Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arober32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 683
Message 1 of 4

P51s sata ribbon attachment FAIL-NO FIX

P51s Very cheap ribbon cable connecting disk drive to the motherboard completely broken during normal daily use. It looks like little piece of metal like a very thin paper clip. Laptop is now totally useless.

I thought this was supposed to be a higher end model but can't even get this right. This is unfortunate because I really loved this machine and would consider it bringing back the real THINKPAD feel and quality again.

I've owned tons of junk computers and never had this problem ONCE on any of them. Looks like I'll be going with a real laptop next time a DELL. Something that's not glued together with paperclips.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 623
Message 2 of 4

Re: P51s sata ribbon attachment FAIL-NO FIX

That is the way interconnections are done on all machines I have seen - not just Lenovo.  People want thin and light.  Even shrinking the bezels around screens translates into less room for cables.  That means no room for plugs, sockets and big cables.  There is no room for plug-in CPUs.  I know I broke one of those pinch-type connectors you are describing the first time I worked on a machine that had them, and they have gotten thinner since then.  

Because the machines are thinner and lighter, and the connections are more fragile, they are certainly less user-friendly as far as disassembly.  Also, more functions are integrated into the motherboard.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
wlry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 572
Message 3 of 4

Highlighted
arober32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 509
Message 4 of 4

I was hoping to close this issue as I was initially a little upset when I posted the first topic. This is decent laptop that I've been very pleased with other than this. But now I've recieved a bill from lenovo for $665? How is this not covered by the warranty?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors