cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wxray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 1 of 4

P51 fails to update Windows 10 Update 1903 due to Intel driver RST incompatiblity

I have a P51 20HH and it refuses to update to Windows 10 1903 due to a complaint of an old version of the Intel RST driver.  I tried following all the instructions to update the driver at both the Intel site, and the official RST driver here on the Lenovo site for P51 downloads.  None actually did anything.  They appeared to work, but actually didn't do anything because the driver update software didn't see any hardware to update.  I turned on debug output on the driver update script and it basically said nothing was applied since there was nothing to do.

In my case with the P51 20HH, the driver files are all there but there is zero evidence (Device Manger, etc) that any of them are in use.  I don't have Optane, RAID, etc.  Microsoft update sees the driver as an old version so it won't do the Windows update.  Meanwhile, the Intel driver install packages don't see the driver as usable, so it won't apply the update!  It is a lock out. 

So, my solution for the P51 20HH was to rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\iaStorA.sys to something else.   Proceed with caution with this solution, because if your machine is really using RST, this could cause your storage to become inaccessable, which might put you in a bad boot loop and require a BIOS boot to recovery media. 

You should absolutely verify that Device Manager (Storage controllers) does not list anything Intel.  Renaming the driver requires admin priv done from the cmd shell.  If the these steps don't make sense to you, then don't try this, it is too dangerous for your skill level.

But for the power users out there, I wanted to let you know what worked for me.  I found this after a lot of frustration and indications on other threads from other Lenovo laptop types that it worked for them.

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 448
Message 2 of 4

Re: P51 fails to update Windows 10 Update 1903 due to Intel driver RST incompatiblity

You can go here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

And install the latest RST software.

I have an OLD W700 RAID1 and it updated to 1903 with the above drivers installed.

YMMV.

wxray
Fanfold Paper
Views: 431
Message 3 of 4

Re: P51 fails to update Windows 10 Update 1903 due to Intel driver RST incompatiblity

schmidtj: sadly, those drivers did not install as explained in my post.  My mileage varied. 

StnMtnMan
What's DOS?
Views: 371
Message 4 of 4

Mee too. (Yoga C930)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors