Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sailadayaway
Paper Tape
Views: 1,033
Message 1 of 6

P51 not booting - power light and fans on

I was working on my ThinkPad yesterday and stepped away for 15 minutes.  When I came back I could not wake it from sleep.  Did a hard reset.  Screen would not turn on and every light - power, num lock, cap lock, "i" light on case, and the keyboard backlight were all flashing at a slow pace, on for ~1-2 seconds, off for ~1-2 seconds, and it would continue flashing indefinitely.  Longest I let it sit was around 5 minutes.  

What I've done so far:

Pulled internal battery for 20 min - now the lights don't flash, all lights turn on briefly, then everything but the power button and "i" light turn off.  Those two lights stay on indefinitely.  Fans are on.

Pulled SSD and tried booting without it - same symptom

Swapped RAM cards, tried one at a time, tried different DIMM slots - same symptom

Left battery out overnight - same symptom

Re-pulled internal battery this morning for 20 min - same symptom, although this time I noticed all the lights turned on, then off, then on again, then only the power and "i" stayed on.  All subesequent boot attempts go back to lights coming on briefly and then those two staying on, it only flashed the first boot attempt immediately after BIOS was reset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  As usual the timing on this is awful, I have a 15 page research paper I'm working on, plus another 2 projects that I need software on this laptop to use...  I'm hoping I don't have to send it back under warranty, but I'm getting more and more discouraged as the day goes on...

Thanks!

nerdlord20
Paper Tape
Views: 949
Message 2 of 6

Re: P51 not booting - power light and fans on

I have this same exact issue.  My system (P51, Windows 10) has been up for a few days and I shut it down about 6 hours ago.  I just tried to start it up and I get the Lenovo splash screen followed by a black screen and the drive busy light solid on. 

Using the EFI diagnostic tools I found that my hard drive (drive D) passes all tests but my boot M.2 drive (drive C, factory from Lenovo) fails immediately.  My BIOS version is 1.46.

I do not understand how this could happen when the system was just working!  Very strange...

What BIOS version do you have?

sailadayaway
Paper Tape
Views: 945
Message 3 of 6

I wasn't even getting the Lenovo splash screen - just completely dead. It's on its way back from the depot for a new system board, I can let you know what version BIOS it's running when I get it back, but sounds like you're looking at a different issue! 

nerdlord20
Paper Tape
Views: 943
Message 4 of 6

Thanks, and good luck with that!  Guess I will start a thread.

sailadayaway
Paper Tape
Views: 941
Message 5 of 6

If your boot drive is failing, get on live chat and they'll send you a restore image on a USB stick. You'll have it in a couple days. Even if it doesn't work it's a good thing to have! 

nerdlord20
Paper Tape
Views: 929
Message 6 of 6

Good to know!  I sort of fixed my issue, but I hope someone adds to the discussion because this is very odd behavior.  Thread here.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors