Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinfmccarty
Paper Tape
Views: 12,830
Message 1 of 6

P51s vs P51 Questions

Hello!

I am looking into purchasing a workstation to use for the next three years of architecture graduate school as well as to take into the early years of my career after I graduate. I am deciding between the P51s (7600u, 16x2 @2133 ram, Quadro M520) and the P51 (7700HQ, 16x2 @2400 ram, Quadro M1200). I am of course trying to make my decision based on minimizing cost but still having enough power in the machine to handle CAD and renders. Basically, I want a durable and at least middle-of-the-road performer but want to minimize cost if possible. 

I am hoping that the fine folk of this forum can answer a few questions for me:

• As far as processors go what is the difference between the 7600u and the 7700HQ when it comes to my work in Rhino and a rendering engine?
  • The P51s and P51 have ram that operate at different speeds. Is there a great deal of productivity lost at 2133 instead of 2400?
  • Do I even need 32gb ram or will 16 suffice?
  • Would it be possible to down the line upgrade the GPU in the P51s (since it is the weak Quadro M520)? If possible what would a be a good option?
  • Is there a great deal of difference in a 1TB Opal2.0 and a RAID 0 1TB @5400 + 256GB SSD in terms of durability and speed?

Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,771
Message 2 of 6

Re: P51s vs P51 Questions

The CPUs are very different.  P51s is Low-voltage, dual-core.  Lower voltage means less powerful.  P51 is normal voltage, quad core. I am not familiar with Rhino.  If it can utilize the 4 cores, there would be a significant difference.   RAM speed would not make a significant difference.  Again, not knowing Rhino, I don't know how well it used memory.  You might try 16, but make sure it is a single DIMM so you can upgrade without throwing away 8GB DIMMs.  For most rendering, when it comes to memory, more is better.  (P51 can use 64GB)  There may be eGPU solutions, but in general, GPU upgrade is impractical.  The biggest benefit gained by using an SSD  is related to operating system files.  Reliability is complicated. HDDs often fail by developing bad sectors over time, so after failure, you can often get most data off the drive.   SSDs tend to fail all at once.  I use an SSD for my OS any use a spinning drive (no RAID) for data.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
justinfmccarty
Paper Tape
Views: 12,727
Message 3 of 6

@richk wrote:

The CPUs are very different.  P51s is Low-voltage, dual-core.  Lower voltage means less powerful.  P51 is normal voltage, quad core. I am not familiar with Rhino.  If it can utilize the 4 cores, there would be a significant difference.   RAM speed would not make a significant difference.  Again, not knowing Rhino, I don't know how well it used memory.  You might try 16, but make sure it is a single DIMM so you can upgrade without throwing away 8GB DIMMs.  For most rendering, when it comes to memory, more is better.  (P51 can use 64GB)  There may be eGPU solutions, but in general, GPU upgrade is impractical.  The biggest benefit gained by using an SSD  is related to operating system files.  Reliability is complicated. HDDs often fail by developing bad sectors over time, so after failure, you can often get most data off the drive.   SSDs tend to fail all at once.  I use an SSD for my OS any use a spinning drive (no RAID) for data.

Richk, thank you for the explanation. After some digging in Rhino forums, I have found the Rhino does not utilize multiple cores and the argument to futureproof a machine for next-gen software is also out as a future Rhino will not be improved much from multithreading. Given that I think the P51s will suffice.

My final question concerns your statement of upgrading a GPU as impractical. Could you explain why?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,703
Message 4 of 6

Soldered to the motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
DylanWarren
What's DOS?
Views: 10,090
Message 5 of 6

How happy are you in the end with your P51s? Do you find it useable when on battery? I was struggling with the same decision for my CAD 2d architecture work. 

justinfmccarty
Paper Tape
Views: 10,069
Message 6 of 6

I ended up with the P51 and am very happy, although it is almost always plugged in. I haven't had a chance to flex its muscle for full operation just yet during rendering or some more complex modeling. My girlfriend ended up with the P51s and seems to not have any battery qualms. She is in operations research, so a lot of "R" based query work. I like the P51s more from a portability standpoint, as the P51 is a rock compared to it. If I had to make the decision again I would probably go for the P51s. I can't imagine any 2D work giving it any trouble. 

I am planning on upgrading to a 4k screen down the road though now that I know I do not need to rely on the battery. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors