Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichK_99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,312
Message 1 of 5

P51 problems cloning 500GB HDD to Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe

I'm looking for advice on the best procedure for cloning the 500GB HDD supplied with the P51 to a Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 MVMe drive.

I can see and work with the m.2 drive in Windows 10 and I can see the drive on NVMe0 in the BIOS

Using Acronis True Image 2015, I can see the drive to select it as a destination for the cloning operation, but when it switches to its own bootable program to execute the cloning procedure, it cannot see the m.2 drive and fails.

If I boot directly from the Acronis disk, it states there is only one drive in the system and cannot proceed. 

Has anyone succeeded with this particular machine and scenario? I might upgrade my software if I knew it would recognize an NVMe drive or peraps someone else's cloning software would be better. 

I'm open to suggestions.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,307
Message 2 of 5

Re: P51 problems cloning 500GB HDD to Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe

Hello and welcome,

IIRC TIH 2015 didn't support NVMe drives.  This Acronis article seems to indicate that full support didn't show up until a 2016 update:

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/blog/posts/you-spoke-we-listened-acronis-true-image-2016-update-2-here

I just now did a quick test using TIH 2017 bootable media on my whitebox desktop. It can see both of my m.2 SSDs:  850 EVO (SATA) and 960 PRO (NVMe).

[correction] 830 -> 850, 960 EVO -> 960 PRO.  Must be a keyboard problem Smiley Wink

YMMV,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

RichK_99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,295
Message 3 of 5

Thanks! I'll upgrade and give it a try. Apparently Acronis did not seem to see it as important to announce support for these new types on the product descriptions. It's good to know that they now do offer support. Thanks for your quick reply!

8/11 - [update] I upgraded my Acronis backup software to version 2017 and the entire cloning process was a easy as it could be. It made an exact copy of the entire drive, including the recovery and system partitions. Thanks for the great help!

(System now boots in 6 seconds on the NVMe drive :-))

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,225
Message 4 of 5

I had no problem with my P70 cloning Win7 from the Lenovo-provided HDD spinner over to the self-installed Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe drive, using Macrium Reflect once the Samsung NVMe Controller Driver was installed into Win7 (which didn't include native support for NVMe as Win10 does).

Then installing Macrium Reflect into that Win7 which now has the ability to see the NVMe target drive, the cloning function of Macrium Reflect also now has the ability to see the NVMe target drive for the cloning.  The cloning via Macrium Reflect can run under the booted Win7 system (still running from the HDD), simply by launching the program and using the "clone" function specifying the HDD spinner as "source" and NVMe M.2 drive as "target".  No need to boot to any standalone Macrium Reflect bootable media (although that method is also supported, not only for "clone" but also for "restore" of system images, etc.).

Once the cloning was completed while still booted to Win7 running from HDD spinner, I then re-booted, got into the BIOS to change the boot drive sequence to point to the M.2 NVMe drive (while also deleting the HDD spinner from that list, since I was about to re-purpose the HDD spinner as a "data" drive), and saved/restarted.

Voila.  The system booted from the now cloned "system reserved" partition now located on the NVMe drive, which then invoked Boot Manager to complete the boot process using the now cloned "Win7 on C, located on NVMe".  In other words it worked perfectly.

This same process could have been applied had Win10 been the original OS on the Lenovo-provided HDD spinner, except that MS Express NVMe driver would already have been installed into Win10.  But I still would have again first installed the Samsung NVMe Controller driver to provide full support to the Samsung 960 Pro drive before performing the install of Macrium Reflect, and then performing the "clone" of the running Win10 environment partitions over from HDD spinner to the NVMe drive... again, while Win10 is running.  You don't need to boot standalone at all to perform this "clone".

NOTE: Macrium Reflect DOES also provide the ability to create standalone WinPE bootable "recovery media" (either to CD/DVD or to USB), which allows you to optionally boot to this media and then run Macrium Reflect from this standalone WinPE environment, rather than from either Win7 or Win10 itself.  At the time this bootable media is created any additional needed drivers for your machine's hardware (e.g. the Samsung NVMe Controller driver) not already contained in the WinPE kernel version you've selected is copied from the Windows Driver Repository folder into the WinPE environment being created.  So if/when you ever do actually boot from this standalone media you will be guaranteed to have a fully operating WinPE environment that can access 100% of your machine's hardware.

Many years go I gave Acronis a test drive, and couldn't understand how to use it.  That led me to try Macrium Reflect, which amazed me with its intuitive interface as well as its near-instant response from the vendor when I had questions or problems that needed their assistance to resolve.  I was VERY IMPRESSED with the product and the vendor.

Hence I have been using Macrium Reflect for all of my "system image" backups and "cloning" operations since 2010, and have never had a failure or difficulty.  There is a "free" version which can do most of what I need, but there is no customer support from the vendor for this "free" version.  I show my appreciation for the quality of the product and its ongoing vendor customer and product support by buying paid licenses for the "non-free home edition" at its modest price (and which also includes additional product functionality which I need, and make use of).

RichK_99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,218
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the info. I did resolve the issue, but it's always good to know there are other options out there. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors