cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BetaDach
Serial Port
Views: 3,309
Message 1 of 122

P52 - ELAN Touchpad driver (ETD.sys) issues (latency spikes, BSoD)

Hello everyone,

I've received my shiny new P52 about 2 weeks ago. So far, things have been excellent. However, starting last week I noticed the touchpad behaving weirdly seemingly at random. After a random amount of time - which can range from approx. 30 minutes to multiple hours - a huge latency spike kicks in when using the touchpad. The touchpad and mouse buttons still work, but moving the mouse pointer feels extremely sluggish as the delay is within a 3-digit millisecond range.

Neither the keyboard, nor the trackpad are affected by these latency spikes. So far, these spikes went away after a short amount of time, ranging from a couple of seconds to about 2 to 3 minutes. On some (seemingly random) occasions however, inputs from either the touchpad or the mouse buttons at the bottom cause a BSoD on my fresh (and updated) Windows 10 install.

Here's a picture of the BSoD generated from the Windows minidump using BlueScreenView:

1.jpg

I've also thrown the minidump into the Windows debugger, which apparently points to the ETD.sys driver (which is the driver for the ELAN touchpad) being the cause for the system crash:

2.jpg

Unfortunately, I have zero experience in debugging the Windows kernel and Windows drivers, hence this is the only thing that I'm able to come up with right now.

I'm also running an Arch Linux installation (Linux 4.19) on a separate drive where I was not able to encounter this issue (neither latency spikes or kernel panics related to the touchpad) yet.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here? I've already tried rolling back drivers to the ones supplied through Windows Update. These appear to be the same version as the drivers that Lenovo ships on the support page for the P52, though.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT (11/7/18): There are also other threads describing the same issue here on the Lenovo forums, see:

Here's a minidump Windows has created during the latest BSoD I've encountered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r2FGHzCcE1yYXi0xlsXT5NeZvlvPpEFm/view?usp=sharing

I am running Windows 10 1809 (including all Windows and driver updates). My P52's BIOS is updated to version 1.14 which is the latest version at the time of writing this post.

MNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,227
Message 2 of 122

Re: P52 - ELAN Touchpad driver (ETD.sys) issues (latency spikes, BSoD)

Same problem here. I tried installing the Thinkpad Yoga 370 touchpad driver and the lag still happens. I am not sure but could it be a graphics driver issue ? 

Same as original poster, trackpoint has no lag and external mouse has no lag. Only the touchpad sometimes lags.  

As for BSOD, it happens infrequently here also.

I am using a I7-8850, P3200, 64(2x32gb) ram.

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134.376.

Also when I disconnect the power supply the screen turns on then off.

Edit: I had another p52 with the same specs except the ram was 16gb. SAME issue happened.

Please fix the touchpad issue as soon as possible Lenovo. This is unacceptable for an expensive workstation.

BetaDach
Serial Port
Views: 3,164
Message 3 of 122

I doubt that the touchpad issue is linked to the graphics driver considering that the latency spikes appear to happen on both Intel and NVIDIA (when running the Quadro dGPU in exclusive mode).
MNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,148
Message 4 of 122

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 a week ago with the Yoga 370 touchpad driver and it worked without latency until I installed the drivers(I had installed only the wifi driver before any other driver so it is safe I assume). After installing some driver it started to lag then I removed the Yoga 370 touchpad driver and installed the P52 touchpad driver and it continued to lag). I will try a fresh install with the wifi driver then will download Lenovo Vantage, Service Bridge, and System Update. After that I will install the drivers one by one with a couple hours or so in between to test it. After that I will install the Windows 10 Updates. 

I also noticed that when I uninstalled the Yoga touchpad driver and installed the P52 touchpad driver it said I need to restart to complete the installation. I didn't do that and so the middle button was disabled but there was no latency issues until I restarted.

I will add an extra post if I discover any new thing. 

If you try anything that works please post so that I can try that also.

Also if it doesn't work then at least we can let this forum post be reference for future owners.

patrickisbusy
Punch Card
Views: 3,137
Message 5 of 122

Your screen turning on and off when you unplug AC power is because your screen's refresh rate is changing. This happened to me at first too, but there's a setting in the Intel Graphics settings that sets the screen to run at a lower refresh rate while on battery.

Otherwise, I've been having the same touchpad issues since I got my P52. I use a mouse most of the time so it's not affecting me too much, but I would like to not have to use the mouse and not worry about the touchpad randomly getting laggy. I have also gotten the same BSOD a handful of times.

MNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,134
Message 6 of 122

Where do you access the Intel Graphics settings to change the refresh rate ?
patrickisbusy
Punch Card
Views: 3,128
Message 7 of 122

Right click the desktop and you'll see Intel Graphics Settings. It's under the Power option.

MNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,122
Message 8 of 122

Worked. Thanks !!!
Carghaez
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,937
Message 9 of 122

Same problem for me. It's really annoying that latency! I hope we could find a solution

Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 2,691
Message 10 of 122

I'm in the same situation with my replacement P52. wdf01000.sys BSOD every few hours on average if using the trackpad.

No BSOD if only using the mouse.

I've updated to Win 1809 and installed the latest firmware and driver updates for the trackpad:

- TrackPoint Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad

- Elantech ThinkPad UltraNav Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P52, P72

Totally unacceptable for a supposedly top machine costing nearly $6000 in Singapore. 

This has now gone on long enough. Lenovo are now causing me professional distress and I'm going to press for a complete refund.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors