cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 498
Message 1 of 5

P52 Charging

I love my P52, even if it throttles the CPU a little too easy. 

What I don't love is that is won't receive any charge with a 90W adapter or USB-C unless it's hibernated or turned off (and not always then either). 

Previous models would give a message that it's not sufficient and use some battery to compensate, but now I have to drag a huge 170W adapter to meeting rooms at work, which are prewired with 90W which should give me more than enough hours on 90W plus battery to last all day. 

Is there a good reason to not support these ways to charge?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 353
Message 2 of 5

Re: P52 Charging

Hello sveintore! Welcome to Community Forums.

What is the wattage of the AC adapter that came with your machine? Based on the product specifications, the machine's AC adapter is 170W slim tip AC adapter and USB-C doesn't support power delivery. You may refer to the specs here https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P52/ThinkPad_P52_Platform_Specification....

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Guru
Views: 290
Message 3 of 5

Yes, I have both 170 and 135(?) Watt adapters. Both working. But I'm a bit annoyed that I have to bring those lumps with me to meeting rooms or on trips. Earlier models in the W-series could put the 90 Watts from the 90 Watt adapter into the battery and delay the battery depletion.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 266
Message 4 of 5

I have been using W and P series since W520 (maybe w510?) and they wouldn't start without a large adapter connected.  You could plug a 90w is after it was running and I believe there would be no protection against overloading the adapter (fire or overheating possibility) or damage to the laptop's internal power circuitry.  If you need additional run time, I suggest carrying an extra battery.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Guru
Views: 132
Message 5 of 5

I do, this one:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/power-banks/USB-C-Lapto...

Guess what, that doesn't work either Smiley Happy

But I still love the machine, but we won't be buying more of them to use at the office, because of these limitations.

A 90W adapter would deliver 90W and not be overloaded (but indeed running hot).
A extra battery for the computer would be same weight/size as the power adapter so no big help there Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals