Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 2,268
Message 1 of 11

P51 hangs on Lenovo logo upon Windows 10 reboot

Hello everyone,

Similar topics have been raised in this forum but I could not find an explanation and fix to my issue, so here it goes :

I just received my brand new P51 and noticed that when I select Windows 10 reboot, the laptop hangs when the Lenovo logo displays (displaying the "press enter..." message), powering off and rebooting being the only option. Shutting down the laptop and rebooting from power off works fine though.

I tried several scenarios, including updating the BIOS to the latest version (1.17), pressing PF12 to change the boot order, etc and I finally figured out a way to make the reboot work : assigning the NVMe SSD containcng the W10 partition as the first line in the boot order, moving Windows Boot Manager that was intially #1 to #2 in the list. 

I have no clue why that makes a difference ? Also, I may be wrong but it seems like the boot takes a little longer now. 

Anyway, I can live with that now, but I would really like to understand what is happening. In particular as I plan to add a second SSD for Linux and want to eventually be able to select Linux vs W10 at boot time. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback (thats my first post in this forum). 
cheers, Philippe

Jana79
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,240
Message 2 of 11

Re: P51 hangs on Lenovo logo upon Windows 10 reboot

Same here! My brandnew P51 freezes at the initial Lenovo-Logo and doesn't boot, when I do Windows 10 restarts. Do you use ThinkPad 230W Workstation Dock or Thunderbolt devices?

PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 2,236
Message 3 of 11

nope ! my P51 is stand alone. no change BTW between AC or battery power.

MikeRoark
Paper Tape
Views: 2,161
Message 4 of 11

I am getting this too after doing the latest BIOS upgrade.  Brand new unit, works fine, do auto-BIOS update after initial WIndows setup, and reboot, hangs on Lenovo Flash screen.  Power off and back on and can login.  But everytime I reboot, it locks up tight.  Please help Lenovo

I have tried changing the boot order, restoring to BIOS defaults. No dice.

P.S. Bios Version N1UET39W (1.13)

planetjumper
Punch Card
Views: 2,124
Message 5 of 11

As far as I see the latest Bios version (1.17) was withdrawn - anyone know why? - did you try 1.16 again?

Guru
Views: 2,103
Message 6 of 11

Was this after a bios update?  Read this:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/ps500151

Specifically:

bios.JPG

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

PhilippeElie
Punch Card
Views: 2,066
Message 7 of 11

not sure if there is a 100% correlation, but I have reset the BIOS setting to the factory defaults (PF9 I beleive) and now rebooting works fine even with the WIndows Manager at the top of the boot list. Not sure if that will last but probably worth a try if you guys did not do that already. I have been using my P51 now since 3-4 days and it’s still OK, so I assume this problem is gone?... I don’t like to see a problem disappearing with no real explanation to be honest..... 

MikeRoark
Paper Tape
Views: 2,042
Message 8 of 11

Nope not gone, I have reset the BIOS and still ahve the same issue everytime Windows does a reboot.

tjobbes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,867
Message 9 of 11

Hi, 

I have this on sevral machines right now.

Had it on 2 L570  (sent in to Lenovo) and now on 3 T470s on my bench (se picture).

len.JPG

It started with the L570 and Lenovo stated that it was problem with harddrives, they sent new ones that i changed.

Same problem after so they wanted the machines to be sent in.

Now a couple of days after a customer wanted a T470s and got the same error.

Got 2 other machines from our warehouse to see if i could reproduce when the problem started.

Its onsite repair on one machine and tomorrow they plan to change mobo.

I dont think that will solve the problem.

I think the problem started after i installed Windows 10 Fall Creators update. Dont know how&why the Lenovo bios and windows 10 dont get it togheter. Read some older threads that it has been a problem before and they recommended to disable stuff in bios, fast boot and more but have not found anything to work for me.

Now that this is the wrong subforum but i think its not modelspecific so i just wanted you guys to now.

I will post my findings.

/TR

tjobbes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,429
Message 10 of 11

*Update*

Now its working on all machines.

Found that it helped to inactivate "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller -1.0" in device manager.

usb.PNG

After that there were no boot-hangs.

Now 2weeks later its seems like it was solved by System Update.

Don't know exactly which driver it was thought.

/TR

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors