03-13-2018

US

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 9

P51 with Dock Video Drivers Crash Since Update to Intel On Board Video

2018-03-13, 1:26 AM

First, my specs. P51 with Xeon processor, 64GB of ram, Win 10 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro M2200 Video, Intel HDGraphics P630 Video, Docking Station. 

I have two external monitors via my docking station, one on the VGA other on the HDMI port. I also have two monitors via Sabrent USB to VGA devices.

While I was out of town last week, Windows delivered an update to the Intel P630 graphics. Got home, put my P51 in the docking station. Bam, video driver keeps crashing, reverting to the basic driver and disabling all my external monitors. 

I finally tracked it to the Intel P630 driver, I can uninstall it and reboot and it works fine for a while, but then after a reboot it crashes again. 

I've tried reinstalling the NVIDIA driver from both their site and the Lenvo support site, no change. I looked for the P630 driver, but couldn't find it on the Lenovo site, at least as an independant download. It may be included in some other download. I did try getting the P630 from the Intel site, but what I downloaded said it wasn't compaitble with my machine. 

Right now it has the same image on the internal monitor and the two monitors hooked to the docking station. Yes, the exact same image on three monitors, which shouldn't be possible under Windows. The two monitors coming in over USB seem to be OK and not have the "same desktop everywhere" issue. 

I actually have two docking stations with external monitors, I have an office upstairs in my house where I do most of my work (the one I just described), and another down in the basement where I record my videos. Both setups have the same issue with the video driver crashing. 

Any suggestions are appreciated, this is basically stopping me from getting any productive work done. 

Options

43 Posts

11-03-2009

US

3603 Signins

8627 Page Views

• Views: 8627
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: P51 with Dock Video Drivers Crash Since Update to Intel On Board Video

2018-03-13, 4:10 AM

My specs. are identical to yours:  P51 with Xeon processor, 64GB of ram, Win 10 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro M2200 Video, Intel HDGraphics P630 Video, and my 230W P/N 40A50230 Workstation Dock. 

I have two external monitors, Dell's at 1920 X 1080 via my docking station.  They are connected to the two large multipronged somewhat rectangular shaped ports on the dock closest to its power, button what ever they are.  I run my system with the laptop display dark, and the two monitors acting as one wide screen with the taskbar only on the left side monitor.  Both displays are stable and run solidly.

I'm not sure knowing all this helps, but I thought I would tell you about this, since someone with your setup will be hard to find.  

FYI when setting my two monitors up with the new P51, a complicated process I don't completely understand with a lot of trial and error changes, one of the unwanted setups had all three monitors on, the laptop, and the two monitors.  That configueration seemed normal but unwanted.

By the end of this week my two new 27" monitors, again both Dell P2715Q Ultra HD 4K's will replace the above.  One will run at 3840 X 2160 and the other daisy chained at some lesser resolution, if I understand the documentation correctly

If I have any enlightened experiences during the setup, I wlll let you know.

Phil.

P51, Ultra Dock, W540 20GBCTO, Ultra Dock, W520, 4270CTO, W510, 4318CTO; (2)T500, 2081CTO; Y560, 064657U, Y530, 405166U; T61p, 6465CTO, A31p, and L2461x Multi-touch Monitor, Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Options

7 Posts

02-14-2018

US

16 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 3 of 9

2018-03-21, 20:03 PM

I have the same system with 32GB RAM.

And running with the 230W workstation dock I fought incessant issues with the laptop and dock sleep/wake-up out of sync and not passing video information to dual HDMI 27" Acer monitors.  I found a work around by setting the laptop to never sleep and only put it to sleep and wake it up via the dock push button.

This worked for a solid month.  I suspect some update (haven't traced it yet) but now when the laptop display goes to sleep it rarely wakes up and passes through the dock.

In fact I've been fighting getting any video out through the dock - when docking - despite changing the setting to never sleep when on AC.  I dock it open - then close the laptop - no video out.  I suspect I have to shut down the laptop - dock it - then boot it up.

Whatever it is EXTREMELY frustrating.  Sleeping, wake-up power up/down should all interact gracefully through Lenovo's OWN docking station - the grand-daddy no less!   ARGH!!!

Mike P

Options

1 Posts

05-03-2017

BR

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 4 of 9

2018-04-17, 1:40 AM
Any solution? Things are getting worst on my pc (by the way same model and same specs as yours). Now some apps that have 3D visualization of objects are not working. Corel Draw is very slow (it works very well on the basic windows driver, and very slow on NVIDIA drivers). I think all this started when I installed drivers from NVIDIA website (not lenovo drivers) because I was trying to solve a problem where the PC was from time to time failing to come back from sleep or suspension
Options

1 Posts

04-22-2018

US

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 5 of 9

2018-04-22, 14:03 PM

Same boat.  And there are 3 of us at work having   issues now, all starting within this past week.  I already had my laptop setup not to sleep for the past few months, but even that is not working as another poster in this thread pointed out.  I already knew that after docking, if I did not log in to Windows right away, my external monitors would go black, laptop monitor would usually go black also and all I would see was a flashing mouse cursor.  I was used to that.  But this past week it got much worse.  Friday I ended up working without the dock, no external monitors.  I did not have a standard HDMI cable to try direct connect from laptop to monitor (removing dock from equation), but I will try that tomorrow.

Someone in my office did a Windows rollback to a few days prior.  I will try that, too.  Then hopefully I can turn off auto Windows updates, but there is probably a Policy on at our work place that won't let me.  I'll check back in if something works!

Options

7 Posts

02-14-2018

US

16 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-04-24, 14:20 PM

After confirmation that all dockstation drivers are the latest.  The working solution is to only use the dockstation wake/sleep button (never the laptop or Windows sleep function).  From my analysis it appears that there is a lack of "sync" or recognition by the Dock that the laptop is going to sleep/hibernate and subsequently gets "out of sync" with the sleep/wakeup and does not re-enable the video path.

When only using the Dock sleep/wake button this works 98% of the time - on rare occasion I need to power cycle the laptop from the docking station - to get everything back "in sync".

To prevent timeout sleep I also changed the Windows setting to never sleep when on AC so that I can control sleep/wake via the dock.

GOOFY - but it is a functioning system.

On a side note - I had a replacement dock shipped out 3 weeks ago, after 5 weeks the original docking station became faulty - it was no longer switching the wired Ethernet port and a couple of the USB ports upon wake-up.

In my estimation - there's a bit of regression testing and driver work to be done in the Docking station so that it correctly captures laptop sleep and waking states and fully re-enables the ports.  I suspect the Dock because monitors connected directly to the laptop (outside the dock) always wake up - although the bottom-mount docking port could be faulty as well - it appears more likely that it's a dock station software issue.

....Sad thing, I purchased a Lenovo docking station to stay "in the family" and avoid this kind of intermittent/inconsistent interaction.

Good luck!

Mike

Options

2 Posts

11-01-2016

DK

5 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 7 of 9

2018-06-26, 7:00 AM

I have a P50 with Intel i7, 16GB ram, Win 10 Enterprise, NVIDIA Quadro M2000M, Intel HD Graphics 530, Dock 40A5.

I have for some time had the problem that my external monitor did not connect when I booted my P50 from my docking station. The solution at that time was to undock and redock the P50 after it was booted - then the external monitor would work fine.

Recently, a Windows Update (I suspect) changed that. After the update, both monitors would flicker for a while until the PC chrashed with blue screen. It would then take a while to collect error information before it re-booted and worked fine. But next morning, the same thing would happen again.

I did find a solution for this: I disabled Windows 10's "Fast startup". It is in Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Power Options: "Choose what the power buttons do". Here, you will need to "Change settings that are currently unavailable" to disable the "Turn on fast startup" setting.

Note: The PC will take slightly longer time to boot when Fast startup is disabled. But with SSD onboard you would hardly notice.

Options

7 Posts

02-14-2018

US

16 Signins

192 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2018-06-26, 17:45 PM

Good input and suggestion - I noted my settings have Fast Boot enabled.

My path took a took a somewhat different route:  the Dock exhibited further failure modes - Dock USB, LAN and Wi-Fi ports intermittently failed to connect to the Laptop as well - resulting in multiple power cycling and reboots.  At the point where multiple boots were required from every wake-up since some or all ports where no longer functional I contacted Lenovo and since I am still under warranty they shipped a replacement Docking station.

From wake-up, (it is critical to use only the Dock button for wake-up - not a direct PC-USB connected mouse or keyboard), the new dock always resumes active-transfer to dock of all ports (two Video, a USB and wired LAN).  Wake-up of signal to Monitors can occasionally take up to 20seconds - but most often in 4-5 seconds.

Due to new intermittent BSOD issues - I have accessed the Lenovo Download site and updated all system drivers.  This appears to have resolved the intermittent BSOD (and auto-reboot) and the dock wake-up has fallen into a more consistent range of 2-4 seconds.

Hope your patch has fully resolved the issue for you.

Options

3 Posts

12-04-2018

US

4 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-03-19, 16:25 PM

I have a similar problem, identical configuration, with the January 2019 drivers installed.  Max mem on P51, dual monitor using dock.  Any update on this?>  I have fast boot disabled but I'm on the October 2018 Win10 update.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save