Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irwhit
What's DOS?
Views: 263
Message 1 of 5

P52 Fingerprint scanner not working

Hi,

Fingerprint scanner on my P52 hasn't been working since day 1. Here's the series of events:

Tried to set up through windows hello, but during the fingerprint registration dialog I never got any confirmation that the fingerprint was scanning.

Uninstalled driver in device manager and restarted. No changes.

Went to bios and changed fingerprint scanner priority from external->internal to internal.. Scanner disappeared from windows hello and showed as disconnected in device manager.

Reverted the scanner priority setting in the bios. Scanner still showed as disconnected.

Ran "reset fingerprint data" in bios. Got message "No fingerprint scanner connected".

Opened up computer, physically disconnected scanner, started and shut down computer, reconnected, restarted. No change.

Bios and fingerprint driver are updated to the latest version.

I've contacted telephone tech support, but they have been useless. They can't even successfully transfer me to the 2nd tier technichian!

Thanks.

rjwheele
What's DOS?
Views: 253
Message 2 of 5

Re: P52 Fingerprint scanner not working

My fingerprint scanner was working until the latest update.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 154
Message 3 of 5

Hello Everyone! 

Welcome to the Lenovo community forums. Did you try to rollback the drivers? If that is not available, try to uninstall the driver and reboot the computer. If still persists, uninstall the biometrics/fingerprint drivers again and make sure that you put a check on delete the driver software for this device then click Uninstall.  Manually download and install the default drivers from our support website. Here is the link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-.... Entering the device serial number helps identify the drivers specifically designed for your device. Other things that you can do is to uninstall fingerprint scanner software in control panel via programs and features, to isolate the issue if the problem is due to corrupted windows OS you can create another local windows user/account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc..., and update BIOS. Download BIOS update via our support website: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-.... Hopefully everything goes well. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

rjwheele
What's DOS?
Views: 135
Message 4 of 5

I had the same problem, went through many of the selected solutions but it didn't fix the problem. I finally did a complete power off, waited several minutes for all of the hardware to lose its charge, and powerered back on. The  fingerprint scanner worked  after that.  it appears that something old was left in the hardware that didn't get reloaded with new microcode until the power was shut off.

I'm not guaranteeing this as a solution but you might try it and see if it works.

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 127
Message 5 of 5

From what you wrote, it smells like an issue with Fast start-up...

Fast start-up.jpgDisable this!

With this enabled, the hardware is not initialized on startup/shutdown, only reboots. It makes shutdown/startup behave as if the machine had been hibernated and resumed instead of a real shutdown/startup.

Hope it helps!

Martin,

Who has no fingerprint problems on his P52, Windows 10 Pro 1809.

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors