cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnw62
Punch Card
Views: 1,651
Message 1 of 8

P52 - How to turn off the display, without.. the laptop going into sleep-mode?

This issue seems to be a pretty difficult to solve, hope someone out there may come up with a solution.

Over the last few days I have been trying to figure out how I can:

1. turn of the display using a hotkey

and(!)

2. avoid the P52 going into sleep after a while of non-activity.

In fact, simulate the same situation as turning off the display using a power switch, like on a desktop.

Sadly a power switch isn't available.

Have tried out a number of options within Windows 10 power plan advanced settings (balanced).

Just now I have set the power plan to "Timers Off (Presentation)", which I believe is meant to leave the laptop running at maximum performance, i.e. never turn off display, never turn off the HDD, etc.

My experience is that I -should- leave the display turned ON then.

IF I use a hotkey to turn it off

I should not turn it off (using a hotkey*), then:

a. the screen turns on again, after 2-3 minutes  (some unknown wake up/timer is causing this)

and/or

b. if it stays turned off, then the laptop falls asleep

(* using Windows power plan->Advanced settings-> Power buttons and lid -> Sleep button action: Turn off the display, both battery and plugged in)

Windows 10 x64 Pro on Lenovo P52

Thanks!

below current settings

Capture-20122018 083547.png

Punch Card
Views: 1,535
Message 2 of 8

Re: P52 - How to turn off the display, without.. the laptop going into sleep-mode?

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish.  I found this article and tested it.  Works as described.

Description:  Enable display off timeout in registry, then set it to 1 minute.  Then, simply use  using the keyboard [Win] + [L] shortcut to lock the screen, and in 1 minute the display will power off.

https://winaero.com/blog/unlock-the-hidden-display-off-timeout-for-the-lock-screen-in-windows-10/

It worked for me.  I also tried setting the value to 0, but instead of instantly powering off, it seems to just disable the power off all together.

Alternatively, for INSTANT power-off, this second article provides a solution.  But it requires use of a free third party tool and a VB Script (shortcut on your desktop or wherever is convenient for you) instead of a hot-key, and will simultaneously lock your PC and turn off the monitor instantly:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-lock-windows-10-and-turn-off-the-display-with-one-click/

(I did not test this one)

Good luck!

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 1,599
Message 3 of 8

Re: P52 - How to turn off the display, without.. the laptop going into sleep-mode?

Easiest way is maybe this batch file for which you make a Desktop shortcut and assign it a keyboard shortcut:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Turn-off-screen-4d173e0a

There are also other methods described here:

https://www.intowindows.com/7-ways-to-turn-off-windows-10-laptop-screen/

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
len88
Punch Card
Views: 1,587
Message 4 of 8

@lnw62

Over the last few days I have been trying to figure out how I can:

1. turn of the display using a hotkey

and(!)

2. avoid the P52 going into sleep after a while of non-activity. 

I do exaclty that with this small utility -  LCD-Svr. It has very small footprint - 22,165 bytes. You can get it here -http://www.gate2.net.

Using AutoHotkey, I assigned Win+S hotkey and press it whenever I need to turn off display.

lnw62
Punch Card
Views: 1,544
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried the "Turn off Screen.bat" - indeed it turns off the display, but the display turns on again after 2-3 minutes

(for good order's sake: of course I don't tough the laptop/mouse)

Then I went on to check out the "7 Ways To Turn Off Windows 10 Laptop Screen" site. As for power and sleep: I have been trying everything possible over the last couple of days, without luck.

Checked out:

Turn Off Monitor.exe - same result as the "Turn off Screen.bat" 

Display off tool (doff.exe) - same results as above

Checked BIOS, but wouldn't know what to change, IF... at all it is matter of BIOS.

Seems there is some 'wake up' timer or something within Windows(?)
Anyway, it is strange not to be able to turn off the display, without the laptop going into sleep-mode.

SnagIt-20122018 082139.pngLenovo Thinkpad P52 - BIOS - Power settings

SnagIt-20122018 081801.pngThinkpad P52 BIOS Power Mode for Battery

SnagIt-20122018 082017.pngLenovo Thinkpad P52 - BIOS - Power - Scheme for Battery [Balanced]

lnw62
Punch Card
Views: 1,540
Message 6 of 8

Probably the only solution is to use Windows Control and Security->Power Options and select the

"Timers off (Presentation)" scheme.

I have given it a try and it seems to work,will have to monitor this.

(e.g. what happens when running a backup in the background)

Lenovo P52 - Power and Sleep plan - settings-01-15122018 110730.pngWindows 10 Power plan "Timers Off (Presentation)"

len88
Punch Card
Views: 1,524
Message 7 of 8

@lnw62 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried the "Turn off Screen.bat" - indeed it turns off the display, but the display turns on again after 2-3 minutes

(for good order's sake: of course I don't tough the laptop/mouse) 

Windows 10 is notorious for doing so Smiley Frustrated. Just keep it turning off again...

lnw62
Punch Card
Views: 1,505
Message 8 of 8

I indeed tried it a 2nd time, but the display was turned on again.

Probably it is some 'timer' and it is somewhere deep inside the registry.

As said, when I use the 'Timers Off' power plan, then things seem to work fine.

BTW: same applies when I 'share' my desktop and laptop - meaning that on my laptop and I can see my desktop v.v.

This is when using Network - Sharing.

Things go fine..

However, when using [Balanced]  power plan, at some point in time, the connection between laptop and desktop is 'lost'.

I need to refresh or reboot the laptop. Probably because, again some 'timer',  is causing the laptop go into sleep mode when it is not used for a while.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors