Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,743
Message 101 of 135

Re: P52 - ELAN Touchpad driver (ETD.sys) issues (latency spikes, BSoD)

Here is the driver that fixes BSOD problem (n2cst10w.exe):  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhf520CTh6dw0EUM3wg

Here is the trial firmware to fix lag problem (ELAN_debug_3.zip):  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhf4R5oQWKwwEReMGSQ

To install this firmware:

1.  download and unzip it

2.  from P52_Debug_Firmware folder, double-click on iap1004_P52.exe

3.  on the Welcome to the Update... page, click Next

4.  on the Select Destination Location page, change the default location to something like C:\ElanDebug  (it is important to change the default path to some new folder which doesn't already exist)

5.  If you see a message like "The folder already exists", please go back to step 4 and try again

6.  on the Ready to Install page, click Install

7.  on the Completing the Update page, make sure the Run FWUpdate.exe checkbox is checked, then click on Finish

8.  Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the firmware update, which will take a minute or two

9.  Reboot

If you want to go back to production firmware, use the P52_production_firmware folder and follow the same steps.

shullf1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,733
Message 102 of 135

The biggest issues we have are with the lag. I've read through the thread, there does not appear to be a firmware version available that solves the lag/latency/floaty problem.

Do you still experience the lag, jcdad?

Thank you,
shullf1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,732
Message 103 of 135

Wow, Thanks for posting someotherguy,

We will give this a try, post haste!
Quantom8
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,684
Message 104 of 135

Hey someother guy,

I'm running a new T480s and have been experiencing input lag very similar to that documented in this thread, which happens to be the longest running thread on this issue.

The random lag has been pretty annoying and I'm wondering if there's any harm applying the fix you just posted for my T480s. The only thing stopping me from hitting the Install button is that this is a firmware update, something probably irreversible as there's no equivalent "production firmware" for the T480s out there.

Would there be any harm in me proceeding to update my firmware with the one you've just shared? If not, what actions would you recommend I take?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,650
Message 105 of 135

@Quantom8 wrote:
Hey someother guy,

I'm running a new T480s ...

No, you definitely don't want to put the P52 trial firmware on your T480s.

Please, open a separate thread in the T-series forum if you want to discuss a T480s problem.

shullf1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,645
Message 106 of 135

Hello Someotherguy,

I'm pleased to report that I have been running the debug firmware and updated driver on this P52 ELAN touchpad for a few hours this morning since 7 AM. I've been exclusively using the touchpad for daily tasks today to ensure it's thoroughly tested. Not once has it misbehaved. I'm immensely pleased so far. Previously, in as little as 5 minutes after boot, it would go into the "noise" mode and become extremely imprecise for lengthy periods of time. So far it's now been perfect.

It's difficult to convey how much better the device is, as a whole, now that the touchpad isn't s major source of usability frustration.

Thanks for posting, I hope this makes it out of beta and is made available on the driver website soon so the broader user base may also benefit.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,641
Message 107 of 135

shullf1, thanks for your feedback.  Can you please keep testing with the debug firmware and give me another update (either good or bad) in a couple days?

shullf1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,636
Message 108 of 135

Absolutely. We will also install this on another P52 in our UK operations base.
Of note: We have not experienced the crashes reported in this thread before, or we have not logged any BSOD crashes appropriately enough to attribute to the touchpad driver.
danejur
Punch Card
Views: 1,602
Message 109 of 135

Just to chime in, I still have not experienced any lag since installing the new firmware a few weeks ago. I have experienced a couple instances where the trackpad becomes unresponsive for a few seconds, but those occurances are few and far between.

P52User
Paper Tape
Views: 1,576
Message 110 of 135

@someotherguy Thank you for posting the new firmware and the driver. I'll give it a spin.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors