybe it helps someone else and avoid wasting time with such elemementary things...

but maybe someone at lenovo could take some time to connect a P51 as described to confirm that the platform specifications of the P51 are correct?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors