Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
therealgrassy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,147
Message 1 of 39

P51s Using WWAN Slot for an M.2 SSD

One of the reasons I ended up choosing the P51s over other comperable laptops was its unparalleled expandability in a portable, quite thin package. I can't think of any other laptops, outside of the T470s, that are 15.6" or smaller, allow for more than one internal hard drive, and aren't meant to be teathered to a desk.

I was informed by multiple Lenovo customer represenatives before I bought my laptop that the P51s not only had a 2.5" SATA bay, but also an open WWAN slot that could be used to house an m.2 SATA SSD. I just got around to buying an m.2 SATA SSD for the slot, but my laptop is rejecting it. It won't even boot unless I disable the WWAN slot (from the BIOS) entirely. What gives? I thought I could put an SSD in the slot--that was one of the reasons I bought the laptop!

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,129
Message 2 of 39

Re: P51s Using WWAN Slot for an M.2 SSD

According to the PSREF for the P51s, the M.2 WWAN slot CAN be used for another M.2 SSD.  But it looks like a SATA interface in that socket, not NVMe.

I don't know what type of card you bought, but it's probably NVMe which would not be usable in that socket.  You need to buy a SATA version of M.2 SSD.

It will be slower than the "official" M.2 NVMe drive in the M.2 drive bay, since the SATA interface is max 6Gb/s.  In contrast, the PSREF shows the M.2 NVMe PCIe x2 speed is 16Gb/s.

But you need a SATA M.2 drive, not NVMe M.2.

P51s_storage.jpg

therealgrassy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,123
Message 3 of 39

This is a SATA-spec SSD. I knew that an NVMe SSD would not work in this slot.

This is the EXACT m.2 SSD that is plugged in to my laptop right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-748794-002-XP0064GDZMF-64GB-6G-SATA-2242-MLC-M-2-SSD-ADA-HARD-DRIVE/2021...

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,112
Message 4 of 39

Do you have the card inserted correctly... i.e. right-side up?  Have you tried flipping the card over?

There are two "notches" in the SATA-style connector end, and I believe the card seems like it doesn't matter which way to insert it.  But I believe there is a right way and a wrong way, which is seemingly bad design if the card can actually be pushed into its SATA connector on the motherboard with either face up.

I'm just thinking out loud.

M.2-card_P51s.jpg

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,107
Message 5 of 39

Well, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe the two notches are not symmetric, and the card actually can only be pushed in with the proper orientation. I believe I read where someone had made that mistake with a real M.2 2280 card, having opted for a SATA version instead of NVMe (which only has one notch).

Anyway, I've run out of ideas. I never have worked with the P51s, and trying to use the WWAN SATA M.2 connector for SSD.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

therealgrassy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,097
Message 6 of 39

Unfortunately, this is correct, the notches are not perfectly symmetrical. The card can only be inserted one way, the other way is nearly impossible to do. Thank you for your help though.

Anyone else have a theory as to why my P51s is rejecting the SSD?
SeniorGuru
Views: 6,085
Message 7 of 39

One more thought just came to me...

In the BIOS setup, I believe in the Security tab, I believe there is an "I/O port access" series of settings to enable/disable various hardware components.  One of them is for the "wireless WAN", no doubt enabling or disabling what is really that SATA controller.

Can't hurt to check its current value, as DISABLED might be the default.  If you ENABLE it that might fix your problem.

EDIT:  oops, just re-read your original post.  Seems like you already looked at that and are forced to set it to DISABLED else you can't boot.

So, what about the boot sequence when you have it ENABLED?  In the STARTUP tab, what shows in the boot device list when you do actually ENABLE it?  Your primary drive should be first, or at least in front of the M.2 SATA SSD in the WWAN socket.

Ordinarily, there are extraneous irrelevant items in the boot device list (e.g. "wake on LAN") that can be EXCLUDE'd in your setup.  I wonder if there is a WWAN entry being inserted there, once you ENABLE that device... even though you don't have a WWAN card but rather have this SATA M.2 SSD.

Anyway, I would set USB HDD first, then your primary boot drive second, and exclude everything else.  You don't need to have "Boot Manager" in the active list, but simply point to the primary drive (HDD spinner or SSD) where the Windows partition (and the "EFI System Partition" which is actually where Boot Manager lives) is located.

therealgrassy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,056
Message 8 of 39

Regardless of the boot order, the SSD is NOT detected, so it does not appear in the boot order at all. The same error appears when I change the boot order to make my 2.5" drive the primary boot option. The laptop isn't recognizing the SSD as an SSD, but rather as a bad WWAN card.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,054
Message 9 of 39

I'd recommend to upgrade the m.2 SSD firmware as the drive version on the photo (the link in the 1st post above) seems too old.

The HP support site shows several newer fw versions for this drive - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/result?qt=XP0064GDZMF

The upgrade to the recent version is complicated enough.

So, you need external USB box with connector for m.2 SATA SSD as the HP package installer usually prevents its launching to extract on non HP systems. Or extract the .exe package from the site yourself by 3rd party tool. Or use HP system with m.2 SATA SSD slot if you're able to get it.

Edit: typo

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

therealgrassy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,049
Message 10 of 39

You're right, the installer won't launch on a non-HP system. I didn't think that hard drives were locked to a certain manufacturer, I thought they were all plug and play. I do not own any HP systems, and extracting the .exe with WinRAR does no good -- the installer still won't launch. I honestly have no clue what to do from here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors